Brenda as the head sorceress | The Boneyard

Brenda as the head sorceress

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In the Washington Post article, Coach Freese again cites "Maryland Magic," as the Terps came back from an 18-point deficit in the first half and 10-point deficit in the second half against TAMU.

Maryland is an interesting team. They are talented, though fairly young. The key players yesterday were Lauren Mincy and Alyssa Thomas, both of whom are sophomores. Their front line includes 4 studs. Their defense may be better than a few years ago, but still not great. They are still an offensively oriented team.

If they fall behind Notre Dame by 10 early, don't think the game is over. The Terps' M.O. is to come from behind. They are a confident bunch that can score in the clutch. However, they have not played an opponent as good as ND this year. So, coming from behind will be tougher for them than it has been in prior games.

As always, the foul situation will be key, especially since ND is involved. One key will be the front line. If Peters has to sit, Maryland should be able to exploit ND inside. They may be able to do so regardless. If Thomas has to sit, Maryland may struggle on both ends. If ND's "flip and flop" offense gets them to the FT line for 30 shots, they will win. If the refs call it reasonably--which doesn't happen with ND very often--the Terps have a chance. ND is smart, rugged, and experienced. Maryland is bigger and more athletic. ND has the better coaching.

Though Skylar will win AA recognition this year, Alyssa Thomas may be the best player in the game. She will be one of the top few players that ND has seen this season.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well, Frese does look demonic at times.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
All that's missing is a wand:

1511_crop_340x234.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
great post Mil. i am conflicted over the game. i don't like Maryland at all and don't dislike ND as much as some on our board. and of course rooting for big east, but assuming UCONN gets past Kentucky i'm not sure who i hope we would play.

and i agree 100% on Thomas. she's the best sophomore in the country - i'd certainly put Simms and Hartley and Ogwumike (and probably Gray from Duke) up there as well, but i think Thomas is the best by a small margin.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I don't see 4 studs on MD's front line, I see one and her name is Hawkins. I see Thomas as a very good wing player, and Kizer is a big kid with a good jump shot who can rebound but not defend very well.

Mincy has been great recently, but can she do it again vs. ND's defenders like Mallory?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
great post Mil. i am conflicted over the game. i don't like Maryland at all and don't dislike ND as much as some on our board. and of course rooting for big east, but assuming UCONN gets past Kentucky i'm not sure who i hope we would play.

and i agree 100% on Thomas. she's the best sophomore in the country - i'd certainly put Simms and Hartley and Ogwumike (and probably Gray from Duke) up there as well, but i think Thomas is the best by a small margin.

But, eric, aren't you thoroughly fatigued about still another ND-UConn match.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Biff probably still has that shot of her with me in the background. She was on a rant at the time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't see 4 studs on MD's front line, I see one and her name is Hawkins. I see Thomas as a very good wing player, and Kizer is a big kid with a good jump shot who can rebound but not defend very well.

Mincy has been great recently, but can she do it again vs. ND's defenders like Mallory?
DeVaughn is big and fairly athletic, though not much of a scoring threat. She has 44 blocks on the season and is 6'4".

Hawkins is a rebounder and shot blocker, as well as something of a scorer. She's 6'3".

Thomas has near-Maya-like athleticism and is 6'2". She's very, very good.

Kizer is 6'4' at least and is a scorer, both inside and out.

They don't play these 4 together, but usually have 3 of them on the court. That's a big, strong, athletic group. I believe that the Terps lead the nation (or are close) in rebounding margin at 13.8 per game. ND is at 9.2. (For comparison: Baylor, 11.5: UConn, 10.5; and Stanford, 10.2.)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
She stands up and walks around way too much in my opinion. I was right behind the Maryland bench when they came to Cameron in Jan. Blocked my view numerous times....... the lady in front of me was complaining...... I should have known better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom