Bria Hartley update! | The Boneyard

Bria Hartley update!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Hartley has been consistent throughout her career with the Washington Mystics and New York Liberty, but has yet to average double-figure scoring. With her career-best scoring rate coming in at 9.8 last year, 2020 could be her breakout year. She will be playing alongside a great distributor in Skylar Diggins-Smith in her first year with Phoenix.

1591734263356.png

WNBA: Top 10 under-the-radar players poised to have breakout seasons
Teaira McCowan and Kelsey Mitchell of the Indiana Fever both have star potential, making the Fever a team to keep your eye on entering the 2020 WNBA season. Kelsey Plum of the Las Vegas Aces, Azurá Stevens of the Chicago Sky and a third Fever player in Victoria Vivians are players to watch as well.
Read in Swish Appeal: WNBA: Top 10 under-the-radar players poised to have breakout seasons — Swish Appeal

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Good list of players there. Indiana is a potential power in the making with the likes of Cox, McCowan, Vivians and K. Mitchell all 22-25 years old. McCowan is going to dominate if she can stay out of foul trouble and play 30 minutes a night. Last year in games where she played 30+, she averaged 17.7 ppg and 12.1 rpg. Mitchell's percentages just need to go up. Vivians needs to be healthy but should fit in very well with McCowan again and being a perimeter threat. I kind of doubt Cox gets a ton of minutes this year (if we have a season) but we'll see.

Others like Stevens and Plum I think are in make or break type of situations this year. Both have the ability to produce at a higher level than they did a year ago, question is can they bring consistent play. Plum was pretty dreadful throughout the regular season but fantastic in the playoffs. Stevens regressed a year ago, not sure if she was injured or what the issue was. I think she'll fit in a lot better playing with Vandersloot and do well in pick and pop type of situations. Playing time competition will be tougher though with Lavender, Dolson and Hebard all in the mix.

Gabby Williams I don't think is a good fit in Chicago with Vandersloot being a ball dominant PG. Scorers flourish next to Vandersloot, but Williams isn't a scorer and lacks a jumpshot. I'm not sure how she fits in or potentially breaks out, especially with Quigley/Deshields ahead of her. The best thing that could happen for her is getting traded IMO.

Hartley has been a pretty pedestrian player in the pros so far. Considering how much she's getting paid, I'm guessing she makes the starting lineup, but I don't see her getting a lot of shots with 3 high volume shooters in Diggins/Taurasi/Griner all there. Same with Atkins in Washington with EDD/Charles in the lineup and Sykes with Parker/Nneka/Toliver/Gray.

Lexie Brown I think is in a great position to make a big impact. I also could see KLS being an impact player out in Dallas and Kalani Brown in Atlanta. Same with Durr/Nurse in NY since they don't have a strong post presence and should get a lot of shots.

Reaction Score
Stevens has really only played 1 year. She was injured for the majority of last year. If she played 5 games that was a lot. So I’m not sure saying this is a make or break year for her is accurate.

Reaction Score
Surely Gabby has developed more of a shot. Athletically she may have the best motor and jumping ability in the league.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Gabby Williams I don't think is a good fit in Chicago with Vandersloot being a ball dominant PG. Scorers flourish next to Vandersloot, but Williams isn't a scorer and lacks a jumpshot.

Gabby had a couple of games in Europe this season, where she looked like an incarnation of Maya Moore...mid range and 3-point shooting galore...Watch out for her...

And

Everyone seems to be forgetting our former Jr. High bonbon who has the talent to excel, if she can get her teeny-tiny frame to stay healthy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Plum will surprise me if she has a break out year. To me she lacks the motor to excel and is a mediocre ball distributor.

Reaction Score
Plum will surprise me if she has a break out year. To me she lacks the motor to excel and is a mediocre ball distributor.
I agree. She was picked over Moriah when they were the SA Stars. Then Moriah got hurt and Laimbeer made his biggest mistake by trading her! Head bang

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I agree. She was picked over Moriah when they were the SA Stars. Then Moriah got hurt and Laimbeer made his biggest mistake by trading her! Head bang

They got Cambage out of the deal, definitely not a mistake.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

She's a ball dominant guard and played off the ball most of last year and didnt do well in that role. She's in a better rhythm playing PG. If she is the starting PG has an arsenal of weapons to work with. Cambage has great hands and touch inside, Aja does best starting at the high post and bullying her way inside, McBride is a rhythm catch and shoot player and Angel can get her own shot. I dont think they need a ton from Plum besides feeding the posts and hitting open looks. If Plum can shoot 45% from the field and 40% from deep she should be the starting PG over Young and DRob IMO. If she is streaky again, let one of the others start.

Reaction Score
Who will Lambeer start, Young or Plum? If everyone is healthy, I would assume he starts Young/Plum, McBride, McCoughtry, Wilson, and Cambage.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Who will Lambeer start, Young or Plum? If everyone is healthy, I would assume he starts Young/Plum, McBride, McCoughtry, Wilson, and Cambage.

Likely that lineup, although DRob could start over both depending on how things pan out. She's definitely the most proven of the 3. I think Young is best as like a 2nd point guard on the court rather than being the primary PG. She thrived in this role at Notre Dame and wasn't very productive as a rookie last year playing PG. A year under her belt could do wonders though. Plum I mentioned above, just comes down to consistency with her. Sort of a toss up here between the 3.

If we have a season, I'll be surprised if Cambage shows up considering covid-19 and everything going on. Hamby would start in place of Liz if she doesn't come.

Reaction Score
They got Cambage out of the deal, definitely not a mistake.
I know everyone goes crazy over Liz, but to me she is just another ordinary 'big'! I mean she's 6'8"! Of course she can score in the post and rebound! Can she hit the 3? Can she steal? Defense-wise of course she can block, but who couldn't being that tall. She is way over rated IMO. I would take Griner anyday over her. Laimbeer still lost out on a "future" opportunity! Moriah scores from all over, is a great defender and who can catch her in the fast break?

Reaction Score
I know everyone goes crazy over Liz, but to me she is just another ordinary 'big'! I mean she's 6'8"! Of course she can score in the post and rebound! Can she hit the 3? Can she steal? Defense-wise of course she can block, but who couldn't being that tall. She is way over rated IMO. I would take Griner anyday over her. Laimbeer still lost out on a "future" opportunity! Moriah scores from all over, is a great defender and who can catch her in the fast break?

mom no Cambage fan but she can hit a 3. and griner not so much

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
... and Cambage is prone to go loco with the refs and hurt her team. No thanks.

In the other direction, unfortunately, I do not think BG has really lived up to her enormous potential. I think Coach Brondello does not push her enough. A coach like Geno (or Thibault) would be all over her demanding more. With her talent, she should be multiple MVP of the WNBA.

Reaction Score
... and Cambage is prone to go loco with the refs and hurt her team. No thanks.

In the other direction, unfortunately, I do not think BG has really lived up to her enormous potential. I think Coach Brondello does not push her enough. A coach like Geno (or Thibault) would be all over her demanding more. With her talent, she should be multiple MVP of the WNBA.
I agree on Cambage's attitude! Doesn't make the ideal 'playmate' for her team. At least BG is avg. on her 3 pt. shots, compared to Cambage. :)

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Do you just not value bigs then? 3pt shooting and getting steals is not a good measure of how good centers are. And Vegas last year from 14-19 the year prior to landing Liz to 21-13 with her. They have 2 younger (and healthy) future PGs in Young/Plum...they didn't need Jefferson and clearly made the right choice.

Liz is absolutely dominant on the block and has a very good faceup game. Players her size, mobility and coordination just do not exist outside of her and Griner. She's impossible to guard one on one. Rewatch the Vegas/Mystics series, she tore up Washington. Just two seasons ago she led the league in scoring with the 7th highest single season PPG average in the league's 23 year history. She also can step out and hit the 3, as we saw in Dallas, but she played more of a traditional center role last year in Vegas. Also an excellent rebounder. That's not an ordinary big.

Jefferson was out the entire 2019 season and hasn't played close to a full season since she was a rookie. That's 1 healthy year out of 4. Who knows if she'll ever be fully healthy or retain her prior athleticism after 3 years of knee injuries. Compare that to Liz Cambage who is arguably the best front court player in the world right now. No question Trader Bill made the right choice.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I agree on Cambage's attitude! Doesn't make the ideal 'playmate' for her team. At least BG is avg. on her 3 pt. shots, compared to Cambage. :)

BG has taken 7 three pointers in her entire career, hitting 2. It's not part of her game.

Reaction Score
Do you just not value bigs then? 3pt shooting and getting steals is not a good measure of how good centers are. And Vegas last year from 14-19 the year prior to landing Liz to 21-13 with her. They have 2 younger (and healthy) future PGs in Young/Plum...they didn't need Jefferson and clearly made the right choice.

Liz is absolutely dominant on the block and has a very good faceup game. Players her size, mobility and coordination just do not exist outside of her and Griner. She's impossible to guard one on one. Rewatch the Vegas/Mystics series, she tore up Washington. Just two seasons ago she led the league in scoring with the 7th highest single season PPG average in the league's 23 year history. She also can step out and hit the 3, as we saw in Dallas, but she played more of a traditional center role last year in Vegas. Also an excellent rebounder. That's not an ordinary big.

Jefferson was out the entire 2019 season and hasn't played close to a full season since she was a rookie. That's 1 healthy year out of 4. Who knows if she'll ever be fully healthy or retain her prior athleticism after 3 years of knee injuries. Compare that to Liz Cambage who is arguably the best front court player in the world right now. No question Trader Bill made the right choice.
What makes you say I don't value bigs? :confused: Of COURSE I do! It's nearly impossible to win championships w/o them. You made the initial comment about LC being traded (she didn't want to stay anyway). I just see the way she has played, her attitude and compared her to another. My original post was about MoJeff and how she wasn't mentioned. BTW........Plum is not even in Moriahs league. :)

Reaction Score
What makes you say I don't value bigs? :confused: Of COURSE I do! It's nearly impossible to win championships w/o them. You made the initial comment about LC being traded (she didn't want to stay anyway). I just see the way she has played, her attitude and compared her to another. My original post was about MoJeff and how she wasn't mentioned. BTW........Plum is not even in Moriahs league. :)
Moriah has hardly been in the league since her first season. So Moriah has hardly been in Plum's league. It doesnt matter how good you are if can't play.

Reaction Score
Moriah has hardly been in the league since her first season. So Moriah has hardly been in Plum's league. It doesnt matter how good you are if can't play.
You're quick to count Moriah out I see. I guess if there's a season at all this year, we'll get a much better picture of these 2! ;) Never count a Husky out.

Reaction Score
You're quick to count Moriah out I see. I guess if there's a season at all this year, we'll get a much better picture of these 2! ;) Never count a Husky out.
I have liked MoJeffs game since her junior year of college. I'm stating the facts that she hasn't been playing. I hope she has a great season. I'm not counting her out, but I'm not really optimistic. I just dont think your comment of Plum not being in her league is appropriate. If she was healthy, than it's extremely likely that she would be better than Plum. But that hasn't been the case.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom