Bria Hartley named to WNBA All Rookie Team | The Boneyard

Bria Hartley named to WNBA All Rookie Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm glad they went with Hartley over Schimmel, I think it's the right decision.

Reaction Score
Congratulations Bria! She should be very proud of her accomplishment.

Chiney Ogwumike, Odyssey Sims, and Kayla McBride were unanimous selections to the all-rookie team. Alyssa Thomas was the fifth selection.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
CT has a very nice group of young players that should produce nice results in the near future.

Glad to see Hartley on the team...well deserved.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I'm glad they went with Hartley over Schimmel, I think it's the right decision.

It is a big honor for Bria

As for Bria vs. Schimmel, Shoni put up better per-minute numbers and their actual numbers were very close.
Bria: 27.1 minutes, 9.7 points, 2.1 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 2.5 turnovers, 38 percent from the floor, 32.7 percent from three.
Shoni: 21.3 minutes, 8.3 points, 2.2 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 2.4 turnovers, 37.4 percent from the floor, 34.2 percent from three
In terms of shot attempts, 55.7 percent of Shoni's attempts were from three, while 33.1 percent of Bria's shot attempts were from three.

I think the key difference is that Bria was asked to play a much greater role for Washington. She was the starting shooting guard (though basically a combo guard, as she played both backcourt positions for the Mystics). She became a go-to player on Washington as a rookie.

Shoni was playign with a First Team All-WNBA player in Angel McCoughtry and an All-Star in DeSouza, plus a 2012 All-Rookie Team member in Tiffany Hayes and a former All Star and member of the 2012 All-Defensive Team in Sancho Lyttle. There was a lot more talent amongst the top players for the Dream, so Shoni did not have to carry the same burden taht Bria did.

HGN

Reaction Score
Congrats Bria................Keep it up and keep getting better.

No disrespect to Shoni in not being on the First Team....She had a good year. And probably will get better. But Bria had many more starts over the season which I think counted and carried weight with the WNBA coaches.

One can appreciate Shoni's game , she just didn't have the starts of the other rookies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
While both aren't great defensive players, Bria' defense is better then Shoni's. IMHO that's why Shoni didn't start, gave up more points then she scored.

Shoni is a fine player, no doubt about that. Unfortunately she has the same characteristic as Tennessee's Simmons had: She keeps both teams in the game.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Her star keeps going up and up! Congratulations, Bria!

Reaction Score
It is a big honor for Bria

As for Bria vs. Schimmel, Shoni put up better per-minute numbers and their actual numbers were very close.
Bria: 27.1 minutes, 9.7 points, 2.1 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 2.5 turnovers, 38 percent from the floor, 32.7 percent from three.
Shoni: 21.3 minutes, 8.3 points, 2.2 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 2.4 turnovers, 37.4 percent from the floor, 34.2 percent from three
In terms of shot attempts, 55.7 percent of Shoni's attempts were from three, while 33.1 percent of Bria's shot attempts were from three.

I think the key difference is that Bria was asked to play a much greater role for Washington. She was the starting shooting guard (though basically a combo guard, as she played both backcourt positions for the Mystics). She became a go-to player on Washington as a rookie.

Shoni was playign with a First Team All-WNBA player in Angel McCoughtry and an All-Star in DeSouza, plus a 2012 All-Rookie Team member in Tiffany Hayes and a former All Star and member of the 2012 All-Defensive Team in Sancho Lyttle. There was a lot more talent amongst the top players for the Dream, so Shoni did not have to carry the same burden taht Bria did.

Glad to see Bria got at least some recognition for her work this season. She stepped up and played very well for a rookie.

Shoni had the misfortune of having to play on a team that was already set on giving Dumerc the starting point guard job before they drafted Shoni. It may be the same next season and maybe that isn't all bad for her. She can continue to get better (especially on defense) now that she knows what to expect and work on. Atlanta should be even better next year with Dumerc getting more experience and the overall team chemistry improving.

Reaction Score
There were a ton of great rookies this season. Our own Stef had a quality season too, and might have been on the All Rookie team in a different season.

When it comes to Shoni versus Bria, I think that Bria's role versus Shoni's role did play a huge factor. From watching Washington, you could see that other coaches prepared for Bria in particular, when playing Washington. (Bill L. Screaming for teams to stop the ball when Bria had it in transition. We all know that's lethal.) Because Shoni's role wasn't as large, I doubt she made much of an impact that way. And seeing as this is a coaches vote, that was probably a huge reason.

Also, as someone else pointed out, Bria's defense is significantly better than Shoni's. Bria would make some (a lot) of mistakes at times, but you can still see her instincts are very good, and she's also very good at pressuring the ball. Shoni just isn't good in that area, at all. (And will need to improve if she ever wants to play a major role..which she's talented enough that she should.)

Overall, congrats to Bria! It's well deserved, and a great honor considering this particular class.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Video interview with Bria. She talks about her first season, making the all-rookie team and her plans for the winter.

LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom