Brew's Craft 4-Pack of Facts! | The Boneyard

Brew's Craft 4-Pack of Facts!

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of looking at data to reveal important facts, interesting trends, and the like. It's part of my real job.

So I figure, why not do the same periodically for my beloved Huskies?

Here's a 4-pack of facts for you to sip on leading into the weekend:

1.) Big reason we won last night was SMU's poor 3pt shooting. But it's not a blue moon thing for them...They've actually had 3 games so far this year where they shot 25% or less from beyond the arc - 9/36 vs. Northwestern State (a W), 4/25 vs. TCU (an L), and 3/23 last night (an L).

2.) We are 2-5 in games where we've been outrebounded; our wins were versus Drexel (-5) and SMU (-15). We are 8-1 in games where we've won the rebounding battle; our only loss was vs. UCF (+14).

3.) In the last 7 games, Alterique is shooting significantly better from 3pt (17/35, 49%) than 2pt (16/44, 36%)

4.) Tarin has shot 17/25 (68%) from the FT line in the last 9 games.

Cheers!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Note, you're muddying the water with too many products. Focus on your core business. Branding 101. @August_West

Similar to craft breweries, I have my "regular rotation" posts ("Brew's Clues") and my "special/limited-release" offerings ("Brew's Craft 4-pack of Facts"). The latter's goal is to generate FOMO. Time will tell whether this occurs or not.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of looking at data to reveal important facts, interesting trends, and the like. It's part of my real job.

1.) Big reason we won last night was SMU's poor 3pt shooting. But it's not a blue moon thing for them...They've actually had 3 games so far this year where they shot 25% or less from beyond the arc - 9/36 vs. Northwestern State (a W), 4/25 vs. TCU (an L), and 3/23 last night (an L).

2.) We are 2-5 in games where we've been outrebounded; our wins were versus Drexel (-5) and SMU (-15). We are 8-1 in games where we've won the rebounding battle; our only loss was vs. UCF (+14).

3.) In the last 7 games, Alterique is shooting significantly better from 3pt (17/35, 49%) than 2pt (16/44, 36%)

Cheers!!!

My review of your brews:

1.) Drain pour. I really don't care about SMU factoids.
2.) A nice session beer.
3.) A tasty ale, for sure.
4.) A flat Natty, dude.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I recommend using rebound rates (total or you can find separate offensive or defensive) instead of rebound margin. Much more accurate conclusions.

Personal crusade of mine.

Reaction Score
I recommend using rebound rates (total or you can find separate offensive or defensive) instead of rebound margin. Much more accurate conclusions.

Personal crusade of mine.

@auror Here's the comparisons using ORB%, DRB%, and TRB%. Using TRB%, the only one it shifted from the raw team rebounds comparison was the Drexel game (our margin was +1.8% in TRB%). So using TRB%, we are 9-1 in games where we won TRB% (only loss=USF), and 1-5 where we lost TRB% (only win=SMU).

These data are from Connecticut Huskies Index | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Maybe you could explain how we could have higher ORB and DRB% but lose TRB (vs. FSU) and have lower ORB & DRB% but win TRB (vs. Drexel)?

UConn-RebAnalytics.jpg

Reaction Score
@auror Here's the comparisons using ORB%, DRB%, and TRB%. Using TRB%, the only one it shifted from the raw team rebounds comparison was the Drexel game (our margin was +1.8% in TRB%). So using TRB%, we are 9-1 in games where we won TRB% (only loss=USF), and 1-5 where we lost TRB% (only win=SMU).

These data are from Connecticut Huskies Index | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Maybe you could explain how we could have higher ORB and DRB% but lose TRB (vs. FSU) and have lower ORB & DRB% but win TRB (vs. Drexel)?

View attachment 38180

About the total quantity of the two (the slice of the pie as it were). We had higher %'s overall, but more shots were taken on one hoop, which was their defensive hoop (so they got 65% of more, we got 67.9% of less). Due to FTs or turnovers, or what have you. It's illustrative of the problem with margin, as defensive rebounds are easier to come by, but margin assumes there is an equal amount of shots on each hoop.

So I'd consider us to have rebounded better than them, since our specific %'s were better, even though we got less rebounds overall.

Reaction Score

Cheers!!!

Thought this was going to be about beer.

Reaction Score
About the total quantity of the two (the slice of the pie as it were). We had higher %'s overall, but more shots were taken on one hoop, which was their defensive hoop (so they got 65% of more, we got 67.9% of less). Due to FTs or turnovers, or what have you. It's illustrative of the problem with margin, as defensive rebounds are easier to come by, but margin assumes there is an equal amount of shots on each hoop.

So I'd consider us to have rebounded better than them, since our specific %'s were better, even though we got less rebounds overall.

Thanks...makes sense!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom