Brianna Banks | The Boneyard

Brianna Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Roger Cleaveland wrote an article in today's Waterbury Republican American on Brianna. The online site is paid subscription and for some reason is not allowing me to subscribe.

Does anyone here subscribe to the publication and, if so, can you provide a summary of Roger's piece on Brianna?

Thanks.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Roger Cleaveland wrote an article in today's Waterbury Republican American on Brianna. The online site is paid subscription and for some reason is not allowing me to subscribe.

Does anyone here subscribe to the publication and, if so, can you provide a summary of Roger's piece on Brianna?

Thanks.
Take a crowbar to your wallet!!! It's .75 cents!

Kidding!

You only need to read what was free.

Arguably the most unfamiliar or unknown player currently on the UConn women's basketball roster, freshman Brianna Banks chose the Huskies with the intention of emulating the careers of such players as Maya Moore, Diana Taurasi, Tina Charles and Rebecca Lobo.

One of the primary reasons those icons went to UConn was their desire to be pushed to new limits. Already talented, they sought a program where the coaching staff would maximize their potential rather than coddle or glorify them. That was Banks' biggest need in a college program.

"I came here because I felt like if anybody could make me the best, it would be coach Geno," Banks said. "I want to be the best in everything I can be: in myself, in life, in basketball and I felt like he could do that for me."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Brianna has the right mentality to play at UConn. And some unreal physical gifts to go along with it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Brianna has the right mentality to play at UConn. And some unreal physical gifts to go along with it.
couldn't agree more. after her eye-popping performance in the McD AA game, i think expectations for her ratcheted up. still, she came to UCONN as the least heralded of the trio, which is not an insult at all considering KML is the concensus #1 player, and Kiah is usually listed in the top 10 as the 2nd best center in the class.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Kidding!

LOL As I said in my post, wisea$$, I tried to register and pay the darned .75 cents but the site won't let me. I already read the free paragraphs so thanks for nothin'.

Reaction Score
That statement from Brianna is so powerful that it should be sent to every recruit that is thinking about UCONN. Timid or players with zero sense of humor need not apply......

C

crownfox2

I felt that Brianna is the hidden jewel of his class. I personally want to see her on Diggins. I think we handle ND this year. Just an early call based on whar I've seen so far.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I felt that Brianna is the hidden jewel of his class. I personally want to see her on Diggins. I think we handle ND this year. Just an early call based on whar I've seen so far.
I'd love to see Brianna shut down Diggins and all the elite sophomore guards.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I wouldnt want to put the "defend-Diggins" status on her just yet.

lets stick with Farris for now :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wouldnt want to put the "defend-Diggins" status on her just yet.

lets stick with Farris for now :)
Ok. We'll give Brianna until the SECOND Notre Dame game. That should be game 30.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I share your enthusiasm re: BBanks, and she may well develop into a great defender capable of giving SkyDigg some trouble. However, a player like Diggins requires great team effort. She has an incredible handle and she is constantly working off screens, etc. You try to follow her over the screen and she can take it to the lane in a heartbeat. You cheat under and she rises for the jumper. I think a lot of the time, the coaches are going to want our D to switch or even look to trap/double sometimes when Diggins has the ball, so one perimeter player is going to have to work as hard as the next. Not that one player won't have primary responsibility when we're in M2M defense, but you get my point. BBanks may well get the primary assignment on Diggins at some point, but I wouldn't necessarily throw her in the deep end just yet .......

This year we should have an improved bunch of perimeter defenders and depending on the lineup on the floor, our ability to switch effectively should be a strength: Kelly (who won't always be on the perimeter) and Tiff are excellent defenders and very quick, Bria is improved and we have added BBanks the waterbug: Geno says he is going to try and put her in situations where UCONN can exploit her defensive talents. OTOH, per the coaches' most recent comments, KML's on-ball defense needs some work and I'm not sure where CDoty will be defensively as far as lateral quickness and explosiveness. This is a still question mark. She's very smart so I think she'll be OK. Inside, we are a little softer around the basket without Maya coming over to help when a player (like Diggins) gets into the lane. Stef is much improved when it comes to altering and blocking some shots but she is still just a soph and is not like Tina was in her last couple of years (obviously no knock on Stef). Maya's help defense--which along with her rebounding was her biggest contribution defensively--will be sorely missed.

Incidentally, the two greatest defensive switching teams that I ever saw were both active around the same time. First, the 1989 Illinois team with Kendall Gill, Marcus Liberty, Kenny Battle, Nick Anderson, Lowell Hamilton and Stephen Bardo. Glen Rice's Michigan team beat them at the last second if memory serves, either in the Final Four or the regional final. Anyway, that Illinois team could switch all day and never care who ended up on whom. Five mid-size, tremendously athletic guys, basically. Just an unbelievable team. The other team was the Detroit Pistons of the late 80s. Not the same as far as being equivalent in size and athleticism across the board, but boy could they rotate on defense. It was a thing of beauty for a team that didn't play a very 'elegant' brand of basketball on the offensive end ...

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Just saw the video in the other post and I will continue here......I think Banks is a special young lady and I am so glad she chose Connecticut to continue her college basketball career.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Incidentally, the two greatest defensive switching teams that I ever saw were both active around the same time. First, the 1989 Illinois team with Kendall Gill, Marcus Liberty, Kenny Battle, Nick Anderson, Lowell Hamilton and Stephen Bardo. Glen Rice's Michigan team beat them at the last second if memory serves, either in the Final Four or the regional final. Anyway, that Illinois team could switch all day and never care who ended up on whom. Five mid-size, tremendously athletic guys, basically. Just an unbelievable team.

I really loved that team. So much fun to watch.

HGN

Reaction Score

Kidding!

You only need to read what was free.

Arguably the most unfamiliar or unknown player currently on the UConn women's basketball roster, freshman Brianna Banks chose the Huskies with the intention of emulating the careers of such players as Maya Moore, Diana Taurasi, Tina Charles and Rebecca Lobo.

One of the primary reasons those icons went to UConn was their desire to be pushed to new limits. Already talented, they sought a program where the coaching staff would maximize their potential rather than coddle or glorify them. That was Banks' biggest need in a college program.

"I came here because I felt like if anybody could make me the best, it would be coach Geno," Banks said. "I want to be the best in everything I can be: in myself, in life, in basketball and I felt like he could do that for me."
I think this is the right attitude to have as a player....A UConn Husky. Banks just pretty much explained why Geno wanted her. She wants to be the best and is willing to work hard to get there. She didnt ask for guaranteed playing time; she didnt go somewhere else because she was scared that UConn might sign other guards. She wants to compete. And thats what the UConn coaches want........... A Competitor.

Reaction Score
Speaking for myself, If I played a certain position on a team & another player arrived in regards to that same position that would only motivate me to be a better player with the competition. Some recruit's on the other hand, outside looking in, do a 180 & don't want the challenge. Good for Bank's!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
You gotta love this kid!!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
You gotta love this kid!!

I can't wait to see her play ...... I know she is going to make freshman mistakes, etc. etc. etc., and she is not a mainstay, but ooooooooooo she brings something new raw ingredients to the table, IMHO, for UCONN, that they really haven't had--at least in quite some time (if ever). I know Lorin was fast, but BBanks is at that same level, only at 5'9", with a crazy handle, gets to the rim at light-speed.... and that pull-up game !!!

:::::: rubbing hands together fiendishly ::::::::::::

Also, I think it's ideal that she comes to the team when they don't need to throw her in the deep end early, like Bria and Stef were last year out of necessity. She knows and the coaches know she can do a lot for us, but she needs some time to get the hang of UCONN basketball before we really lean on her too much. That much is clear from her interview. Love this kid is right !!!

Reaction Score
Brianna has the talent and determination to be a star at UCONN. I for one will not bet against her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
slideshow_1002100963_hs4girls.0312_HS11.JPG

Above: Nice elevation. And nice arms!

Below: Brianna's impersonation of Tiffany. :)

slideshow_1002100931_hs4girls.0312_HS02.JPG

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
+1 I think we're going to surprise some people.

Reaction Score
I really loved that team. So much fun to watch.

Yes, I loved that Illinois team too. It really killed me when they lost in
the semifinals to a Michigan team that they had beaten twice during
the regular season.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yes, I loved that Illinois team too. It really killed me when they lost in
the semifinals to a Michigan team that they had beaten twice during
the regular season.
Marcus Liberty... I recall him on the cover of some magazine while in HS (the next great) :(

Reaction Score
To me, and correct me if my comparison is wrong, is like a combo of Teresa Weatherspoon (with her defensive tenasity;passing skills) and Vickie Johnson (Her left hand abilities and jumper).. Obviously, I am a NYL fan, but Brianna gives geno a lot of options as far as the back court play. I have been know thorugh my basketball days as a nose gurad, lockdown defender with shooting abilities, so my primary focus was locking down on the playmaker. I feel like Brianna has those qualities at an elite collegiate level. Her "chip on the shoulder" is her maturity in her game, and understanding her role. A Kalana Greene in the making people.. and a left hander at that !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom