bria holmes | The Boneyard

bria holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i dont understand why uconn just doesnt go with Bria Holmes instead of xylina.... Bria already said she loved uconn.. and she is a connecticut native...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
i dont understand why uconn just doesnt go with Bria Holmes instead of xylina.... Bria already said she loved uconn.. and she is a connecticut native...
I think Geno likes her but does not see her as a good enough fit.

Reaction Score
i think that xylina might not come to uconn she'll probably play for south carolina

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
no one knows for sure except people close to the situation, but Geno has been to see Xylena play at least once and maybe several times. he apparently really not only likes her game, but her grit and work ethic as well. some of this is speculation based on what we've read. she strikes me as a real blue collar player with a strong work ethic.

as Mil said, for whatever reason, Geno sees Xylena as a better fit. it's nothing against Bria Holmes. but these kids have talked to Geno, the assistants, and the possible teammates, and Geno's gotten to see them play and gotten a feel for them as players and people. Geno has his own reasons for not offering Bria.

honestly, if you look at the rankings for Xylena and read the recent comments about those who have seen her play, i honestly don't know why we are recruiting Xylena either. but her play is consistently better than Bria's...

in the deep south classis this past april, it was reported... "Like her teammates, not her best showing. Looks to be doing more off the dribble and working more in the high post and on the perimeter rather than down low. Didn't see the power game that has defined her play in the past. Her play wasn't poor but it wasn't what it has been in previous events"

in February, this is what they said... " Lacks consistent skill, jumper is erratic. Righty, finishes around the rim. Worker, grinder in the lane. Hi-lo type of 4/5. Has to be consistent at the free-throw line with her jumper. Always around the ball. Rebounds, defends"

This was around the time HG was dropping her in their rankings. in earlier evaluations they raved about her. Perhaps that's the potential Geno sees and covets.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
i think that xylina might not come to uconn she'll probably play for south carolina
Or North Carolina.

I think Xylina will be close. Recently, she said that her father told her that she would have a good life through basketball. That is far more likely if she plays for Geno.

If we miss on X, we try harder for Stephanie Mavunga in 2013.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
no one knows for sure except people close to the situation, but Geno has been to see Xylena play at least once and maybe several times. he apparently really not only likes her game, but her grit and work ethic as well. some of this is speculation based on what we've read. she strikes me as a real blue collar player with a strong work ethic.

as Mil said, for whatever reason, Geno sees Xylena as a better fit. it's nothing against Bria Holmes. but these kids have talked to Geno, the assistants, and the possible teammates, and Geno's gotten to see them play and gotten a feel for them as players and people. Geno has his own reasons for not offering Bria.

honestly, if you look at the rankings for Xylena and read the recent comments about those who have seen her play, i honestly don't know why we are recruiting Xylena either. but her play is consistently better than Bria's...

in the deep south classis this past april, it was reported... "Like her teammates, not her best showing. Looks to be doing more off the dribble and working more in the high post and on the perimeter rather than down low. Didn't see the power game that has defined her play in the past. Her play wasn't poor but it wasn't what it has been in previous events"

in February, this is what they said... " Lacks consistent skill, jumper is erratic. Righty, finishes around the rim. Worker, grinder in the lane. Hi-lo type of 4/5. Has to be consistent at the free-throw line with her jumper. Always around the ball. Rebounds, defends"

This was around the time HG was dropping her in their rankings. in earlier evaluations they raved about her. Perhaps that's the potential Geno sees and covets.

Good points Eric!

Reaction Score
It is interesting for me that Geno wants X so much. She seems like a tweener at this point. At 6'1 she is kind of short to play in the post and doesn’t seem to have a great outside shot or the skill set to play the 3 (at this point at least) at the college level. I didn’t see her play and this is reading about her game from the evaluations so I can be clearly wrong (or I hope I’m wrong). Clearly Geno sees some great potential in her and wants her so I hope she comes to UConn!

Reaction Score
or geno not offering her has to do with players like jaqui fernandez and heather buck.. they were both from CT and didnt/dont contribute to the team... I was reading that Bria Holmes might be one of the best players to come out of Connecticut along with Jen R.

Reaction Score
if Bria doesnt get offered, i hope she goes to an out of conference school... cause i wouldnt want her at rutger or west virginia

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It is interesting for me that Geno wants X so much. She seems like a tweener at this point. At 6'1 she is kind of short to play in the post and doesn’t seem to have a great outside shot or the skill set to play the 3 (at this point at least) at the college level. I didn’t see her play and this is reading about her game from the evaluations so I can be clearly wrong (or I hope I’m wrong). Clearly Geno sees some great potential in her and wants her so I hope she comes to UConn!
agreed. HG lists her at 6'2", but i think she's more 6'1". Honestly she seems to me to be a lesser version of Morgan Tuck. i hate to sound like i'm picking on her because even tho we've heard nothing about it lately, when she was up visiting and we were reading comments it sounded like Geno REALLY liked and wanted her.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
or geno not offering her has to do with players like jaqui fernandez and heather buck.. they were both from CT and didnt/dont contribute to the team... I was reading that Bria Holmes might be one of the best players to come out of Connecticut along with Jen R.
she may well be. one of the highest rated players for sure. but both blue star and HG have her rated below Xylena. i'm not saying that's the be all and end all, and i get that you really wanted her to stay in state and play for UCONN but that's not in the cards. Ashley Perez and Bria Holmes are two talented 2012'ers who will end up elsewhere...

Reaction Score

Eric, I agree. We don't know Geno's decision tree. A lot of variables are included in addition to player's talent. He didn't offer Ariel Massengale, a top five point guard prospect, who wanted to come to UConn. Apparently, after her visit he felt she wasn't a good fit. Don't know about Bria Holmes but if he really wanted he would have offerred

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Based on???? >>
what i've read and pictures of her on teams along side other kids who are supposeldly 6'2" where she looks substantially shorter than them.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
it's seems that the longer X waits, the more the chances are that she is indeed looking at other schools. Does Geno have a back-up plan? Is Bria going to not do anything until X goes somewhere, hoping it's not UConn? Anybody got any thoughts?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
it's seems that the longer X waits, the more the chances are that she is indeed looking at other schools. Does Geno have a back-up plan? Is Bria going to not do anything until X goes somewhere, hoping it's not UConn? Anybody got any thoughts?
Yes. the short answers are no and no.

Geno has no one else in 2011 he's looking at. if Xylena goes elsewhere, we will have a trio of top 5 players as the entire class - Jefferson, Stewart and Tuck. Bria no longer lists UCONN as a school she's looking at. last i checked, she was considering Rutgers, WVU and SJU (i think. i may have WVU incorrect)...

Reaction Score
Yes. the short answers are no and no.

Geno has no one else in 2011 he's looking at. if Xylena goes elsewhere, we will have a trio of top 5 players as the entire class - Jefferson, Stewart and Tuck. Bria no longer lists UCONN as a school she's looking at. last i checked, she was considering Rutgers, WVU and SJU (i think. i may have WVU incorrect)...

I agree, if UCONN does not get Xylena, I think Geno is finished with the 2012 class. As much as I hope UCONN gets the X girl I wouldn't feel to bad since the 2013 class is extremely strong. Another good post shouldn't be to hard to get.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree, if UCONN does not get Xylena, I think Geno is finished with the 2012 class. As much as I hope UCONN gets the X girl I wouldn't feel to bad since the 2013 class is extremely strong. Another good post shouldn't be to hard to get.
I believe that some of the horde have said exactly that.

Reaction Score
I have seen Bria Holmes play quite a bit with her AAU team the NH Blazers. She is a very good player. However, it is my opinion that she wouldn't see much playing time at UCONN. I believe the University of Hartford (or similar) would be a better fit. Where ever she ends up I hope she does well.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Finally, a thought from someone who has seen Holmes play. Now I will wait for the one that Geno confides in. I expect to wait a long time.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Rutgers will take her, if you guys don't want her. :p

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Rutgers will take her, if you guys don't want her. :p
RU has been on a recruiting roll the past few years, even including the kids who have transferred...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I have seen Bria Holmes play quite a bit with her AAU team the NH Blazers. She is a very good player. However, it is my opinion that she wouldn't see much playing time at UCONN. I believe the University of Hartford (or similar) would be a better fit. Where ever she ends up I hope she does well.

I've seen her play too and she's better than UHart.. her skills could allow her to be on any GOOD team. Is she capable of "carrying a team" maybe not but if she has a good PG by her side she can make things happen.

She's similiar to Swin Cash in my opinion.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
RU has been on a recruiting roll the past few years, even including the kids who have transferred...

Yeah, I just want Holmes, Prince, & Hollivay to sign with Rutgers. That would be an amazing class. With Holmes, I thought I heard that she really likes us, and has a high interest in us. Any insider news on her list?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yeah, I just want Holmes, Prince, & Hollivay to sign with Rutgers. That would be an amazing class. With Holmes, I thought I heard that she really likes us, and has a high interest in us. Any insider news on her list?
well if someone had insider news, they'd keep it to themselves as it would be, well, insider news! :) what do you think your chances are of landing Hollivay? a lot of tennessee fans think her and/or Howard are must gets for them. obviously i'd love to see both go elsewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom