Brimah took over the game thread | The Boneyard

Brimah took over the game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To start the second half he was the offense. He finished 8-8 from the floor with 2 rebounds and a block in 11 minutes. Easy to live with that line.

Reaction Score
To start the second half he was the offense. He finished 8-8 from the floor with 2 rebounds and a block in 11 minutes. Easy to live with that line.

Yep it is but we aren't playing SCSU all year with 6'5 guys running around. Like the small jump hooks as he's showing something else. He is a factor when we can play him on the low block and let people attack whereas the alley oop is a problem for the defense. Still has to rebound the ball a lot better. Need him in the game to roam the middle and make people miss shots. Was nervous about him until at least he showed something 2nd half the put back on the miss was nice too. Early fouls yikes.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I hope its a glimpse of what will be coming this season
Again, as Mau stated, there wasn't much opposition as far as post players yesterday
The jump hook was a welcome site
Rebounding and keeping out of foul trouble will be key

Reaction Score
Really the only thing I took from it was that it was a nice variety of shots. He still looks like one of those wavy tube car dealership guys on some of his offensive moves, but if they go in I guess I can't complain.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The one thing I noticed was that Brimah was able to establish great post position down low, within 5 feet of the rim. This was because he was massive compared to Southern's front court players.

A lot of the time last year he couldn't get that position down low, so I'll withhold comment on Brimah's offensive skills until the regular season. Yesterday told me nothing.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
3 rebounds against Southern.
He only played 11 minutes in a game where we shot 70%. I'm not going to cruicfy his rebounding unless he starts averaging 3 rebounds a game in the regular season. KO was mixing the the lineup a lot yesterday and trying to get the freshman some more time, btw read on the UConn Blog Diarra sat due to a swollen knee being precautionary.

Reaction Score
He only played 11 minutes in a game where we shot 70%. I'm not going to cruicfy his rebounding unless he starts averaging 3 rebounds a game in the regular season. KO was mixing the the lineup a lot yesterday and trying to get the freshman some more time, btw read on the UConn Blog Diarra sat due to a swollen knee being precautionary.
makes sense. I'm just not going too get excited about Brimah because he dunked a bunch against Southern. Ive seen too much Brimah over the past three years to think he'll be anything more than what he's always been.

Reaction Score
Love Brimah, but he is not the type of player that takes over games. Brimah does literally nothing on his own besides block shots. One also does not "take over" blowout games for 3 minutes at a time. All of Brimah's offense necessitates a facilitator.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
For the last time, we played Southern. Took over the game? The game was over when the ball was tipped.

Reaction Score
There is no denying brimah looks wayyy bigger. I could live with less off balanced jump hooks from him, but i think he's going to be a more effective screener and rebounder this season. Atleast i hope.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
There is no denying brimah looks wayyy bigger. I could live with less off balanced jump hooks from him, but i think he's going to be a more effective screener and rebounder this season. Atleast i hope.
The past 3 seasons has shown he has not improved at screening or rebounding. Positioning and Jeff Adrien-like determination matters more in rebounding than 18" biceps.

**EDIT: Jeff Adrien had 20" biceps and a special knack to rebound the ball.

Reaction Score
The past 3 seasons has shown he has not improved at screening or rebounding. Positioning and Jeff Adrien-like determination matters more in rebounding than 18" biceps.

**EDIT: Jeff Adrien had 20" biceps and a special knack to rebound the ball.
he had bright spots late in the year, if he could duplicate similar AAC tourney performances we will be all set. I'm not looking for him to turn into some lotto pick, just long minutes and better ability to hold his ground in the paint more, just average rebounding is fine. Not only his arms but his legs look bigger too, when you talk about positioning after a shot, having increased strength helps that.

Reaction Score
**EDIT: Jeff Adrien had 20" biceps
No.... no. No he didn't. Not even close. Professional bodybuilders spend years and take god knows what to get 20" arms. These are 22". You telling me Adrien was anything close to this? Don't get me wrong, kid was genetically gifted and had some pipes. But he did not have anything close to 20" arms. That's way rarer than you think.

hqdefault.jpg

Reaction Score
I tuned on the radio broadcast of the New Haven game and the first thing I heard Joe D say was rebound Brimah with 3:58 to go in the half that's his first. A rebounder he is not. With our guards having to rebound on the defensive end it takes away from our ability to run. Against weak teams we can get away with it, but not against good teams. One of our bigs has got to become a rebounder.

Reaction Score
No.... no. No he didn't. Not even close. Professional bodybuilders spend years and take god knows what to get 20" arms. These are 22". You telling me Adrien was anything close to this? Don't get me wrong, kid was genetically gifted and had some pipes. But he did not have anything close to 20" arms. That's way rarer than you think.

hqdefault.jpg
That billy idol?

Reaction Score
I tuned on the radio broadcast of the New Haven game and the first thing I heard Joe D say was rebound Brimah with 3:58 to go in the half that's his first. A rebounder he is not. With our guards having to rebound on the defensive end it takes away from our ability to run. Against weak teams we can get away with it, but not against good teams. One of our bigs has got to become a rebounder.
He didn't play much the first half. He and his platoon, who started, only lasted 5 possessions initially before all being swapped out for a fresh five, and he didn't come in until near the end.

Reaction Score
Thanks to tcf I'm finally watching the game. In the 1st three pocessions we went to brimah twice. He got rejected and stripped. In all fairness he was fouled on the block, but he was blocked pretty emphatically.

If Brimah has any offensive game outside of wide open dunks it's probably foul line jump shots. He's just too slow and too sloppy with the ball to consistently score inside.

Reaction Score
The one thing I noticed was that Brimah was able to establish great post position down low, within 5 feet of the rim. This was because he was massive compared to Southern's front court players.

A lot of the time last year he couldn't get that position down low, so I'll withhold comment on Brimah's offensive skills until the regular season. Yesterday told me nothing.

I would argue that Brimah's offensive skills are hardly relevant, or worth commenting on, at this point. Barring an unforeseen jump, he is what he is offensively (a valuable piece, even without a post game or any discernible ball skills).

The other end will determine whether he'll continue to be what he's been or evolve into an all-conference type player. Can he stop committing the fouls that cut deeply into his minutes? Can he continue to improve as a rebounder? And perhaps most importantly, how does he progress as a pick-and-roll and secondary defender? Is he the dominant presence he was at times against Cincinnati or the guy that sometimes takes bad angles, over-pursues ball-handlers, and recklessly chases blocks?

If he can harness all that stuff, his value will far outweigh his statistical output. Because for somebody who is hailed as an elite defensive player, he hasn't really been that. The defense was mediocre in 2014-15 with him leading the show and demonstrably better last year in his absence. That has to change this season if his senior year is going to be a special one.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The guards had 75% of the rebounds yesterday
UConn's bigs were taller and bigger than SCSU
This just cant be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors