Brian Davis (Austin American-Statesman) on UConn, Texas & Big 12 Expansion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brian Davis (Austin American-Statesman) on UConn, Texas & Big 12 Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We got planes now, so geography is overrated. We have to fly everywhere so extra hour or so won't hurt. We just need a seat at the table. If it is UCONN, Cincy, BYU, and Houston, we can live with that. However, it is damn annoying state of Texas has so much political influence over a sports conference.

Reaction Score
I just hope this is over soon (and that we're invited). If you told me a few years ago that we would be a possible Big 12 team I would've thought you were nuts. We need a seat at the P5 table and its a damn good league, just not a great fit geographically.

Once they've made their choices this should move fast for several reasons. #1 Any teams chosen want the invitation in a big way. #2 The league will want to avoid an extended process of negotiation making them look inept (again) and #3 Avoiding both leaks and possible poaching (you never know) by other leagues could be a factor.

The longer it goes the messier it gets. Hopefully they finally realize this. That said I'd be delighted if we had the opportunity to grow in the league and provide some content and stability to the group. Not only that but OU and or Texas may be looking for an ally politically down the road as they both value their leadership roles. We could be the new popular kid in class.

Reaction Score
You have to wonder if these four teams are added how the divisions will be drawn. My guess is Texahoma will want to stick together and the others will be in the "Canadian" division. Not balanced, but hey gotta keep UT and OU happy. Championship game at Jerry's World. I'm guessing there will be an 8 game conference schedule (6/2). That will give teams a chance to add another P5 game to their schedule.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
So he thinks it will be a plus for UH that other schools can put their volleyball teams in a van to drive to their games in Houston. What? There will only be three teams out of 14 that are close enough to get to Houston via the highway.....UT, Baylor and TCU. The others would all have to fly there anyway. I'm sure the relative logistics of getting your Olympic sports teams to one away venue aren't going to make any difference to the other seven current members of the league in terms of making or breaking the addition of UH. That said, Houston is relatively much closer to all the other present member schools, so I suppose if it came down to a minutely close call between UCONN and UH, that might be a small factor they'll consider.

Reaction Score
I just hope this is over soon (and that we're invited). If you told me a few years ago that we would be a possible Big 12 team I would've thought you were nuts. We need a seat at the P5 table and its a damn good league, just not a great fit geographically.
Most of the teams aren't a good fit for us either in the AAC. I'd love to have West Virginia back in our sights.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised the ACC would let the B12 grab UConn and plant another conference flag in the Northeast. You would think they would want to grab us before the B12. Plus, with the ACC network launching, you would think UConn content would be good for ratings. Who knows, maybe our good friends at ESPN told the ACC that we weren't going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom