Brimah and Facey are good at defense. | The Boneyard

Brimah and Facey are good at defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I enjoy poking around CBB at Sports Reference and seeing how our players advanced stats have improved over the years. For this season they added box +/- which is the sum of a players offensive box +/- and their defensive box +/-. For those of you who are like me and didn't know what those mean, defensive box +/- is "A box score estimate of the defensive points per 100 possessions a player contributed above a league-average player, translated to an average team." Offensive box +/- is the same but just for offensive possessions.

Anyway, Brimah's Defensive box +/- was 8.5 which, if he qualified, would have tied him for 6th highest in the country.

Facey's Defensive box +/- was 6.1 which placed him a little bit outside the top 20 in the country.

I'm the first to admit that these guys have not progressed on the offensive end as much as I'd like since their freshman year, but according to the advanced stats, they're both beasts defensively. Now if only they could cut down on the fouling a bit.

PS - Here's a link to the stats for the team from last year: 2016 UConn Huskies Advanced stats are about halfway down the page.

Reaction Score
And this is why I always shaked my head when people shat on facey. He plays a valuable role for the team and he has some room to grow on the offensive end if he gains confidence. I've seen him stroke mid range jumpers like nothing during practices

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
And this is why I always shaked my head when people shat on facey. He plays a valuable role for the team and he has some room to grow on the offensive end if he gains confidence. I've seen him stroke mid range jumpers like nothing during practices

The past 2 years Facey always looked really great early in the year against the cupcakes and I was optimistic he'd finally taken a step forward. Unfortunately, by the time we get into the heart of our schedule Facey often dissappeared. He's struggled to find his role on the offensive end outside of offensive rebound put-backs. Also, despite his elite defensive numbers, he was caught out of position a lot and got foul in foul trouble frequently.

Facey's back to back late year struggles makes me think it's a confidence issue... something between the ears with him. Here's to hoping he can be more consistent throughout the year and maintain his confidence... that may be tough since Diarra seems to be built in a similar mold with a high motor. Between Facey, Diarra, and Vance (stretch 4), I think we'll be in better shape at the PF spot than most think. Still would be nice if one of the 3 could seize the spot for consistency purposes.

Reaction Score
I will only say this, because otherwise I will be killed, this is proof of how so many "stats" can be a bit off from the actual truth.;)
And by "actual truth", you of course mean your opinion. lol.

Reaction Score
And by "actual truth", you of course mean your opinion. lol.

No I mean the actual truth 7774. Neither are good defenders. If you see anything else you don't know much. One is a very good shot blocker (that is part of defense so it helps him rate higher no doubt) who is out of defensive position a lot. The other is out of position a lot also, does this make them good defenders?
Lack of understanding help defense and hedging (brimah has improved here a bit last year) is obvious too.

Haven't heard from you in a while, never would have believed it would have been here LOL:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
So the defense plays markedly better with Brimah on the court for 3 straight years because he's bad?
Being a shot blocker helps protect the rim. With AB on the bench too many layups were given up right up the middle. That is an eye test, that did not needs stats to bear it out. So yeh, team is better with AB on the floor.

Reaction Score
So the defense plays markedly better with Brimah on the court for 3 straight years because he's bad?

He's not bad, not sure I said that anywhere? He's not a "good" defender" is all I said. Is shot blocking the only part of the game on defense, just checking?

Of course they were better with him in there, who would have replaced him most of the time? Facey (worst) there were times they were better with Phil in there too over his first 3 years because AB can't guard a guy on the block at all they own him. I believe guarding your man on the low block is part of defense although I realize many of you think the blocked shot is enough. And just as an FYI his numbers this year were his worst blocking shots I believe. I won't look it up but I thought they should go the other way. He just needs to be a lot better, this may be the year.

Hey again, he's better than most of the options we have had for 3 years, does that make him a "beast" as a defender as mentioned? lol

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Brimah over helps a lot, constantly leaving himself out of position. For every block he has, there's a possession where he tries too hard for a block, which leads to an easy offensive rebound and put back.

The defense was better with Brimah out there, but when you're comparing his impact to our backup center, Phil Nolan, it's not hard to see why he was our best option.

Individually, he struggles in the post defending anyone with any kind of size. He's foul prone, and jumps at many pump fakes.

The point being, he affects the defense in a positive way. His rim protection definitely changes how easily teams finish at the rim. However, I wouldn't say he's a "good" defender. Good defenders are generally good at every aspect of defending, which Brimah simply isn't. Hopefully as a senior, he can improve as an individual defender.

Reaction Score
I disagree with most everything ITT:

- These statistics oversell his defensive impact (he's good defensively, with spurts of greatness, but not enough to where I consider him among the best defensive players in the country) and undersell his offensive impact. UConn has been dramatically better offensively with Brimah on the floor over the last two years. Defensively, we actually improved in his absence (this can be attributed at least in part to other guys getting better, and Phil Nolan being a valuable reserve).

- I actually don't know how to feel about Facey. He was phenomenal last year against Texas. Other games, he still looks list. Love him as a sixth or seventh man, not sure you can play him and Brimah together.

- Brimah has definitely improved a lot as a post defender. I don't consider him to be a liability down there anymore. As for over-helping, it's overstated. He's definitely prone to it, but he's the last line of defense. Where our defense has lost a bit from the Kemba/Bazz/Boat years is in guards rotating down to take away dump off passes down low and digging out rebounds. I think Adams can excel in that area in time. Some of it is on AB, certainly (the mental calculus that goes into distinguishing what is an allowable shot and what isn't is such a tricky part of the job; sometimes, AB will chase a shot that is already well enough contested and in the process takes himself out of rebounding position), but the defensive system is still designed to maximize AB's skill set.

- I've maintained that the coaching staff should emphasize conservative hedging techniques with AB. He has the tendency to over-pursue ball-handlers. With his wingspan, you can make up ground on shooters a lot more quickly than you think - he hasn't quite mastered the Hibbert/Gasol art of maintaining equal distance between the ball-handler and the roller. That's a tough skill, though, and it's understandable that it's one he still has trouble with at this age.

- He's not as much of a liability on the glass as people think. He's never going to be a great rebounder, but last season, he did a nice job of soaking up bodies and eliminating put backs. With D-Ham gone, though, somebody else is going to have to step up in that department as the guy who crashes from the perimeter to get the long boards.

Reaction Score
Brimah over helps a lot, constantly leaving himself out of position. For every block he has, there's a possession where he tries too hard for a block, which leads to an easy offensive rebound and put back.

The defense was better with Brimah out there, but when you're comparing his impact to our backup center, Phil Nolan, it's not hard to see why he was our best option.

Individually, he struggles in the post defending anyone with any kind of size. He's foul prone, and jumps at many pump fakes.

The point being, he affects the defense in a positive way. His rim protection definitely changes how easily teams finish at the rim. However, I wouldn't say he's a "good" defender. Good defenders are generally good at every aspect of defending, which Brimah simply isn't. Hopefully as a senior, he can improve as an individual defender.

what a ridiculous summary of what makes a good defensive center. KO's coverage is unforgivable, he isn't letting his bigs hang back on picknroll when not icing, Brimah is out there hard hedging and getting back for crazy chase down blocks in the half court for basically the last two years. he is all over the court causing havoc on closeouts when necessary on the perimeter. the whole "going for block and getting out of position" point is bizarre to, maybe you should look at defensive sieves allowing constant paint penetration forcing AB to rim protect. What, would you rather an open layup because a guard didn't contain the dribble or got squashed on a pick? In the nba if a guard constantly lets offensive player paint penetration he is benched ( see jeremy lamb)

KO owes a bunch to AB for his glistening defensive ratings as a coach. Cons for brimahs defense ( that he frankly solved towards the end of 2016)- defensive rebounding and not being too handsy. ask any player in the aac how his defense is ha.

Reaction Score
@champs99and04 The thing is brimah isn your typical center, he is fast, but doesn't have strong legs. On offensive he slips screens preferably ( to beat people with his speed) and on defense he seems very apt to hard hedge. all because of how fast he is. Sure if KO is schemeing vs an opposing team with no elite shooters he could dial it back a bit. But brimahs hard hedge flusters iffy d1 ball handlers, hence another positive of his game on that end. The problem is our help side defense wasn't up to the task vs elite teams: guys like hamilton calhoun and purvis aren't elite defenders like AB. they couldn't switch on a big and deter him.

Reaction Score
With Whiteside on the court, the Heat are surrendering 102.5 points per 100 possessions. When he sits, that number moves to 92.3.

That's an example of a person who sells out for blocks to the extent that his team does better defensively without him. Brimah may sell out too much, but he is a major net positive defensively. He won't be a great defender in the NBA, but for the NCAA the guy is an impact defender. It's that simple.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@champs99and04 The thing is brimah isn your typical center, he is fast, but doesn't have strong legs. On offensive he slips screens preferably ( to beat people with his speed) and on defense he seems very apt to hard hedge. all because of how fast he is. Sure if KO is schemeing vs an opposing team with no elite shooters he could dial it back a bit. But brimahs hard hedge flusters iffy d1 ball handlers, hence another positive of his game on that end. The problem is our help side defense wasn't up to the task vs elite teams: guys like hamilton calhoun and purvis aren't elite defenders like AB. they couldn't switch on a big and deter him.

I definitely don't question his speed. Balance and footwork have improved, but it isn't to the level that Nolan's was when KO was really ramping up the aggressiveness of the schemes mid-season.

Maybe it's just a hunch thing with me, but although his athleticism allows him to do a lot of things on the perimeter, I still think the closer to the basket, the better. I'd still be curious to review the data from last season, though. You could be right.

You're right about the fouls - for all the things people complain about re: Brimah, that's the only one really holding him back from being a great player.

Reaction Score
@champs99and04 well in my mind I agree he really shouldn't be exerting energy with long string out hedges every possession , that's like old big three scheme to force turnovers. On the back they had guys like battier who excelled at "bumping" and clogging the paint. I mean ab hard hedges a lot to compensate for gibbs purvis Hamilton inability to sliver screens too, it's a double sided coin.

Gilbert and Adams I think will be much better eviscerating screens , therein allowing ab to focus even more on rim protecting and rebounding positioning.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

OK AB is "fast". But that doesn't translate into rebounding ability, shot making ability, deciding when to and when not to leave his feet and how not to be bodied/knocked out of the play.
UConn, for the most part, may be a better defensive team with him in there taking into consideration his shot blocking ability.
To be a quality D1 center he needs to work on much, yet there is so little time
I so much want to see him do most of the things he needs to do.
Facey needs confidence, simple.
He has the tools but too many times he appears lost and disconnected.

Reaction Score
Brimah not only blocks a lot of shots, he changes a lot of shots. He also makes up for a lot of mistakes by his teammates.

Brimah is an elite defender. It's shocking how many people are unable to process what he does defensively.

It's like saying Wade Boggs was a poor hitter then criticizing him because he didn't have a lot of home runs.

Reaction Score
Brimah is an elite defender.

LOL, what's more amazing is that you process this thought from what you've seen. I mean you can say good if you want but elite, wow!

It's like saying Wade Boggs was an elite slugger.;)

Reaction Score
I agree that AB's shot blocking and threat of it are a great weapon but he is lacking in other areas like rebounding and general physicality which there is no number for. As for Facey he's a pretty good rebounder but once again a stick figure in the middle with no bulk and toughness. I'm hoping both of them pumped up this summer but I don't think it's in their DNA. Enoch has liabilities experience wise but he does have the bulk and size, very interested to see what he brings this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom