Brianna Banks overlooked? | The Boneyard

Brianna Banks overlooked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Once again, a VERY solid performance by Ms. Banks. Disruptive on Defense, and killer 3's at just the right time that they were needed...This kid in no way resembles that same Brianna Banks who played last year...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Brianna played with confidence and aggression, something the team dearly needed last night. Someone mentioned the Sixth Woman Award last night; if she keeps playing like this, it's a real possibility.
I'm not sure if she is our 6th player or 7th player, but she is playing really well. People are taking note.

One of our posters noted, probably appropriately, that Brianna had played better against the 4 unranked teams than against TAMU or Purdue. I think last night was a demonstration that she can play well regardless of the competition.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I'm not sure about this...perhaps someone who was in the house can confirm or deny. It looked to me that Geno took out Kelly at the end with the specific purpose
of letting the fans give her a deserved ovation....and then did the same for BB....also deserved. True or not?

Reaction Score
Brianna played with confidence and aggression, something the team dearly needed last night. Someone mentioned the Sixth Woman Award last night; if she keeps playing like this, it's a real possibility.

A world of potential. Need her speed against the better teams.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about this...perhaps someone who was in the house can confirm or deny. It looked to me that Geno took out Kelly at the end with the specific purpose
of letting the fans give her a deserved ovation....and then did the same for BB....also deserved. True or not?

That's what I thought...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm not sure about this...perhaps someone who was in the house can confirm or deny. It looked to me that Geno took out Kelly at the end with the specific purpose of letting the fans give her a deserved ovation....and then did the same for BB....also deserved. True or not?
Yes, he did.

Reaction Score
She was outstanding.

I don't remember any other player making that big of a transformation from freshman to sophomore year? If a player is still not getting many minutes by the end of freshman season, it usually spells doom.

Reaction Score
One of our posters noted, probably appropriately, that Brianna had played better against the 4 unranked teams than against TAMU or Purdue. I think last night was a demonstration that she can play well regardless of the competition.

That poster provided a mea culpa in the game thread (as a major Brianna booster, I checked because I - and obviously many others - felt Brianna earned the mea culpa and the acknowledgement Geno gave her last night). Brianna is a great story and I'm hoping that all the BY can now treat her as the major contributor she has demonstrated herself to be. I am still amazed by the torment that she put on Maryland that led to a turnover (the turnover where Doris spoke so much about Brianna's contribution...).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She won't be overlooked for long. Even on a team with so much talent she has become a potent option for us. As a fan, I love watching these kids blossom. I am really enjoying her play this year.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
She was outstanding.

I don't remember any other player making that big of a transformation from freshman to sophomore year? If a player is still not getting many minutes by the end of freshman season, it usually spells doom.

That's an excellent question. Tina Charles improved a lot, but she started out as very good, and incrementally turned into a star, not really comparable to the kind of change we've seen in the BB. Banks has transformed form "will she ever get more than mop-up minutes" to "holy cow, she could be a starter on over 300 teams"

Maria Conlon showed a lot of improvement over her career, but I don't remember a frosh to soph jump like this.

I have a feeling I'm missing someone obvious.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Interestingly, Kerry Bascom may qualify.

She hit zero threes as a frosh, then 60 as a soph. Her scoring went from a decent 8 ppg to stratospheric 23 ppg. Her freethrow shooting percentage improved a 100 points, more importantly, she got the line more than twice as often. Her rebounds went up by half, and her assists doubled.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Tonya Boone played in only 9 games as a frosh, scoring less than point per game, then as a soph (after a redshirt year) played 14 minutes a game and scored 3.5 points per game. Not in Banks league, but a nice improvement.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's hard being a college freshman. I know we tend to look back on college nostalgically, but it really can be a big change. Brianna's a young woman who went through that change and did so coming from a small-ish community in Georgia to Connecticut. Like with many of us, she had something she'd wanted in her life to that point, but was a bit overwhelmed once she got it. It can be hard to go from being a big fish in a medium pond (she was Gatorade POY in Georgia, remember) to being in an environment where everyone is really, really good. I also got a sense from her body language last year that is she is very prideful, so if Geno chewed her out, she didn't like it and didn't process it in the way it was intended. Ultimately, she has been able to channel that pride in a productive way and take ownership of ensuring that the thing she thought she wanted ends up being what she imagined it would be. Her effort and energy are outstanding, and I'm really excited to see her push herself, as well as players like Morgan and Moriah (who now are behind her in the rotation). Seeing her live for the first time this year last night, I was really impressed by the way she just competed on every possession, on both ends of the court. Her confidence is growing, as is her teammates' confidence in her. And Geno's. Prior to the season, I thought it would be nice but not necessary if the positive stories published about her were true. Now? I think if UConn wins it all this year, she will have played a critical role in that accomplishment.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's hard being a college freshman. I know we tend to look back on college nostalgically, but it really can be a big change. Brianna's a young woman who went through that change and did so coming from a small-ish community in Georgia to Connecticut. Like with many of us, she had something she'd wanted in her life to that point, but was a bit overwhelmed once she got it. It can be hard to go from being a big fish in a medium pond (she was Gatorade POY in Georgia, remember) to being in an environment where everyone is really, really good. I also got a sense from her body language last year that is she is very prideful, so if Geno chewed her out, she didn't like it and didn't process it in the way it was intended. Ultimately, she has been able to channel that pride in a productive way and take ownership of ensuring that the thing she thought she wanted ends up being what she imagined it would be. Her effort and energy are outstanding, and I'm really excited to see her push herself, as well as players like Morgan and Moriah (who now are behind her in the rotation). Seeing her live for the first time this year last night, I was really impressed by the way she just competed on every possession, on both ends of the court. Her confidence is growing, as is her teammates' confidence in her. And Geno's. Prior to the season, I thought it would be nice but not necessary if the positive stories published about her were true. Now? I think if UConn wins it all this year, she will have played a critical role in that accomplishment.

Well said. Here's Geno on Brianna after last night:

"I don't have any reservations about putting her in the game," Auriemma said. "She has exceeded my expectations already. I thought it was going to take her half the year to kind of use that transition from where she was last year and becoming a player you can trust. She took the ball to the basket a couple of times, sometimes something good happened, sometimes it didn't but she didn't stop being aggressive. She is getting to the point where she doesn't listen to me that much which I guess is a good sign. She is a pretty good player. She launched the one 3 right in front of our bench and I was (ticked) and then I saw it go in and I said 'all right.' We had just talked about we got them in a 1 and 1 so Bria Hartley kept going to the basket and we kept going to the free-throw line. Once we got them in a 1 and 1, we wanted to keep attacking them on the dribble. Right in front of me and if I could have reached out, grabbed her hand and pulled it back ... But she has a lot of confidence right now, God bless her."

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Well said. Here's Geno on Brianna after last night:

"I don't have any reservations about putting her in the game," Auriemma said. "She has exceeded my expectations already...God bless her."

Great post Alex and Cat....and the above is high praise indeed. I love it when she comes into a game, pesters the hell out of the players, and then lights her rocket jets and blasts past the pack to score. I suspect that there is even more she can do, I am going to enjoy the revelation of the player that Brianna is becoming...

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
That's an excellent question. Tina Charles improved a lot, but she started out as very good, and incrementally turned into a star, not really comparable to the kind of change we've seen in the BB. Banks has transformed form "will she ever get more than mop-up minutes" to "holy cow, she could be a starter on over 300 teams"

Maria Conlon showed a lot of improvement over her career, but I don't remember a frosh to soph jump like this.

I cannot recall any UConn player making such a large change in her on court skills, and/or her personal maturity.

(BTW) I am the poster who raised the question about BB winning the 6th man award. If she keeps playing at her current high level, the award will be obvious to all. No other team in the BE will have a player of BB's talent who is not a starter.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There is a vast difference between players who had little opportunity for playing time as freshmen then getting opportunities to strut their stuff as sophomores do so and those players who had opportunities available to them like Brianna did and did not or could not use them and who then make a complete transformation as has Brianna to become the player we are watching now.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Kara Wolters is another player who made great strides from beginning to end, career-wise. As I recall, Kara wasn't recruited all that heavily, due to concerns about size, speed and athleticism. She went from being a definite "project" to, I think, Nat'l Player of the Year (certainly AA). So, pretty dramatic improvement!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

That was my impression also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog