BreStew,Mo and Morgan.... | The Boneyard

BreStew,Mo and Morgan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's hope after watching last nights game they come to uconn with a huge chip on there shoulders and work there tails off this summer and help get this uconn team back on track and finally put to rest all this notre dame crap. Notre dame isn't even in the same breath as what uconn has done program wise...muffett and company enjoy your ride cause uconn will own u for years to come ....I'm sorry but notre dames players just really bug me and the whole diggins Twitter thing just gets me .....ESPN is really pushing for a storey line and its really funny when u think about it has nothing to do with basketball but to promote miss basketball what a joke.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Relax, they're a good team.

I doubt the Freshmen are going to come in with a chip on their shoulder about ND. Why would they, they've never played them. Hopefully they won't even have a chance to get a chip about ND. Just another team to beat.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Well, they were good enough to beat UCONN three times...as for ESPN, I am sure they feel that UCONN losing is good for Women's Basketball. I know many who agree.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well, they were good enough to beat UCONN three times...as for ESPN, I am sure they feel that UCONN losing is good for Women's Basketball. I know many who agree.
A few more people might buy tickets to UConn games next year and actually cheer on the Huskies when the games are tight.

Reaction Score
All I'm saying is uconn handles defeat with more class then others I'm relaxed just intitled to my opinion that's why I like the boneyard great opinions and feedback and the freedom to express your mind in a non mallace way.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
All I'm saying is uconn handles defeat with more class then others I'm relaxed just intitled to my opinion that's why I like the boneyard great opinions and feedback and the freedom to express your mind in a non mallace way.
Just don't want you to have a stroke or something.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
A few more people might buy tickets to UConn games next year and actually cheer on the Huskies when the games are tight.

Not sure there will be many (or any) of those next year.

1. They lose only Hayes, who was a great player, but not a superstar.
2. Dolson showed in the tourney that the jump from freshman to soph year for most players doesn't happen until late for some. And maybe for her, the jump is from soph to junior year.
3. Lewis will show that jump as a soph.
4. 3 incredible recruits will give them the depth and size they were missing at times this year.

I'm sad for this year to end. But I'm so excited for next season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

1. They lose only Hayes, who was a great player, but not a superstar.
2. Dolson showed in the tourney that the jump from freshman to soph year for most players doesn't happen until late for some. And maybe for her, the jump is from soph to junior year.
3. Lewis will show that jump as a soph.
4. 3 incredible recruits will give them the depth and size they were missing at times this year.

I'm sad for this year to end. But I'm so excited for next season.

To borrow a line: Don't stroke out! But it is going to be a real kick and an interesting Fall for sure.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Incredible freshmen recruits.

The freshmen will have good games, great games and games to forget. They will most likely be inconsistent and, like 95% of most rookies, undependable in tight spots. Even our wonderful KML - a player who will be a superstar and who I would not trade for any other freshman in the country - disappeared at times this season.

I agree that the team will be better, more experienced and deeper, next season people need to stay in reality when setting expectations for the team's youngest players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

The freshmen will have good games, great games and games to forget. They will most likely be inconsistent and, like 95% of most rookies, undependable in tight spots. Even our wonderful KML - a player who will be a superstar and who I would not trade for any other freshman in the country - disappeared at times this season.

I agree that the team will be better, more experienced and deeper, next season people need to stay in reality when setting expectations for the team's youngest players.
If Kaleena steps into Tiff's slot and Caroline's leg is Ok, we start 2 seniors, 2 juniors, and a soph. Kiah could be one of the first off the bench. The frosh will get their PT without too much pressure. Hopefully, Brianna continues to improve.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

True, even Breanna will have good games, great games and games to forget. But the things we can use the most from her are probably the things she can bring right away with highest probability: interior defense, rebounding, and put-backs. The stuff where her athleticism and natural talent are most called upon and her experience within the UCONN system or with D1 WCBB less so.

I have a better feeling about this happening than I do a freshman PG contributing on the offensive end and helping our turnover ratio, for example. Morgan is kind of a wild card because she has greatly impressed lately, but we can afford to take a wait-and-see approach.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Before it is over, I wouldn't be surprised if Morgan Tuck isn't among the top 5 in her class.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Recruiting is going to hell. It wasn't that long ago that we had a new recruit who was NEVER going to have a bad game. :)

Reaction Score
A couple of end of the year observations.

1) Kiah will see much more PT next season.

2) Morgan's arrival will allow KML to move from the 4 spot and play her natural position at the 3 spot.

3) Breanna will come off the bench. (At least early in the season or until she builds up her body to BE conditioning.)

4) Bria will play at the 2 spot.

5) Moriah, by the end of December or the start of the BE season, will be starting at the 1 spot.

Last, and with respect, it has to be pointed out that had Caroline been productive we might have won in regulation.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
The type of game Morgan plays lends itself to the most consistency of any of the three incoming frosh. It's simply a higher-percentage type of game. Grabbing boards, posting up, getting layups and putbacks. Just from the videos and the few games that have been on line it's clear she already has a small arsenal of post moves nicely polished.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
The type of game Morgan plays lends itself to the most consistency of any of the three incoming frosh. It's simply a higher-percentage type of game. Grabbing boards, posting up, getting layups and putbacks. Just from the videos and the few games that have been on line it's clear she already has a small arsenal of post moves nicely polished.

You seem to have left out that Morgan can also knock down the three. I wouldn't characterize her arsenal as small as such a characterization marginalizes what Tuck could potentially mean to the program. She has stated that she has no intention of just being a role player that her intention is to be an impact player....and from all those who have seen her play...many tend to agree that Morgan is much better than advertised.

LINK
Morgan won the 3 point shooting contest at the McDonald's All American game. In this link it says that KML who played with and against her was not surprised at all that Morgan will be a deadly threat both inside and outside. Tuck herself says that she is "not a pure shooter but she can shoot the three".

The article goes on to say that Tuck can do a little of everything...she brings toughness and versatility. As I have said earlier she is going to be better than advertised.

Reaction Score
Oh, she certainly "can" shoot the 3, but she knows where her bread and butter is. If you watched the McDonald's game you'll have seen that even in an all-star game where the premium is on hanging out on the perimeter and jacking up jumpers, she was constantly making a beeline down into the hole and showing off her ability to make post moves going either way with either hand. Geno has half a dozen quality 3-point shooters on next year's team, there's simply more need for the value added she brings down low. And the term "small arsenal" was hardly meant to "marginalize", if one wants to make an argument about word choices I suppose it's possible to even make it look like tonyc is dissing a player. I think my meaning as an unmixed positive was clear enough.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
5) Moriah, by the end of December or the start of the BE season, will be starting at the 1 spot.

Last, and with respect, it has to be pointed out that had Caroline been productive we might have won in regulation.
Sigh.

1. Geno is not going to bench a 5th year senior for a freshman unless she's physically unable to play.
2. Tiffany had 6 TOs last night, Bria had 5 and Kelly had 3. Caroline had 0. She played good defense and allowed Bria to play off the ball.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Oh, she certainly "can" shoot the 3, but she knows where her bread and butter is. If you watched the McDonald's game you'll have seen that even in an all-star game where the premium is on hanging out on the perimeter and jacking up jumpers, she was constantly making a beeline down into the hole and showing off her ability to make post moves going either way with either hand. Geno has half a dozen quality 3-point shooters on next year's team, there's simply more need for the value added she brings down low. And the term "small arsenal" was hardly meant to "marginalize", if one wants to make an argument about word choices I suppose it's possible to even make it look like tonyc is dissing a player. I think my meaning as an unmixed positive was clear enough.

...and this was with Stewart defending her for much of the time.......!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You seem to have left out that Morgan can also knock down the three. I wouldn't characterize her arsenal as small as such a characterization marginalizes what Tuck could potentially mean to the program. She has stated that she has no intention of just being a role player that her intention is to be an impact player....and from all those who have seen her play...many tend to agree that Morgan is much better than advertised.
Folks should find some video of Heather playing high school ball. You wouldn't recognize her - she was aggressive, demanding the ball and directing player and was simply unstoppable in the paint. The only thing that's kept her from doing the same at UConn is the space between her ears. These things are impossible to predict. Freshmen also have a tendency to defer to upperclassmen, something we UConn fans have seen time and again, and that's with Geno stomping his feet on the sidelines screaming at them to take the damn shot.

I'm not saying that will happen to Morgan, or Moriah or Breanna. It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility, though, so people might keep that in the back of their minds when they set their expectations for kids that haven't played a second of college ball.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

the thing is, tho, is it's hard not to have sky-high expectations. KML by all accounts is not quite as skilled as Bree, and yet KML had a fantastic freshman year. sure she had some off games offensively, but as CD said, it was a pleasant surprise to see her be just so good at so many other things besides scoring.

after seeing Moriah for the first time in the McD AA game, i'm ready to call her the quickest guard i've ever seen, and possibly the quickest ever. and her no look bullet passes were something i've only ever seen from Diana.

Morgan doesn't blow you away by doing anything "flashy", but she's proven at every level that she's just a great all around player. she guarded Bree really well in the McD game and scored 18 points to boot. she was the only post player who really made an impact on the offensive end.

of course they will have off games. they will get yelled at by the coaches. but i can't help but be really psyched at what we gain next year. i fully realize Baylor will be #1 to start the season, but i'd not bet against UCONN next year.

on edit, i totally get your point about Heather. but she never played USA BB, nor was she ever even invited to try out. i'm not sure what AAU teams she played on, but when you consider that our thrilling three have played with and against the best high school players, it's hard to imagine they won't be more like KML or even Kiah as far as freshmen "performances" go. but i get your point - go easy on the expectations!

and lastly i would bet the entire farm that the starting lineup in November as well as in March will be Caroline, Bria, Kelly, KML and Stef. what a fantastic starting 5. but several of the reserves will easily average over 20 minutes per game. a perfect way to acclimate the freshmen..

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Are you saying my post wasn't in reality?

"3 incredible recruits will give them the depth and size they were missing at times this year."

Tell ESPN Hoopgurlz that they are not in reality then.

UConn only lost to Baylor, ND and one game to SJU. Next years team will be better. And if you have faith that the freshman will make at least the impact of Lewis this year, much better.

I see no reason to temper my thoughts on how good this team will be next year. The two starting sophs will no doubt be better. Doty will have more time to heal. Faris found some offense. Lewis will be better.

And only Baylor and maybe Duke will come close.

Expectations should be high.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Folks should find some video of Heather playing high school ball. You wouldn't recognize her - she was aggressive, demanding the ball and directing player and was simply unstoppable in the paint. The only thing that's kept her from doing the same at UConn is the space between her ears. These things are impossible to predict. Freshmen also have a tendency to defer to upperclassmen, something we UConn fans have seen time and again, and that's with Geno stomping his feet on the sidelines screaming at them to take the damn shot.

I'm not saying that will happen to Morgan, or Moriah or Breanna. It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility, though, so people might keep that in the back of their minds when they set their expectations for kids that haven't played a second of college ball.

Not ONE of those players is Buck. Heather is a nice kid, but she was playing against terrible competition. Not a good comparison.

Geno called Stewart the most competative kid he's recruited. Tuck has shown that in the best competition (USA teams) she can compete with the best. Jefferson might struggle early, but her spead and skill level will carry her through.

Sorry, Nan, but you will not convince me to have high expectations for the incoming class and the team next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Looking ahead - a few things I hope for/expect:
1. CD with a full off season will rediscover her offense - I think she played some great games down the stretch, but she completely forgot about shooting the ball. She is too good a shooter to completely stop taking shots.
2. BB - I expect a good jump in her game - this was definitely a freshman year for her. She has talent on both ends and now knows what the game at Uconn is about.
3. I will be suprised if MoJ starts at all next year - I expect her to get a lot of minutes, but if she does start then BB and CD are not progressing.
4. Starting line-up is going to be really interesting next year - I think it is hard not to start Kelly - she is probably the best passer into the post on the team and certainly the best defender. But we have CD, BH, KML, and KF as likely perimeter starters and SD and KS inside - so who sits for the opening tap?
5. The bench will be very interesting - odd man out from above, plus BB, MoJ, BS, and MT - that is one serious second five!!! Every one of them could be starting for almost any other D1 team.

Writing this it finally hit me what next year is really looking like - WOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom