brimah...2lbs heavier?! | The Boneyard

brimah...2lbs heavier?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I read a few articles over the summer that claimed Brimah looks bigger. Wayne Norman said he's 2lbs heavier than last year....is that accurate...is that it?

Reaction Score
I read a few articles over the summer that claimed Brimah looks bigger. Wayne Norman said he's 2lbs heavier than last year....is that accurate...is that it?

You can maintain a weight while still getting stronger. Hopefully that's the case. Or he was listed higher than he really was last year

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He may have added muscle but dropped fat in the process.

Reaction Score
Going theory: Brimah only gained 2 pounds since last year.
1. "You can drop fat and gain muscle." Gotta agree with @Tenspro2002 on this one. He had virtually no fat to drop, and why would he be dropping it anyway? No reason to believe it was holding him back.
2. "He may have been listed heavier than he was last year, but not this year." Seems to me that whatever exaggeration in height and weight are employed are likely to be consistent year to year.

Love what Brimah brings to the team, and love his energy on the court, but if it's accurate that he didn't add any muscle in the last 8 months, then I'd consider that to be a bad sign for his long term prospects, and it would also make me wonder about what the system is for getting these guys stronger. From the eye test, it looked like the same Brimah under the boards that we've seen for 2 years already. It was only one game, but I'm now leaning toward the position that Brimah is not going to "get it," rebounding wise, in the next 1.5 years, and we're going to be working with him never being a forceful rebounder. Hopefully we can overcome that and play to his strengths.

And, of course, we'll always have St. Joes.

Reaction Score
Clearly not a fan of the weight room.

It's an interesting thought, because you know these players [should] have access to some of the best weight training in the world.

One of a few things happened:

1. He was listed incorrectly last year

2. He did not put on any good deal of weigh this year due to not working out

3. He worked out and did not gain any significant muscle mass

4. The staff did not think he needed to gain any real weight

If it's 1; no problem. If it's 2, it's his own problem. If it's 3, we need to take a look at our training staff, same with #4.

It's not hard to put on muscle - it's a matter of determination. I went from 5'8 160lbs to 5'8 195 within 12 months to play football at the high school level. No reason a D1 college basketball player can't put on 10-15lbs of muscle if they're working out correctly and it is the goal weight.

Reaction Score
I was sorta thinking the same. How is this possible? What kind of weight gain did guys like T. Knight, Donyell and other skinny guys have over the offseason? Daniels didn't put on weight very easily either, but i think he gained more than 2 lbs.

Another possibility. I made the comment based on Wayne Norman's comment. Maybe Wayne is wrong.

Reaction Score
#2....AB didn't lift and still has the hand strength of an 8 year old girl. Wouldn't trade him for anyone.

Reaction Score
I would even take him putting on 20 pounds of fat. Just sit him down at McD's for a few meals a day.

Reaction Score
I love how we have people on here questioning the strength and conditioning program. There isn't a "get big" scheme when it comes to athletes especially ones as tall and naturally lean as Brimah. Genetics play a huge role. They most likely have the kid in the gym 3-4 times a week (any more would be detrimental) eating 7,000+ calories a day. You just aren't going to see the progress in a guy like Brimah as you would in a guy like Purvis.

Reaction Score
I think the discussion about Amida and his size would go on forever. I mean as Fartman said his body type isn't going to turn into Emeka Okafor ever, just not genetically possible. I am quite sure he is wiry strong and capable of moving people if he actually knew how. The end result we have here has little to do with strength in most cases during the game but more to do with just not getting it. It's one game and not too many looked good out there yesterday so unfair to single him out anyway. But as Taste brought up above, it is alarming to see the same ole issues.

Reaction Score
I love how we have people on here questioning the strength and conditioning program. There isn't a "get big" scheme when it comes to athletes especially ones as tall and naturally lean as Brimah. Genetics play a huge role. They most likely have the kid in the gym 3-4 times a week (any more would be detrimental) eating 7,000+ calories a day. You just aren't going to see the progress in a guy like Brimah as you would in a guy like Purvis.

Exactly.. some people are predisposed to being thin and others to being large. Some people can't bulk up without an ungodly amount of weight lifting/supplements. Others can do it easily.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He has the body type of durant. It's nearly impossible for him to gain much weight

Reaction Score
Muscle weighs more than fat. So if you add muscle, you don't necessarily gain weight. My guess is that AB gained both but without knowing his percentage of body fat before and after, there is no way for us to tell.

Reaction Score
Clearly not a fan of the weight room.
When Brimah arrived at UConn he said he weighed 206lbs, and during the summer he said he was now up to 232lbs. Sounds like he's been putting in work to gain weight but I know reason goes out the window when discussing Brimah.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky