Breanna Stewart reacts to ruptured Achilles | The Boneyard

Breanna Stewart reacts to ruptured Achilles

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
WNBA MVP Breanna Stewart reacts to ruptured Achilles, confirms she’s out for the season
I’m thankful that I have so many people in my corner to help me every step of the way. I’m feeling every emotion possible at this point but just know that the bounce back will be real and I’ll be back and better than ever.”
The WNBA star flew back to Seattle for tests, where she was told she needs surgery and will miss the 2019 season. Stewart’s surgery hasn’t been scheduled yet

Reaction Score
I feel so bad for Stewie. A ruptured Achilles is the worse injury a basketball player can suffer. My high school teammate suffered one in college and never played again. It will be a long recovery but if anyone can come back it will be Stewie.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sad news, I hope for the best for her during her recovery.

I guess the silver lining is Seattle might struggle somewhat this year and end up with a better draft pick than they otherwise would've had and be able to stockpile more young talent. Seems like getting Magbegor at the end of the first round this year was a steal. Outside of Bird most of their nucleus is fairly young, they could be good for quite a while.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Sad news, I hope for the best for her during her recovery.

I guess the silver lining is Seattle might struggle somewhat this year and end up with a better draft pick than they otherwise would've had and be able to stockpile more young talent. Seems like getting Magbegor at the end of the first round this year was a steal. Outside of Bird most of their nucleus is fairly young, they could be good for quite a while.

If they struggle there's a good shot they land Cox or Ionescu, both of whom could fit in quite well in Seattle. Ionescu would be a terrific PG of the future (and relatively local) to take over for Bird, or play alongside Canada/Loyd, and a 3-5 lineup of Stewart, Howard, and Cox would be deadly.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Best wishes to Stewie! We know she will work hard on rehab. We also know that she will use her downtime productively. HuskyNation is with you, as always!

Reaction Score
Losing Stewart will probably kill their play-off hopes, but will not bring them down far enough to be one of the top two picks in the draft. They are too solid a team, even without Stewie, to drop that far. Seattle would have to make an effort to tank to be one of the top two picks. There are far too many teams still below them. Dallas, unless they finally trade Combage to LA will really take a dive. If they don't work out a trade with LA and get something in return they will lose both Cambage ( who will sit out ) and Diggins who is with child with nothing to replace either of them this season. They are looking at a dismal season.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If they struggle there's a good shot they land Cox or Ionescu, both of whom could fit in quite well in Seattle. Ionescu would be a terrific PG of the future (and relatively local) to take over for Bird, or play alongside Canada/Loyd, and a 3-5 lineup of Stewart, Howard, and Cox would be deadly.

There is no way with their roster that they should struggle that badly unless they go full Mercury and resort to outright tanking.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
There is no way with their roster that they should struggle that badly unless they go full Mercury and resort to outright tanking.

Fair point. They should be a playoff team still but we'll see what happens. New York, Indiana, Minnesota, Chicago and Dallas all look worse on paper. They were awful in 2015 with a similar lineup but without Howard. Obviously Loyd is a lot better, but Stewart is going to be missed big time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Will Stewie's injury case Ezi to reconsider and come to the W in 2019 instead of 2020?

Reaction Score
Losing Stewart will probably kill their play-off hopes, but will not bring them down far enough to be one of the top two picks in the draft. They are too solid a team, even without Stewie, to drop that far. Seattle would have to make an effort to tank to be one of the top two picks. There are far too many teams still below them. Dallas, unless they finally trade Combage to LA will really take a dive. If they don't work out a trade with LA and get something in return they will lose both Cambage ( who will sit out ) and Diggins who is with child with nothing to replace either of them this season. They are looking at a dismal season.
It's the same thing. Only 4 teams don't make the playoffs, and those same 4 teams are in the draft lottery. The lottery odds are created using each team's past two years' records, and Seattle will have a really good previous year's record (this past season). So they probably wouldn't have the best odds in the lottery, but could still end up with one of the top two picks.

In any case I think they'll still make the playoffs, even without Stewie. You have to be really bad not to make the WNBA playoffs.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Will Stewie's injury case Ezi to reconsider and come to the W in 2019 instead of 2020?

Interesting but I think she probably feels she needs a bit more seasoning and needs to be full time with the Opals to help with the 2019 FIBA Asia Cup and the start of the FIBA qualifiers for the 2020 Olympics

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just found a great article by Michele Voeple about how Tamika Catchings dealt with her injuries and her advice for Stewie. Sprinkled in are many prayers and well wishers from some of the NBA elite.

What's next for Breanna Stewart? Tamika Catchings knows

Catchings' Achilles injury happened about six weeks after she'd turned 28 years old. She said she felt back to fully normal by 2009, the year the Fever went to the WNBA Finals for the first time. And the best part of her pro career was still ahead. She went on to win the WNBA's MVP award (2011), play in three WNBA Finals (winning one, 2012), and win three of her four Olympic gold medals and one of her two world championship golds after the Achilles injury.

That should be an inspiration for Stewart, who is 24. She won't be 25 until August.

"For her, with the amazing past year she's had, she's going from an extreme high to an extreme low," Catchings said. "It's about understanding and accepting what's happened, and putting on your game face, shifting gears to like, 'This is my road back.'

"She can make it back for next season and the Olympics. It's not going to be easy; there will be a lot of ups and downs. But you push through it like you do anything else. And I believe she'll be fine."

Reaction Score
When you think about it a breather should help Stewie. She has been playing almost year round since the 8th grade. Between school teams, AAU, USA her schedule has been non-stop for 11 years.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
When you think about it a breather should help Stewie. She has been playing almost year round since the 8th grade. Between school teams, AAU, USA her schedule has been non-stop for 11 years.
IIRC she did have a bit of an injury hiatus when she injured her MCL(?) in her first overseas stint in China.

Plebe

Reaction Score
To me it's been interesting to see the outpouring of support for Stewie on social media, including from greats in the men's game like John Wall, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant.

It's also been just as interesting to see which players on the women's side have had zilch to say about it. Revealing, and sad.

Reaction Score
Get well soon Stewie! Does anyone know if the players return to normal after this type of injury?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Interesting response from Jalen Rose:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
To me it's been interesting to see the outpouring of support for Stewie on social media, including from greats in the men's game like John Wall, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant.

It's also been just as interesting to see which players on the women's side have had zilch to say about it. Revealing, and sad.

I had forgotten about Wall's injury. I remember when it happened..... most figured he wouldnt be back on the court until the 2020 season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I have always thought their is quite a bit of underlying jealousy on the womens side about Stewie. You know, The kid that got everything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom