Breanna Stewart: in case you missed it | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Breanna Stewart: in case you missed it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think so, from what I have heard she also has a very hi basketball IQ and an incredible work ethic and drive.

There is the top tier of players - Bird, Cash, Charles, Rizzoti, Lobo, Walters, Sales, Abrosimova, Ralph, Montgomery, Bascom. Then there is that next level of players - Taurasi, Moore.

KML has a shot at the top tier, maybe Hartley and Dolson too. But Stewart has a shot at that next level.

I agree except I think KML is next level. The only reason she may not equal or better UConn scoring stats is because she is going to be surrounded by some great talent (Brea, Mo, Tuck, etc.) and may not get the ball enough. She looks like a complete player right now as a freshman. I know why she's not starting and it's great having her come off the bench but... she's a starter.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
I will have to watch the replay, but I recall one scrum play KML made last night that was unbelievable and also a drive to the hoop that would have rivaled anything DT or Maya ever did IF she didn't miss the lay up.

JS

Reaction Score
The 2014 team will have the prototypical starting five. All five will be playing their best positions

PG....MJ
SG....BH
W.....KML
PF....BS
C......SD.
Theoretically that lineup could come a year earlier. You're assuming Doty and Faris will hold onto their starter status in 2012-13.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
BStew got a LOT of facetime last night... never saw that from a HS recruit during a college game!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I will have to watch the replay, but I recall one scrum play KML made last night that was unbelievable and also a drive to the hoop that would have rivaled anything DT or Maya ever did IF she didn't miss the lay up.

The scrum was an unbelievable play by KML. She either missed an open shot or made a bad pass on the offensive end, but rather than hang her head she dove for a loose ball that led to a layup for her team. She made a drive to the hoop late in the game that impressed Doris. It wasn't that the drive showed great athleticism (it didn't) or that the shot was difficult (it wasn't), but it was the authority with which she went to the basket. She's very strong.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The scrum was an unbelievable play by KML. She either missed an open shot or made a bad pass on the offensive end, but rather than hang her head she dove for a loose ball that led to a layup for her team. She made a drive to the hoop late in the game that impressed Doris. It wasn't that the drive showed great athleticism (it didn't) or that the shot was difficult (it wasn't), but it was the authority with which she went to the basket. She's very strong.
She is very strong and in that manner she is like Maya.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Right, and the amazing thing about Kaleena is that her expression almost never changes, except for an occasional brilliant smile. When she made that bad play on the offensive end, you could see in her body language an intention to immediately make up for it. Which for most kids, is a mistake. But Kaleena is a very intelligent and mature basketball player, so she just hovered near the ballhandler, waiting for an opportunity to pounce. That was very Maya-like, I thought.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Right, and the amazing thing about Kaleena is that her expression almost never changes, except for an occasional brilliant smile. When she made that bad play on the offensive end, you could see in her body language an intention to immediately make up for it. Which for most kids, is a mistake. But Kaleena is a very intelligent and mature basketball player, so she just hovered near the ballhandler, waiting for an opportunity to pounce. That was very Maya-like, I thought.

Geno (again) made some interesting observations during his post-game presser. He talked about players competing on every possession even after they've made a mistake. He singled out Bria who leads the team in turnovers but never stops trying to make plays and continues to compete on every possession. Geno said that Kelly does that too, and that Tiffany is also starting to play like that. (This to me is the reason for Tiff's improved play.) Geno didn't mention KML but he clearly feels the same way about her. Geno did mention that some of the younger players don't yet compete on every possession and that is why they're not playing as much. Geno immediately mentioned how pleased he was with Brianna Banks' play against aTm and hopes she can build on that. I, too, thought Brianna played very well in her limited minutes.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Cat, I agree with your comment re. Tiff's improved play.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno (again) made some interesting observations during his post-game presser. He talked about players competing on every possession even after they've made a mistake. He singled out Bria who leads the team in turnovers but never stops trying to make plays and continues to compete on every possession. Geno said that Kelly does that too, and that Tiffany is also starting to play like that. (This to me is the reason for Tiff's improved play.) Geno didn't mention KML but he clearly feels the same way about her. Geno did mention that some of the younger players don't yet compete on every possession and that is why they're not playing as much. Geno immediately mentioned how pleased he was with Brianna Banks' play against aTm and hopes she can build on that. I, too, thought Brianna played very well in her limited minutes.
That I think is a very fair assessment.

Reaction Score
I don't see the comparisons of KML to Maya at all. A very different kind of player. Now compare her game to Diana's, there I see certain strong similarities.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't see the comparisons of KML to Maya at all. A very different kind of player. Now compare her game to Diana's, there I see certain strong similarities.
I think she has characteristics and differences with both.

Reaction Score
NOBODY has Diane's PERSONALITY on the court. Her intangibles are UNIQUE!

Maya and KML are (relatively) silent killers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
KML is top level. Breanna may create a new level.

KML is something of a cross between Diana and Maya. Reportedly, Bree may be even better. Scary! Them playing together--very, very scary for the opposition.

Reaction Score
I think the same could have been said of EDD.

Breanna Stewart sounds exactly like what EDD was supposed to be (and is, albeit in obscurity). 6'4" with handle and shooting ability.

Frankly, I believe Geno when he heaps praise like that upon top recruits. When has he been wrong? Maya Moore was advertised as a possible Greatest Of All Time before she even set foot on campus; and she was!

Stewart has the ability to be absolutely transcendent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom