Brimah Needs to Be Bigger Part of Our Offense | The Boneyard

Brimah Needs to Be Bigger Part of Our Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's shown that he can hit the turnaround from 10-feet with consistency, yet the only time he gets the ball is for a dunk. I can't understand why he's not being utilized more. Our perimeter shooters are being blanketed, we need an inside out option. He can hit from the foul line and from outside the blocks. I wish KO would make him a focus of the offense.

Reaction Score
He's shown that he can hit the turnaround from 10-feet with consistency, yet the only time he gets the ball is for a dunk. I can't understand why he's not being utilized more. Our perimeter shooters are being blanketed, we need an inside out option. He can hit from the foul line and from outside the blocks. I wish KO would make him a focus of the offense.

Inside outside dp? He's awful on the block, not good at all, can't pass worth a lick. He can shoot it facing th basket so I'm good with a couple sets that get him looks from 12-15 but anything other than that is begging for a turnover. Long way to go before he's any part of the offense other than what you've seen.

Reaction Score
Inside outside dp? He's awful on the block, not good at all, can't pass worth a lick. He can shoot it facing th basket so I'm good with a couple sets that get him looks from 12-15 but anything other than that is begging for a turnover. Long way to go before he's any part of the offense other than what you've seen.
The frustrating thing is that the 1-2 times we go to him on offense, it is in the post, where he has very little offense. If you are going to let him create, at least have it be the face up jumper

Reaction Score
There have been games he was doing very well on offense. Uconn wants to shoot jumper after jumper and miss after miss. They still did not go inside to Brimah even when he had a 7/8 game. He said earlier in the season that the chemistry was not the same. He probably would be better if they got him more involved. But look closer at the losses. Temple he did well, the guards were horrible, Tulsa he shot well but foul out early and again guards not affective Houston, SMU and Stanford the same he was not the blame when you look at all of the missed jump shots. Only the Duke game was he completely removed for the game on offense and defense. This has been the most inconsistent 3 point shooting Uconn team I can remember

Reaction Score
Agree that Brimah is generally ineffective deep in the post... other than times when DHam creates havoc in the block. He is also constantly shoved under the basket or behind the backboard taking him out of position for a rebound. His face up shot is pretty good. The team might be better served having him roam the 8-10 foot arch on offense.

Reaction Score
Right now AB can't pass out of the block. His footwork is terrible with his back to the basket. He can't back his man down, no strength. Yes he can hit a 10ft jump shot from the baseline but that has to come in the flow of the game just like his oops.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Right now Brimah is an opportunistic offensive player. He can score when the other teams make a mistake, not putting a body on him when he approaches the basket, not covering him for the open jumper. These shots will go away if we make him a focus. He has no low post game.
But Brimah could still be a lottery pick if he puts in the work. He needs to put on 10-15 lbs this summer and he needs to learn to take a couple of dribbles to change position. I don't think he is ever going to me the second coming of Kareem. But, if he is constantly in movement the opportunities for dunks and jumpers increases. Standing on one side of the court and pretending he is Kareem will not work. He also seems to have some mental block about jumpers not being a manly point. Foolish. It's that little jumper that will get him to the next level.

Reaction Score
Right now Brimah is an opportunistic offensive player. He can score when the other teams make a mistake, not putting a body on him when he approaches the basket, not covering him for the open jumper. These shots will go away if we make him a focus. He has no low post game.
But Brimah could still be a lottery pick if he puts in the work. He needs to put on 10-15 lbs this summer and he needs to learn to take a couple of dribbles to change position. I don't think he is ever going to me the second coming of Kareem. But, if he is constantly in movement the opportunities for dunks and jumpers increases. Standing on one side of the court and pretending he is Kareem will not work. He also seems to have some mental block about jumpers not being a manly point. Foolish. It's that little jumper that will get him to the next level.

Not sure the NBA will ever view an "inactive" big man as a lottery pick. He never is proactive in getting position if someone is in his may for a rebound. He accepts where is and runs back the other way and that is unacceptable. Nothing changed there this year and I hate to harp on it, much is due to not understanding that game very well. It's funny, I think he thinks he's playing hard but if you watch the game he's really not. Not because he doesn't want to but instead because he doesn't know how to!

Reaction Score
If he goes to a big man camp the foot work will do wonders for him, along with 20 pounds of course.

Reaction Score
A week or two at a camp would be good. Consider how much can be gained with a legitimate big man assistant coach.

Reaction Score
Agreed mostly

Considering the progress he clearly made over the offseason (in spite of a surgically repaired shoulder), I think next year could be big. Dude needs to get stronger and make more room for himself. He rarely receives the ball in the paint (in situations other than oops).

Reaction Score
Agreed mostly

Considering the progress he clearly made over the offseason (in spite of a surgically repaired shoulder), I think next year could be big. Dude needs to get stronger and make more room for himself. He rarely receives the ball in the paint (in situations other than oops).

I believe he will be better even next year and also agree with all on his noticeable improvement this year. The only thing I will say and have said, for it to be dramatic enough to impact our team, it can't jus be physical in nature and being able to make a jump hook. He has to actually be thinking faster as the game moves along and reacting smarter and more consistent to his being in the right place for defense and rebounding. It's not all the physical aspect that prohibits him from being of more impact. He finds himself under the basket a lot because he gets lost not shoved.

He can be a major difference in how good we can be next year much like Thabeet his Jr year. Right now I believe him to be pretty short of that, but not unattainable.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Amida needs to get much stronger. The thing is, once he does, it's going to transform his game completely. Many of his fouls come because he's too weak to absorb contact at the rim on the defensive end. He's also not strong enough to back his defender down and push him into the paint to gain position once he has the ball. When he can do that, he'll have more high percentage shots and be able to score more in general.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I believe he will be better even next year and also agree with all on his noticeable improvement this year. The only thing I will say and have said, for it to be dramatic enough to impact our team, it can't jus be physical in nature and being able to make a jump hook. He has to actually be thinking faster as the game moves along and reacting smarter and more consistent to his being in the right place for defense and rebounding. It's not all the physical aspect that prohibits him from being of more impact. He finds himself under the basket a lot because he gets lost not shoved.

He can be a major difference in how good we can be next year much like Thabeet his Jr year. Right now I believe him to be pretty short of that, but not unattainable.
I wish PN had AB's body and athleticism. I know I'll get reamed for this but PN understands the game. But look how far he came from the beginning of his freshman year. He was just as lost if not more so than KF or AB when it came to where to be on the floor and bb instincts.

One other point to @dogpause op. Teams have decided to double team AB and sag off of anyone on the floor not named Ryan Boatright. They are daring UConn to beat them on the perimeter. Put last years players with this years version of AB and he would be a scoring machine imo.

H

huskymagic

Dogpause you have joined the magic dogma. Inside out is the way to go with this team. Relying on our set of guards to defend and make consistent shots from the perimeter isn't happening or working. Phil Nolan has improved as well and deserves to be starting over Kentan who has regressed and is very weak. I would like to see a starting lineup of Boat, Calhoun, Hamilton, Phil Nolan, and Amida. I reiterate Purvis is a TEASE and will torment gullible fans into believing he can be more than what he is. Purvis is a perfect sixth man, but even if Ollie starts him, he needs to get the quick hook if he isn't playing well or impact the game in the first five minutes. Ollie needs to learn from Calhoun on this. We need players with mental fortitude.

Lastly, Boatright needs to play much better in important games. He has had way too many lackluster performances. The game against Memphis was worst than the score indicated, and if not for Memphis collapsing at the end of the half, and the refs giving our players the benefit of the doubt, that game would have been a blowout. No excuse for a senior like him to play that poorly and have no impact last 6 minutes of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom