Brimah back in a week? | The Boneyard

Brimah back in a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
I would love to have him back for the Memphis game. They have the best frontcourt in the AAC and we'll need his rim protection.

Reaction Score
Two thoughts:
1. I hope we aren't rushing him.
2. In my opinion we have developed some defensive cohesion and Phil has looked pretty decent the last couple outings. I wonder if we want to initially bring Brimah off the bench.
As to #1 - agree completely.
As to #2 - don't care if he starts or not, as long as he plays as many minutes as he's physically capable of. We go as far as he goes. I love Phil, but there's no comparison between them as players.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Let's not make it like Phil is the reason our D has turned around or that Brimah was the reason why our defense was so bad initially.

Phil has used the time during Brimah's absence to carve out a nice bench role but back to the pine he will and should go once Amida gets the greenlight

Those charges and flops in the lane will now turn into more exciting shot blocking plays

Reaction Score
Let's not make it like Phil is the reason our D has turned around or that Brimah was the reason why our defense was so bad initially.

Phil has used the time during Brimah's absence to carve out a nice bench role but back to the pine he will and should go once Amida gets the greenlight

Those charges and flops in the lane will now turn into more exciting shot blocking plays

Wow you that blind? There's a lot more to the game than a blocked shot. Ever hear of hedging or help defense? And we don't win vs GTown without Phil, and if Amida was there and played 25 we lose - really that simple. Not saying AB doesn't deserve to play and start, just saying anyone convinced Phil should be back on the bench has very little knowledge of the game period.

Reaction Score
I very much think we are better off bringing him off the bench for a few reasons;

1) it lets him adjust to getting in game shape
2) it keeps him out of silly foul trouble while the refs set the tone early in the game
3) it forces the starters to maintain their recent defensive energy beginning with the tip-off
4) it significantly strengthens the bench especially he and Purvis

My only caveat to the above is I want Hamilton to run the majority of minutes with Purvis and Brimah as well.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Wow you that blind? There's a lot more to the game than a blocked shot. Ever hear of hedging or help defense? And we don't win vs GTown without Phil, and if Amida was there and played 25 we lose - really that simple. Not saying AB doesn't deserve to play and start, just saying anyone convinced Phil should be back on the bench has very little knowledge of the game period.
20/20 vision. Phil hedged tremendously vs DSR in that game - did he win the game for us? I wouldn't go that far but hey I'm not in the Phil Love group nor am I in the Phil Hate Group - to each his own

I'm a middle of the roader when it comes to Nolan - don't think he deserves some of the hate as he is what he is and don't think he deserves some of the over the top praise he receives at times (the Gtown game not being one of those times)

Reaction Score
Phil has had some good moments and done a serviceable job, but lets not over inflate him. Amida should be starting and should be seeing the majority of the minuets when he returns, he is a much better player, it is as simple as that. Phil should and undoubtedly will still have a role, but it will be as Amida's backup.

Reaction Score

Amida is a much better defensive player overall compared to Nolan . Not trying to shade Nolan it's just facts . To say there's no chance we win vs Georgetown with amida playing is just crazy.

Reaction Score
I very much think we are better off bringing him off the bench for a few reasons;

1) it lets him adjust to getting in game shape
2) it keeps him out of silly foul trouble while the refs set the tone early in the game
3) it forces the starters to maintain their recent defensive energy beginning with the tip-off
4) it significantly strengthens the bench especially he and Purvis

My only caveat to the above is I want Hamilton to run the majority of minutes with Purvis and Brimah as well.

We should put all of our starters on the bench. Then we'd have the best bench in the country!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Nolan is a serviceable backup big man whose skills dictate that he should continue to receive playing time when Brimah comes back. He's not going to be banished to the end of the bench.

Reaction Score
Amida is a much better defensive player overall compared to Nolan . Not trying to shade Nolan it's just facts . To say there's no chance we win vs Georgetown with amida playing is just crazy.

No it's not crazy, not at all. Unless you guys haven't been watching for 3 years all of those plays off the hedge on Rivera after he got hot and the charge are things AB does NOT do well at all. Not sure what's so hard for you guys to see. You want it all, you say "if we had Amida vs Tempe and Tulsa" well here's a spot we were better without him. He's the difference on offense now too :eek:. He's a nice piece now and Phil will be too. Against UCF you can't play him, the big guy will move him anywhere he wants and get in his chest the blocked shot will be negated. There are places and teams for each guy, let's just not throw Phil out he will be very important.

Geez I like the guy and I want him to come back and be part of the run but really 7/5/5 isn't close to a top 25 center in the NCAA we need more from him. But what he does bring can be perfect for the depth and requirements vs each different opponent we play. Leave it at that.

Reaction Score
We should put all of our starters on the bench. Then we'd have the best bench in the country!
Clearly were not there yet, but as advanced metrics become increasingly common in basketball, starting/backup won't matter at all to people a decade from now. It's like caring about a pitcher's wins in baseball; pointless.

Reaction Score
It would be great to have him back for Memphis, we had absolutely no answer for Shaq Goodwin last time other than letting him foul himself out of the game. I'm sure they'll be conservative and if he's not ready for Memphis maybe just keep him out for ECU as well just to be sure. We shouldn't need him that game (no jinx, no jinx, no jinx).

Reaction Score
No it's not crazy, not at all. Unless you guys haven't been watching for 3 years all of those plays off the hedge on Rivera after he got hot and the charge are things AB does NOT do well at all. Not sure what's so hard for you guys to see. You want it all, you say "if we had Amida vs Tempe and Tulsa" well here's a spot we were better without him. He's the difference on offense now too :eek:. He's a nice piece now and Phil will be too. Against UCF you can't play him, the big guy will move him anywhere he wants and get in his chest the blocked shot will be negated. There are places and teams for each guy, let's just not throw Phil out he will be very important.

Geez I like the guy and I want him to come back and be part of the run but really 7/5/5 isn't close to a top 25 center in the NCAA we need more from him. But what he does bring can be perfect for the depth and requirements vs each different opponent we play. Leave it at that.
No one fears driving the lane when Nolan is in, no one. So the charge was great, but Amida brings the fear of the block to opponents and keeps them out of the lane more. There is a reason Brimah was the defensive player of the year for the conference last year.

Nolan also has the highest TO rate per possesion on the team, and Brimah bring a lot more offensively as well.

No one wants to bench Nolan but Amida should be getting majority of the mins

Reaction Score
No one fears driving the lane when Nolan is in, no one. So the charge was great, but Amida brings the fear of the block to opponents and keeps them out of the lane more. There is a reason Brimah was the defensive player of the year for the conference last year.

Nolan also has the highest TO rate per possesion on the team, and Brimah bring a lot more offensively as well.

No one wants to bench Nolan but Amida should be getting majority of the mins

GTown shot how many 3's? Who drove the lane remind me Jer in the GTown game I saw no "lay up lines" as many of you like to pretend you see when he's not playing? My point is with match ups like that they will share time more now than before because Phil is playing well again. But if Phil goes back at all in his play obviously we will see more AB. Let's remember as great as this guy was he as averaging maybe just over 20 minutes without foul trouble so obviously KO and the staff also aren't as enamored with his overall play as many of you.

Reaction Score

So you would rather play Phil against Tacko Fall too?I know you're referring to Mcbride in this but you can't say we can't play Amida in this game. I'm sorry, but Amida is just a better defender overall. Phil is better at hedging and drawing charges, but AB is better in pretty much everything else, and I've been a Nolan supporter for a while now, just saying Brimah is not nearly as valueless as you think.

Reaction Score
So you would rather play Phil against Tacko Fall too?I know you're referring to Mcbride in this but you can't say we can't play Amida in this game. I'm sorry, but Amida is just a better defender overall. Phil is better at hedging and drawing charges, but AB is better in pretty much everything else, and I've been a Nolan supporter for a while now, just saying Brimah is not nearly as valueless as you think.

I didn't say he shouldn't play did I ? Not sure where you got that, I know we NEED Amida no doubt. Phil's better at hedging, help defense and drawing charges as well as ON MAN on the low block moves his feet better. Other than that AB is better I agree. What's that leave? Oh yeah blocked shots and I will admit they play a major role in some games. Keep them in play and they play even a more impactful role.

Having said that against certain teams who we can throw it over on O AB will have more impact on that end because it will keep people home on the baseline at times. This is all about team now - Phil is playing well enough to demand minutes at this point, at times as many as Ab and others not so much. But people throwing Phil back in the "pine" are really ignorant, that's the main point here.

Reaction Score
I didn't say he shouldn't play did I ? Not sure where you got that, I know we NEED Amida no doubt. Phil's better at hedging, help defense and drawing charges as well as ON MAN on the low block moves his feet better. Other than that AB is better I agree. What's that leave? Oh yeah blocked shots and I will admit they play a major role in some games. Keep them in play and they play even a more impactful role.

Having said that against certain teams who we can throw it over on O AB will have more impact on that end because it will keep people home on the baseline at times. This is all about team now - Phil is playing well enough to demand minutes at this point, at times as many as Ab and others not so much. But people throwing Phil back in the "pine" are really ignorant, that's the main point here.
The reason AB gets most of his blocks is because he is a very good help defender who erases mistakes made by players letting their man get by them. And by no means am I saying Phil shouldn't get minutes, I think he has proved his value, but you can't play him and AB at the same time, and AB is the starter. Phil deserves atleast 15-20 minutes a game the way he's been playing.

Reaction Score
Phil will get his minutes at the expense of Facey not Brimah I believe. Unless KO wants a chance of winning the opening tip I could still see Phil starting for a game or more when Amida returns. Curious to see how Nolan plays tomorrow against Ellis

Reaction Score
GTown shot how many 3's? Who drove the lane remind me Jer in the GTown game I saw no "lay up lines" as many of you like to pretend you see when he's not playing? My point is with match ups like that they will share time more now than before because Phil is playing well again. But if Phil goes back at all in his play obviously we will see more AB. Let's remember as great as this guy was he as averaging maybe just over 20 minutes without foul trouble so obviously KO and the staff also aren't as enamored with his overall play as many of you.
well to use your argument, Phil could not get off the bench when Amida was healthy and even now is only getting 12 min a game in his absence so KO and staff are clearly no where near as enamored with Phil as you are.

Gtown shot 50% (14-28) from 2, its where they scored the majority of their points .Also, I, unlike you, am not using 1 game to support my opinion, I never mentioned the Gtown game.

Again Phil will get and deserves a role, 10 -15 min a game if he can continue to be serviceable, but Amida is the much better player and deserves the majority of mins.

Reaction Score
The reason AB gets most of his blocks is because he is a very good help defender who erases mistakes made by players letting their man get by them. And by no means am I saying Phil shouldn't get minutes, I think he has proved his value, but you can't play him and AB at the same time, and AB is the starter. Phil deserves atleast 15-20 minutes a game the way he's been playing.

Amida gets his blocks because he tries to block everything not because he's a good help defender because he is not.

Reaction Score
well to use your argument, Phil could not get off the bench when Amida was healthy and even now is only getting 12 min a game in his absence so KO and staff are clearly no where near as enamored with Phil as you are.

Gtown shot 50% (14-28) from 2, its where they scored the majority of their points .Also, I, unlike you, am not using 1 game to support my opinion, I never mentioned the Gtown game.

Again Phil will get and deserves a role, 10 -15 min a game if he can continue to be serviceable, but Amida is the much better player and deserves the majority of mins.

Against most team I agree with all of this. Not against all though. And the only reason I mentioned the GTwon game because it is the only one I believe Phil's role would have been more important than AB's if they were both playing, especially at the end of the game. I am by no means leaving out AB's contribution it's going to be an improvement no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom