Bria Traded To NY Liberty | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bria Traded To NY Liberty

Reaction Score
Well Washington traded Vaughn and Hartley to NY for Seattle's 6th pick in the first round.
NY traded Carolyn Swords to Seattle.
Who won the trade? I'd say NY. They received two players who can help, Hartley a starter and another Vaughn who can play Swords' position.
Who lost the trade? Washington. I doubt they can come close to replacing Hartley with the acquired pick.
Seattle. I don't know enough about Swords' skill set to evaluate their end of the trade.
Swords is great, better than Vaughn in my opinion. But Swords will be with Breanna which will be fun. The Liberty should be fun to watch too. And I'm sure Washington has their situation figured out since Coach T. is really smart.

Reaction Score
I think Stewie's doing a good job of replacing Lauren Jackson so far... and she hasn't reached her ceiling yet...
True, but Stewie and Lauren are different players. Seattle needed a true big inside to allow Stewie more flexibility in her responsibilities. It should really help Stewie to have someone else doing the rebounding, for instance.

Reaction Score
Kiah should be ready to move into the starting lineup. Swords was starting, and played the first 4 minutes, then Stokes would come in and play the rest of the quarter. All of their post players will see lots of time on the floor.
Let's hope Kiah is ready to take another step forward. She was more comfortable coming off the bench, but she has all the skills and the body to be a dominant starter.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Stef is probably involved in the trade for Edd.

For those not following the other thread - the agreed upon but not official until tomorrow EDD trade is: EDD for Kahleah Copper, Stef, and the #2 overall pick.

Another trade today with tangential UConn implications. Danielle Robinson to Phoenix for Izzy Harrison & #5 overall. Clears up the PG logjam in San Antonio with MoJeff clearly their PG of the future.

Reaction Score
True, but Stewie and Lauren are different players. Seattle needed a true big inside to allow Stewie more flexibility in her responsibilities. It should really help Stewie to have someone else doing the rebounding, for instance.
Actually Lauren had to work at banging in the middle... She was always more of a finesse player... she had to work and get used to banging down low. Also, Lauren always did have that complimentary player that banged down low.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'll be the first and only one to say it....
Alexis Jones should be a top 2 pick, if you waiting on her at #6 dream on..
All of this is assuming DeShields, Kaela Davis, Lexie Brown, Kelsey Mitchell don't go early. If they do some great options will be available with the #6 pick.
'Nuff said.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For those not following the other thread - the agreed upon but not official until tomorrow EDD trade is: EDD for Kahleah Copper, Stef, and the #2 overall pick.

Another trade today with tangential UConn implications. Danielle Robinson to Phoenix for Izzy Harrison & #5 overall. Clears up the PG logjam in San Antonio with MoJeff clearly their PG of the future.
Good trade for SA - they have two good draft picks plus a desperately needed center, and not bad for Phoenix as DT is better playing with a true PG which allows her more freedom to create and Robinson is good.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Good trade for SA - they have two good draft picks plus a desperately needed center, and not bad for Phoenix as DT is better playing with a true PG which allows her more freedom to create and Robinson is good.

Yeah, works for both teams.

I think it's a great trade for Phoenix. They don't need draft picks as they are in win now mode. And they have plenty of depth in the post. So they basically gave up what were, to them, spare parts and got an above-average starting PG.

Reaction Score
Well Washington traded Vaughn and Hartley to NY for Seattle's 6th pick in the first round.
Who won the trade? I'd say NY. They received two players who can help, Hartley a starter and another Vaughn who can play Swords' position.
Who lost the trade? Washington. I doubt they can come close to replacing Hartley with the acquired pick.
Seattle. I don't know enough about Swords' skill set to evaluate their end of the trade.

These trades are baffling unless there's more to come in the near future.

Swords will help Seattle. She's a solid scorer inside the paint.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Yeah, works for both teams.

I think it's a great trade for Phoenix. They don't need draft picks as they are in win now mode. And they have plenty of depth in the post. So they basically gave up what were, to them, spare parts and got an above-average starting PG.

Agree with both of you that this trade addressed both teams' needs.

If memory holds, Izzy Harrison had solid junior and senior years at Tennessee. Kayla Alexander (Syracuse) rebounded pretty well for the Stars in a back-up role and forward Dearica Hanby (Wake Forest) also hit the boards and scored pretty well from the "power" forward position (nearly 10 points per game). Both are young, joining long-time warrior Monique Curry.

But the key elements are obvious Ms.'s Jefferson and McBride. What does one do with that #1 and 5 picks?
McBride can "wing" it (she rebounds well), so do you concentrate one pick on scoring?
Options:
- Have Kelsey Plum join Moriah? Freed of ball-handling responsibilities, Plum could just let her arm fall off shooting. Or is having the ball critical to her success? (For some reason, I could see both of them working well together.)
- Speaking of shooting, Kelsey Mitchell of Ohio State is already 22 years old, so she could conceivably come out in this draft.

Plum and Mitchell are both only 5.8", which would give the Stars a small(er) guard line-up so one could look at:
- Mikayla Epps of Kentucky is a senior and 5'11", but don't see her as top 5 material.
- Sydney Wiese of Oregon State is 6'0", has an outstanding 3-pt. shot and is a dogged defender. Fast enough?
or -- the nuclear option:
- Diamond DeShields, all 6'1" of her, who has a March 5th birthday and would be eligible to come out. Does Riley take a chance that Moriah, Monique and Kayla can reel her in?

With the other slot: regardless of Harrison, does Riley look for another center....Brionna Jones (Md.), Mercedes Russell (Tn., if she comes out) or Alaina Coates (S. Carolina)?

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Washington is clearing cap space for Elena Della Donne...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Agree with both of you that this trade addressed both teams' needs.

If memory holds, Izzy Harrison had solid junior and senior years at Tennessee. Kayla Alexander (Syracuse) rebounded pretty well for the Stars in a back-up role and forward Dearica Hanby (Wake Forest) also hit the boards and scored pretty well from the "power" forward position (nearly 10 points per game). Both are young, joining long-time warrior Monique Curry.

But the key elements are obvious Ms.'s Jefferson and McBride. What does one do with that #1 and 5 picks?

The answer I'm hoping for is "Talk themselves out of Kelsey Plum" so my Sky can take her at #2. I need some kind of silver lining from this Delle Debacle.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The answer I'm hoping for is "Talk themselves out of Kelsey Plum" so my Sky can take her at #2. I need some kind of silver lining from this Delle Debacle.

As a lifelong N.Y. Knick fan in the era of James Dolan-ownership, I feel can very much feel your pain...save I'm virtually too numb to recognize it. :eek: Head bang

The only silver lining re: the Knicks is it allows more time for WBB.

You did answer my question about Plum, though ;)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Assuming no players (DeShields, Greenwell, Mitchell, Brown, Russell, etc.), leave early, here are my thoughts...

San Antonio needs offense. The team only averaged 72.0 ppg last year (in part due to McBride's injury, but also because of a lack of offensively talented players). Not only was SAS' scoring last in the WNBA, it was by a mile...the 11th place team in offense, Indiana, scored 80.5 ppg. Coupled with that, San Antonio was 10th in the league in assists last year. And SAS was also near the bottom in FG% and 3ptFG%

The team needs:
1) a guard/wing who can create her own shot, but also be a secondary distributor and also defend;
2) a post presence who can score, defend, and be physical on the glass;
3) time to develop its core going forward (Jefferson, McBride, Hamby); and
4) depth.

1) For the guard/wing position, I am going with Baylor's Alexis Jones. First, she is a combo guard who can be a primary playmaker at an elite level. Second, she knows the perfect balance of scoring and distributing - this year, she is averaging 15.8 ppg and 4.93 apg, while shooting 43.2 percent from the floor and 45.7 percent from three (and making nearly 3 three-point shots per game). Her A/TO is over 2:1. In addition, she is an elite athlete and very good defender.

Also, Jones proved at Duke that she can be a secondary playmaker while playing next to a great point guard/distributor, like she did with Chelsea Gray. She will have that in Moriah Jefferson in San Antonio.

This allows McBride to move to the three. She is a tad undersized for the position at 5-11, but it will benefit her game tremendously. Having to be a #1 or #2 option in San Antonio, without much help, proved difficult last year for her (pre-injury), in terms of constantly having the focus of the opposition's best defender. But having Jefferson/A. Jones/McBride together means there is offensive firepower from all over the floor. Having another perimeter threat will definitely balance out the offense and help her get more open looks, instead of having to create as much as she did.

2) For the post presence, I am going with Maryland's Brionna Jones. First, she is incredibly efficient offensively, averaging 19.4 points on 69.2 percent shooting. She is also shooting over 73 percent from the line, which is quite good for a post player. And she has only turned the ball over 25 times (22 games) all season.

Since Maryland does not play the toughest schedule, I looked at her games against ranked opponents the past two years. Her numbers are remarkable...and UConn fans know how tough she is from last year, putting up 24 points (12-14 shooting) and 7 rebounds against a frontcourt that featured Stewart and Tuck.

And with a lineup of Jefferson, McBride, and (hopefully) A. Jones, she would be the perfect complement because she is not only incredibly efficient offensively and can own the glass defensively, she does not need the ball in her hands to have an impact.

At 6-3, she might be a tad undersized, but she has proven that she can play with bigger players and still be a force.

So the lineup would look like this:

PG: Jefferson
SG/PG: A. Jones
G/W: McBride
F: Hamby
P: B. Jones

That leaves the bench as follows:

SG: Sydney Colson
G/F: Alex Montgomery
SF: Monique Currie
F: Haley Peters
C: Kayla Alexander (restricted free agent; assuming SA matches any offer)
C: Astou Ndour

Frankly, the team still needs a backup point guard (teams can carry 12 players), but this roster looks much better. The team will still be young, but all five starters will be under 25 years of age. This is a nice core to have to build for the future.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Assuming no players (DeShields, Greenwell, Mitchell, Brown, Russell, etc.), leave early, here are my thoughts...

San Antonio needs offense. The team only averaged 72.0 ppg last year (in part due to McBride's injury, but also because of a lack of offensively talented players). Not only was SAS' scoring last in the WNBA, it was by a mile...the 11th place team in offense, Indiana, scored 80.5 ppg. Coupled with that, San Antonio was 10th in the league in assists last year. And SAS was also near the bottom in FG% and 3ptFG%

The team needs:
1) a guard/wing who can create her own shot, but also be a secondary distributor and also defend;
4) depth.

1) For the guard/wing position, I am going with Baylor's Alexis Jones. First, she is a combo guard who can be a primary playmaker at an elite level. Second, she knows the perfect balance of scoring and distributing - this year, she is averaging 15.8 ppg and 4.93 apg, while shooting 43.2 percent from the floor and 45.7 percent from three (and making nearly 3 three-point shots per game). Her A/TO is over 2:1. In addition, she is an elite athlete and very good defender.

Also, Jones proved at Duke that she can be a secondary playmaker while playing next to a great point guard/distributor, like she did with Chelsea Gray. She will have that in Moriah Jefferson in San Antonio.

This allows McBride to move to the three. She is a tad undersized for the position at 5-11, but it will benefit her game tremendously. Having to be a #1 or #2 option in San Antonio, without much help, proved difficult last year for her (pre-injury), in terms of constantly having the focus of the opposition's best defender. But having Jefferson/A. Jones/McBride together means there is offensive firepower from all over the floor. Having another perimeter threat will definitely balance out the offense and help her get more open looks, instead of having to create as much as she did.

2) For the post presence, I am going with Maryland's Brionna Jones. First, she is incredibly efficient offensively, averaging 19.4 points on 69.2 percent shooting. She is also shooting over 73 percent from the line, which is quite good for a post player. And she has only turned the ball over 25 times (22 games) all season.

Since Maryland does not play the toughest schedule, I looked at her games against ranked opponents the past two years. Her numbers are remarkable...and UConn fans know how tough she is from last year, putting up 24 points (12-14 shooting) and 7 rebounds against a frontcourt that featured Stewart and Tuck.

And with a lineup of Jefferson, McBride, and (hopefully) A. Jones, she would be the perfect complement because she is not only incredibly efficient offensively and can own the glass defensively, she does not need the ball in her hands to have an impact.

At 6-3, she might be a tad undersized, but she has proven that she can play with bigger players and still be a force.

Frankly, the team still needs a backup point guard (teams can carry 12 players), but this roster looks much better. The team will still be young, but all five starters will be under 25 years of age. This is a nice core to have to build for the future.

On your line-ups, don't forget the Stars just received Harrison, or do you see her being shipped somewhere else?

Next question: what happens if these players do come out? Do you take Jones over Russell at the post? Or does Jones & Harrison/Alexander give you the offense/defense combination?

I have not seen enough of Jones this year to see if she merits that high a draft choice. I get you about the versatility, but given that you have two draft choices, do you "gamble" a little with one of them. Yes, I'm thinking Plum or DeShields. Plum can also play minutes at the point....

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
With the other slot: regardless of Harrison, does Riley look for another center....Brionna Jones (Md.), Mercedes Russell (Tn., if she comes out) or Alaina Coates (S. Carolina)?

Any other ideas?

On that note, San Antonio signed Erika de Souza today.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Looks like GM Ruth Riley is getting more than a few choices to fill that post rotation.
On another note, Erika's bringing a lot of experience...she easily could've played against her GM at some point!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

San Antonio is going to be a very exciting team to watch, especially if K-Mac comes back healthy. It could be that this year she's not really her old self, and it might take another year. But who knows. I like the additions of Izzy H and de Souza.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
On your line-ups, don't forget the Stars just received Harrison, or do you see her being shipped somewhere else?

Next question: what happens if these players do come out? Do you take Jones over Russell at the post? Or does Jones & Harrison/Alexander give you the offense/defense combination?

I have not seen enough of Jones this year to see if she merits that high a draft choice. I get you about the versatility, but given that you have two draft choices, do you "gamble" a little with one of them. Yes, I'm thinking Plum or DeShields. Plum can also play minutes at the point....

Since SAS just signed de Souza and has Harrison now (thank you for the reminder), I would definitely take Jones over Russell. Not even a question.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

The team needs:
4) depth.

I was paging through this thread and read this post. I found myself agreeing more and more. When I got to the end, I went back up to see who wrote it. Of course, I thought, Cam really knows his stuff.

DeSouza will be a nice addition and an upgrade relative to Jayne, though she is a little old. If Brionna Jones is fast enough, I like her as a pick. I love the combo of Moriah, Alexis Jones, and McBride. I thought that Colson played decently as the backup PG last year. I also think that SA can move Alexis to PG when Mo is out, just as Seattle plays Jewell at PG (though it's not very effective in Seattle).

I look for SA to be one of the most improved teams as early as 2017. Getting KMac back is a big help, but they can add some nice talent in the draft.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog