Breanna, Morgan and Moriah Accept USA U-19 Invite | The Boneyard

Breanna, Morgan and Moriah Accept USA U-19 Invite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Cool. I'm thinking Stewart may get on the WUG, but we'll have to see. Good chance to chat and play with A'j.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
No Diamonds on that list......

That's interesting. I though maybe she would be on the WUG list, but I don't believe she is eligible. She may be one of the hundred or so who attend on her own dime, but interesting that the top rated player in her class didn't make the invite list.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The list is composed of those who are invited and accept the invitation. Perhaps Diamond decided not to play USA Basketball this summer. Also missing is Russell who also likely declined. Unlike the U-16 team, I don't believe there's an open try-out for the U-19 team.

It was mentioned after the FF that Moriah was undecided about trying out but looks like she's decided to give it a shot.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The list is composed of those who are invited and accept the invitation. Perhaps Diamond decided not to play USA Basketball this summer. Also missing is Russell who also likely declined. Unlike the U-16 team, I don't believe there's an open try-out for the U-19 team.

It was mentioned after the FF that Moriah was undecided about trying out but looks like she's decided to give it a shot.

Good points. Yes, more likely that, like Dolson, they declined. I just guessed there was an open tryout for both, but may well be wrong on that point.

Reaction Score
No Diamonds on that list......
Didn't she injured her ankle in one of those All-Star games and maybe that's why she isn't there? I notice Mercedes Russell isn't on the list either.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
As corroboration, the U16 announcement mentioned the open try-out:

USA Basketball is conducting an open application process that is expected to add another 100-125 players who will compete for a roster spot on the USA U16 Team.

but no similar mention in the U19 or WUG

HGN

Reaction Score
A couple of years back when MoJeff tried out for the USA Teams she didn't make it for various reasons........Now with some UConn training and a season under her belt, its likely she has learned enough to make USA Basketball U19 Team.

I was hoping that these 3 ( along with Stef) would just sit out the summer and get some rest. Plus , I didn't want any of them to risk injury while playing too much this summer. But I guess when you're a player and competitor , you play.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

IIRC, Russell did decline - I hadn't heard anything about DD, though

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A couple of years back when MoJeff tried out for the USA Teams she didn't make it for various reasons........Now with some UConn training and a season under her belt, its likely she has learned enough to make USA Basketball U19 Team.

Moriah played last summer on the U-18 team along with Morgan and Breanna.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Wow, Wilson is 2 years younger than. (at least grade wise).

Wilson and Brianna Turner are the youngest of the invitees; both turn 17 this summer. Moriah and Morgan are already 19 and Breanna turns 19 in August.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They need to start calling A'ja "Baby Husky," as KML did to Stewie. It certainly worked!

It will be interesting to see how the USA Basketball POY fares. She won a nice award in her most recent pair of games. :) Typically, Breanna has been the best player on the team, even when moving up by 1-2 years.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
... Plus , I didn't want any of them to risk injury while playing too much this summer. But I guess when you're a player and competitor , you play.
- Yes, their consistent enthusiastic hard work, and ever widening experience, does seem part of what makes them elite.
- I'd agree with what I think is your final sentiment, HGN - it reminded me of that old wisdom...
"A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for." - Shedd

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I have a feeling that Breanna will be asked to the World University Games team. I think that U19's can make the WUG team, if they are asked by the committee.
With Dolson 99.9% sure she is resting this summer, and I think Chiney is in Nigeria doing foreign study for her major, that leaves two dominant players not in the front court for Team USA.
The other strong F/C who figure to make the trials, IMO, are Stallworth/UK, Harberts/USC, Plaisance/LSU, Thomas/Maryland, and Hooper/Nebraska. I think Stewart is a fit with those. Looking at the 2011 team the only girls on that roster, who weren't going into their senior year, were Chiney and Odyssey Sims.
I might be leaving off another forward center that might make the team but none stronger than the above. I would love to see Breanna play up a level, especially knowing what she can do at D1.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I have a feeling that Breanna will be asked to the World University Games team. I think that U19's can make the WUG team, if they are asked by the committee.
With Dolson 99.9% sure she is resting this summer, and I think Chiney is in Nigeria doing foreign study for her major, that leaves two dominant players not in the front court for Team USA.
The other strong F/C who figure to make the trials, IMO, are Stallworth/UK, Harberts/USC, Plaisance/LSU, Thomas/Maryland, and Hooper/Nebraska. I think Stewart is a fit with those. Looking at the 2011 team the only girls on that roster, who weren't going into their senior year, were Chiney and Odyssey Sims.
I might be leaving off another forward center that might make the team but none stronger than the above. I would love to see Breanna play up a level, especially knowing what she can do at D1.

The trials for the U-19 and the WUG teams will take place at the same time in CO (May 16-19) and the international competitions are in July. The WUG basketball competition is scheduled for July 8-15 in Russia while the U-19 world championships will be played July 18-28 in Lithuania. As I recall, 2 years ago Odyssey Sims was pulled from the U-19 roster and put on the WUG team because the latter team needed depth at the point. I think USA Basketball believes the competition at the U-19 world championships will be tougher than at the WUGs and will prefer to keep Stewart on the U-19 team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not really enthusiastic about our three burning it that way. As long as Tuck is sound, fine. Suspect Mojo will be fine. Sorta hoped Stewie would be a conditioning/bulk- gym rat this summer. Well, maybe CD can make sure a case of Nutriment + P is in her hotel room. Course, if I had my way they would all be in those sci fi suspension chambers with tubes and electronics all attached, etc , etc, etc.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score

I was hoping that these 3 ( along with Stef) would just sit out the summer and get some rest. Plus , I didn't want any of them to risk injury while playing too much this summer. But I guess when you're a player and competitor , you play.
I agree- all these stress fractures and shin splints appear to be a result of the yr round pounding. Especially Morgan's knee worries me the most of the three . I hope Steph isn't going!

Reaction Score
Not really enthusiastic about our three burning it that way. As long as Tuck is sound, fine. Suspect Mojo will be fine. Sorta hoped Stewie would be a conditioning/bulk- gym rat this summer. Well, maybe CD can make sure a case of Nutriment + P is in her hotel room. Course, if I had my way they would all be in those sci fi suspension chambers with tubes and electronics all attached, etc , etc, etc.

I would imagine that all the practice and games will help with conditioning. And it's not like they'll be gone the whole summer. She'll have plenty of time to hit the weights before November rolls around.

Reaction Score
Or....their future colleges are taking their once every four year allowable Euro tour. ND is on schedule to take theirs this summer. The same thing kept UConn players from trying out for the last WUG when Hartley and Kelly were among the "regulars" named to USA teams.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Or....their future colleges are taking their once every four year allowable Euro tour. ND is on schedule to take theirs this summer. The same thing kept UConn players from trying out for the last WUG when Hartley and Kelly were among the "regulars" named to USA teams.

Will ND's Euro tour conflict with Achonwa playing with the Canadian Nat'l Team this summer? I read that she was invited to the CNT's trials.

Reaction Score
Will ND's Euro tour conflict with Achonwa playing with the Canadian Nat'l Team this summer? I read that she was invited to the CNT's trials.

Not sure. May come down to the new coach (who is the old asst coach). Achonwa will likely try-out and attend some of the scrimmages which are in Europe too, but then leave for the ND trip. The goal of the team this year is the Americas qualification which is in September. Achonwa will likely re-join the team for that tourney during the school year like the Olympics. If healthy, she's on that team no matter what as far as tryouts are concerned. She's been on the team since she was 15 and I don't see it ending anytime soon. Interested to see if the new coach changes things up. The old coach had a tendency to just let guards run around the perimeter and jack up a low percentage shot while the posts got few touches. They had leads on Russia and France that better x's and o's would have got them the win.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Russell is going to Knoxville to do summer workouts with the team. I think it's a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom