Brendan Adams pros/cons | The Boneyard

Brendan Adams pros/cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Okay. Let's have the Adams discussion.

People were upset at his play tonight. And I think it's certainly justifiable. He missed a couple bunnies. He didn't hit any of his 3's. He fouled a 3 point shooter and had a few comical arms-waving contests.

But here's what I (and I think Hurley) will come back to. He plays hard. He cares. He tries to make plays. He plays great perimeter defense (almost always).

There was a play mid first half where Hartford had a fast-break. Adams stopped ball around the free throw line, read the pass to the wing and flew out and contested the shot. No one else on the team makes that defensive play.

In the 2nd half, Adams got a pass from Bouk on the left wing, sized up his defender and went by him and missed the contested runner. People were screaming to take him out, but I'm screaming "Nice take." We need guys that are dynamic. We needs guys that take their guy off the dribble when they have a mismatch or advantage. Even more, we need guys that GENERATE the advantage. The last few years we've had guys that don't actually do anything. They don't make the flashy bad plays so everyone thinks they're underrated or steady, when it's actually the opposite. They don't contribute to a high major D1 team winning. If you're not making a play, you're not contributing. The opportunity cost is someone else who is dynamic making a play.

I don't think Adams' offensive skills match up to his mindset yet. But I really like his mindset. I wish everyone on our team had his mindset and effort level. I think Jackson and Adams are similar in that way. Jackson has more physical talent and is better at playmaking for others, but his shot is even worse than Adams' and is still figuring out the team defensive concept. The team needs one of the two of them to take another step forward to play consistently alongside Bouk and Martin on the wing for us to be able to compete at the top of the Big East.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Brendan forces his shots and if they fall he looks like an all star. If they don’t, Hurley pulls him and yells at him. I don’t mind his playing style but he needs to keep his teammates involved. Him not passing the ball to Sanogo in the first game, annoyed me.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He’s the heart and soul of the team but is tough to watch at times. Decent catch and shoot from 3 but bad things happen when puts the ball on the floor. He reminds me of freshman CV but he’s a junior now and he needs to cut out the mistakes.

Reaction Score
They played Hartford and Central and Thanksgiving was yesterday. I just think it's way too early for these kind of threads, even in this duck___ up season.

These kinds of threads? An even-handed look at the merits of a player? This thread is a reaction to the hot takes, not a hot take itself.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Two games in and Adams is clearly the unifying the BY as this year's whipping boy.

With JC looking at a ton of DNP's, Adams is way in the lead.

I believe he brings vue with defense and toughness. I do not believe in him having any idea how to consist make his game work on offense

Reaction Score
Adams is a good defender/hustle player who can make open shots. He tries to do way too much.

Would you rather have a guy that tries to do too much and fails occasionally or a guy who never does anything?

Reaction Score
This is simple he’s either good, making shots and plays like he did against CCSU or he’s bad like he was tonight. Deserved minutes in game one and didn’t deserve 24 minutes or close tonight. I mean he gets 24 and Sanogo gets 11 that’s an issue. The trickle down from too many minutes from the threesome of Gaffney-Cole-Adams needs to be better balanced.

Reaction Score
Pros: He is not afraid and sometimes we need his aggressive offensive nature when everyone else other than Bouk can be passive.

Cons: Sometimes he needs to be more afraid because his aggressive nature sometimes exceeds his talent and there might be better options at critical times in the game.

Reaction Score
Adams is the best perimeter defender on the team. End of story. Maybe with Akok back in the mix Cole and Bouknight can just let their guy blow by them, but as of now they are just not keeping people in front, and Adams does. That will earn him minutes, and he just needs to play within himself on the offensive side and not try to create for himself.

Every player on this team has been forcing things on the offensive end. There are too many good players on this team, there is a bit of a panic setting in about who will see the floor. This is made worse because we are in an awkward transition period from pre-Hurley recruits, to post-Hurley recruits, with some middle ground players he grabbed his first two years that he wouldn't now. A lot of these guys are going out there trying to do more than they should. That includes Bouknight, Cole... basically everyone but Whaley and Sanogo.

It will sort itself out gradually, and the team will find an identity and be significantly better once a 7-8 person rotation is settled.

Reaction Score
Pros: He is not afraid and sometimes we need his aggressive offensive nature when everyone else other than Bouk can be passive.

Cons: Sometimes he needs to be more afraid because his aggressive nature sometimes exceeds his talent and there might be better options at critical times in the game.
This is the take right here...very fair assessment

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I’m gonna be honest, and I might get torched for this here, but I don’t enjoy watching Adams play. Whenever he’s in the game flow gets all weird and seems much more forced. He takes bad shots a decent amount and doesn’t make up for it on the defensive end or in his shooting percentages. Whenever he comes in I’m just waiting for him to be taken out.

Reaction Score
I was very critical of Adams during his freshman year. I had questions about his foot speed and his ability on the defensive end. Last year, he won me over with his hustle. I think his imprint on the team comes down to a one thing, and it can be said of most players. He needs to play under control. If he does that, he can be a big piece going forward. If he cleans it up a little, I'm glad to have him out there. He makes plays, but just every once in a while has that 'What were you thinking?' moment. Just get rid of those moments and there are few programs that wouldn't want a player like him on their team.

Reaction Score
I’m gonna be honest, and I might get torched for this here, but I don’t enjoy watching Adams play. Whenever he’s in the game flow gets all weird and seems much more forced. He takes bad shots a decent amount and doesn’t make up for it on the defensive end or in his shooting percentages. Whenever he comes in I’m just waiting for him to be taken out.
While I hold to my previous statement, I don't really disagree. He's always had a bit of an Omar Calhoun vibe to me. A role player who refuses to accept his role, can't get out of his own head, and disrupts the team as a result. To be fair, I think it's on the coaches to help players like this find their role over time.

Reaction Score
Bouk, Cole and Gaff were playing matador defense on the perimeter. If BA can defend semi well out there he deserves his minutes.
Hurley will play him to make a point if nothing else.

Reaction Score
Him and Polley seem like guys that come off the bench and either have it or don't. Adams seems slightly more important because we have less depth in the backcourt and his physicality on defense plays up sometimes against certain kinds of teams. Polley needs to hunt his shots and make them. If not he struggles in other areas that contribute.

Reaction Score
Brendan forces his shots and if they fall he looks like an all star. If they don’t, Hurley pulls him and yells at him. I don’t mind his playing style but he needs to keep his teammates involved. Him not passing the ball to Sanogo in the first game, annoyed me.
Yes. That annoyed me too. My boy and I were talking about that today. Give it to the big man Badams.

Reaction Score
Okay. Let's have the Adams discussion.

People were upset at his play tonight. And I think it's certainly justifiable. He missed a couple bunnies. He didn't hit any of his 3's. He fouled a 3 point shooter and had a few comical arms-waving contests.

But here's what I (and I think Hurley) will come back to. He plays hard. He cares. He tries to make plays. He plays great perimeter defense (almost always).

There was a play mid first half where Hartford had a fast-break. Adams stopped ball around the free throw line, read the pass to the wing and flew out and contested the shot. No one else on the team makes that defensive play.

In the 2nd half, Adams got a pass from Bouk on the left wing, sized up his defender and went by him and missed the contested runner. People were screaming to take him out, but I'm screaming "Nice take." We need guys that are dynamic. We needs guys that take their guy off the dribble when they have a mismatch or advantage. Even more, we need guys that GENERATE the advantage. The last few years we've had guys that don't actually do anything. They don't make the flashy bad plays so everyone thinks they're underrated or steady, when it's actually the opposite. They don't contribute to a high major D1 team winning. If you're not making a play, you're not contributing. The opportunity cost is someone else who is dynamic making a play.

I don't think Adams' offensive skills match up to his mindset yet. But I really like his mindset. I wish everyone on our team had his mindset and effort level. I think Jackson and Adams are similar in that way. Jackson has more physical talent and is better at playmaking for others, but his shot is even worse than Adams' and is still figuring out the team defensive concept. The team needs one of the two of them to take another step forward to play consistently alongside Bouk and Martin on the wing for us to be able to compete at the top of the Big East.
Playing hard and caring does not mean you can make mistakes without consequence. I don’t think this team is going to have that problem. These aren’t the Ollie years where if you played hard mistakes are forgiven because things are so bad.

He tries to take over the game as if he’s bouknight out there. The few times he puts his head down and goes to the hoop should not happen, nor the step back 3 after pounding the ball for 8 seconds.

play to your strengths and do what the team needs to be successful.

Reaction Score
Adams is this team's Marcus Smart. He's aggressive and plays hard but also thinks he's better than he is. His hustle will win us some games but we'll also lose some games because he tried to do more than he's capable of.

Reaction Score
Put me in the column of non believer. For those who claim he is a good defensive player, do you mean #10 for the good guys? He has mental lapses on d. And on offense, he needs to let the game come to him and not force things so much.

Reaction Score
Adams just needs to play with the same mindset, but he should be focused on creating for others more on offense early on instead of looking for his own shot. his scoring will come more naturally if he plays unselfish

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104