Brianna Banks | The Boneyard

Brianna Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
She was phenomenal this season prior to her injury and I was just wondering if there were any updates on her? I feel like I haven't heard anything about her since her injury happened.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Her surgery went fine, and she's just going to need some time to rehab. After the NC game, her teammates had to help her get up and down during the stand/sit team pics. I imagine she got a cadaver-based ACL surgery, so it's only one knee that needs rehab, but it will still take time. After that, it will probably take more time to feel fully confident when she jumps and cuts.

I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't well into the next season before she was all the way back. If that does prove to be the case, Saniya is going to have to play early.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I did think the attitude she displayed from the bench area during games after the injury was impressive. She seemed to be really enjoying herself and the success of her teammates and fully engaged in the action.
And the pics and video from the NCAA were great.
Attitude and team support during the rehab make a huge difference. Having CD and Shea around can't hurt either as they can recognize problems coping probably better than those who haven't gone through it. And can probably provide better support based on their experiences.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Her surgery went fine, and she's just going to need some time to rehab. After the NC game, her teammates had to help her get up and down during the stand/sit team pics. I imagine she got a cadaver-based ACL surgery, so it's only one knee that needs rehab, but it will still take time. After that, it will probably take more time to feel fully confident when she jumps and cuts.

I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't well into the next season before she was all the way back. If that does prove to be the case, Saniya is going to have to play early.

Thank you!!! Well I'm glad to hear everything has gone fine! I would imagine they would make her do some form of rehab for both knees just to help prevent an ACL tear to the other knee as a precaution.

HGN

Reaction Score
Also, not to be lost on support of Banks during her injury , is the support she got from the coaching staff. Got to give a Shout-Out to them. I noted that the coaching staff had her at every game after the injury , on road trips , and during the NCAA Tournament. They made sure that she was a part of the team all the way................My hats off to Geno and the coaching staff at UConn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Brianna was on crutches, I believe, for the first 2 NCAA tourney games in Storrs. By the Final Four, she was walking without them, albeit a bit stiff-legged. It seemed like progress to me.

Reaction Score
I imagine she got a cadaver-based ACL surgery, so it's only one knee that needs rehab, but it will still take time.

Why do you think that? That sort of transplant is very rare for athletes. I haven't seen anything, but I'd be surprised if they didn't use the patella tendon.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It probably depends on the injury or the circumstance. LINK I didn't find anything that recommended one procedure over the other although cadaver grafts may to be gaining in popularity.

There are also experimental surgeries using man made and animal materials.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I watch her on the sidelines sometimes, she's wearing a smile that says, "I really happy to be here, but Id still rather be playing".

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Why do you think that? That sort of transplant is very rare for athletes. I haven't seen anything, but I'd be surprised if they didn't use the patella tendon.
It was what they did the first couple of times with Caroline.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I watch her on the sidelines sometimes, she's wearing a smile that says, "I really happy to be here, but Id still rather be playing".
I too thought Brianna looked very positive after the injury, especially during the NCAA tourney. She had a big smile after we won.

Reaction Score
It was what they did the first couple of times with Caroline.

I believe Caroline's first and third surgeries used the patellar tendon. The second surgery - where the transplanted tendon failed - used a cadaver tendon.

Studies have shown a much higher rate of new tears when cadaver ACL's are used.

Reaction Score
It probably depends on the injury or the circumstance. LINK I didn't find anything that recommended one procedure over the other although cadaver grafts may to be gaining in popularity.

The great majority of ACL surgeries to repair athletes' torn ACL's till use the patellar tendon. Cadaver grafts are getting somewhat more popular among non-athletes because the recovery time is faster. However the risk of re-tearing the ACL for an athlete is much higher with that procedure than with the patellar tendon or with the hamstring.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I tore my ACL and damaged the patella enough that it was deemed not usable. So they actually used part of my hamstring, which I then re-tore. So they used a cadaver, which has held for 10 years and feel great. I wasn't a D1 athlete, but I am able to do whatever I want on it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
When the final buzzer sounded in the championship game and the players ran on to the court to hug each other and celebrate, Heather Buck, who was in the game at the end, ran towards the bench and lifted Briana Banks in her arms. #GreatTeammateandNurse

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When the final buzzer sounded in the championship game and the players ran on to the court to hug each other and celebrate, Heather Buck, who was in the game at the end, ran towards the bench and lifted Briana Banks in her arms. #GreatTeammateandNurse
Those nurses are great! :)

Reaction Score
Although not an integral part of the team in terms of minutes played, pts scored etc, Heather was gigantic with her team spirit and support of her teammates. Her teammates loved her and went crazy whenever she was able to get a basket at the end of games she came into. The story of her carrying brianna onto the court to join her teammates doesn't surprise me. She will be missed.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I missed that !!! Reason enough to go watch the final seconds again!

Reaction Score
I saw that, too, and wondered if I was the only one. All the players were running out on the floor and hugging whoever was close to them. Brianna started walking out stiffly, obviously a lot behind the others, and Heather ran towards her and hugged her. Made my already-respect for Heather go up a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom