Breakdown: Olivia Nelson Ododa | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Breakdown: Olivia Nelson Ododa

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree completely with your second point. So why do you think she hasn’t learned or been coached to do that in 3 years?
If you’re talking about Liv playing faster, part of it is physical. Liv is a good athlete, but she’s not super quick and never will be.

The second part is instinctive, based on doing something over and over again. I compared Liv to Pheesa, which is really not fair. Pheesa had great low post moves when she arrived at UConn and she only got better. For Liv it’s been a long process that’s taken a lot of time.

Liv certainly has been coached, particularly by Jamelle, and she was much better last year than during her sophomore year. With that said Liv needs to continue to improve to the point where she is a viable scoring threat in big games. I hope to see that this season.

Reaction Score
I agree completely with your second point. So why do you think she hasn’t learned or been coached to do that in 3 years?
It's hard to say what the problem is sometimes. I watched a game (no, don't remember which one - an easy conference opponent I believe) last year and Geno was all over her during a timeout. very upset about the way she had been playing. It was a good ten second rant.

Immediately on play resuming, she grabbed a rebound, missed the put-up, grabbed that rebound, missed the put-up, and then did it all again on the third try before losing the rebound. These were not highly contested shots. The announcers pointed out that it wasn't a good performance given the lecture Geno had just given her.

Maybe much of it is in her head. I'm confident she can work it out given the support everyone is giving her.

Reaction Score
She needed to put on 10-20 pounds of muscle so she could better bang down low. Its too easy for the bigger & better centers to outmuscle her for rebounds & position. I dont see this happening.

But, she should have developed a better finesse game by now. I would use the word "deliberate" to describe her play. She seems to be overthinking most plays, and a result, is not quick to act. Players can easily adjust or double-team her. I might be be sounding over-critical, but I just havent seen any improvement in her play or impact in her 3 years here.

Reaction Score
I remain very optimistic for Olivia to stand out as a senior team leader this season while posting significantly better numbers across the board.

P.S. Bashers and complainers are downers and tough enough to be around in person; the same applies to this board as we discuss fantastic young women playing for our favorite team.
Offering an opinion is not bashing and being a downer .Do you think you are a more loyal fan by trying to be Mr.Goodbar.? Give me a break!

Reaction Score
I posted this in an earlier thread, but it needs to be said again. If this annoys you, feel free to bash me, but give Liv a break...

3 things I really, really want:

1. Win both the powerball and megamillions.
2. Have the BY stop ragging on Liv.
3. Have the BY stop ragging on each other.

Of the 3, #1 is the most likely...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
She needed to put on 10-20 pounds of muscle so she could better bang down low. Its too easy for the bigger & better centers to outmuscle her for rebounds & position. I dont see this happening.

But, she should have developed a better finesse game by now. I would use the word "deliberate" to describe her play. She seems to be overthinking most plays, and a result, is not quick to act. Players can easily adjust or double-team her. I might be be sounding over-critical, but I just havent seen any improvement in her play or impact in her 3 years here.
There is some merit in the first three sentences of your second paragraph, but your first paragraph is completely off the mark. Have you compared her present physique to her physique in her freshman year? She has filled out by now to the point that upper body strength is not an issue. She proved that by grabbing rebounds in the NCAA tournament last year against Nalyssa Smith, Queen Egbo, Kamila Cardoso, and the Iowa bigs.

It seems that you, like many BY'ers, formed an impression of her in her freshman year and have failed to see the difference that she has made in that area since then. For that reason, the last sentence of your post is also wholly inaccurate.

I agree that she has trouble with double-teams from smaller players, and I don't think she has developed her post moves as much as she should have in three years. Her midrange shot is also lacking the needed accuracy. But physical strength is no longer an issue, and her BY critics should recognize that.

Reaction Score
I posted this in an earlier thread, but it needs to be said again. If this annoys you, feel free to bash me, but give Liv a break...

3 things I really, really want:

1. Win both the powerball and megamillions.
2. Have the BY stop ragging on Liv.
3. Have the BY stop ragging on each other.

Of the 3, #1 is the most likely...
I've read through this entire thread, and I haven't seen anything I would consider "ragging". Criticism, yes. Concern, yes. Desire and wishes for her to be a better player? Yes. I think everyone her genuinely likes Liv and wants her to succeed, and are giving honest opinions about what it might take to make that happen. If you haven't noticed, pretty much everyone on the team is also open to direct criticism as well.

You know what ragging is? If someone were to say that Liv is the worst player UConn has had in years and Geno should sit her on the bench, keep her there and completely rue the day he ever recruited her because she's a complete and utter failure. That would be ragging, and no one here has even come close to that.

And no, I'm not bashing you. Just giving a different opinion.

Reaction Score
I've read through this entire thread, and I haven't seen anything I would consider "ragging". Criticism, yes. Concern, yes. Desire and wishes for her to be a better player? Yes. I think everyone her genuinely likes Liv and wants her to succeed, and are giving honest opinions about what it might take to make that happen. If you haven't noticed, pretty much everyone on the team is also open to direct criticism as well.

You know what ragging is? If someone were to say that Liv is the worst player UConn has had in years and Geno should sit her on the bench, keep her there and completely rue the day he ever recruited her because she's a complete and utter failure. That would be ragging, and no one here has even come close to that.

And no, I'm not bashing you. Just giving a different opinion.
OK, your opinions are certainly valid. Your posts are very good. My problem is that Liv is the starting center on the best team in WCBB. Did she have stinker games in the biggest games? Yes. But in my humble opinion Liv takes way more of her share of criticism than anyone else on the team. Some of the criticism is fair, but some of the posts that she should sit on the bench are a little over the top. No I'm not going to find those posts, but never fear, more will come. All I ask is let's give Liv a break, these guy have human feelings too.

What I don't understand is that in my original post I wasn't "ragging" on anyone, but expressing my desire that some posts go a little easy on fellows BY'ers. This is a bad thing?

Reaction Score
OK, your opinions are certainly valid. Your posts are very good. My problem is that Liv is the starting center on the best team in WCBB. Did she have stinker games in the biggest games? Yes. But in my humble opinion Liv takes way more of her share of criticism than anyone else on the team. Some of the criticism is fair, but some of the posts that she should sit on the bench are a little over the top. No I'm not going to find those posts, but never fear, more will come. All I ask is let's give Liv a break, these guy have human feelings too.

What I don't understand is that in my original post I wasn't "ragging" on anyone, but expressing my desire that some posts go a little easy on fellows BY'ers. This is a bad thing?
Thank you.

I've never thought you were ragging on anyone. Far from it. Now, if you had told someone to go and sit their butt on the bench, then.... :D

Reaction Score
Thank you.

I've never thought you were ragging on anyone. Far from it. Now, if you had told someone to go and sit their butt on the bench, then.... :D
LOL. You made me laugh. The thought did cross my mind to tell some posters to go sit on something, but "you know who" would probably give me a 30 day time out. :)

Reaction Score
Offering an opinion is not bashing and being a downer .Do you think you are a more loyal fan by trying to be Mr.Goodbar.? Give me a break!
Hey Phil, not trying to be more of a fan or Mr. Goodbar but why do you feel the need resort to name-calling? Do you think I was referring to you? Is it because you are part of the half-empty club?
Clearly, offering an opinion is always welcome but my issue is with player-bashing and mean-spirited posts; they are not cool.
I don't think I could have been any clearer. After all I was replying to Geew1992's post re. Olivia that read: "Let the bashing begin." (those are his words).

Reaction Score
Do they still make these?
:eek::confused: Yes, they do. In various sizes, too. My fav!

Reaction Score

When did Liv start playing for Stanford?

Reaction Score
Hey Phil, not trying to be more of a fan or Mr. Goodbar but why do you feel the need resort to name-calling? Do you think I was referring to you? Is it because you are part of the half-empty club?
Clearly, offering an opinion is always welcome but my issue is with player-bashing and mean-spirited posts; they are not cool.
I don't think I could have been any clearer. After all I was replying to Geew1992's post re. Olivia that read: "Let the bashing begin." (those are his words).
Ok I will accept that you were responding to Letthe bashing begin as I tootsie exception to that. No , I did not take it as you were singling me personally but those of us who do not bash but only offer our opinions. If I could make a suggestion to you I would not paint with such a wide brush. Stay safe.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Honestly, if Liv wants to have success at the next level she's going to have to work really hard on her footwork, her finishing at the basket, her strength, her outside shot, and her proclivity for committing fouls.
Seems this same post was written mid way through Liv's Freshman season wasn't it?
In addition to the above I'd like to add "consistency". For example: Liv score 17 points against Cardosa and Syracuse in the second game of the tournament and they would go on to score a total of 8 points
in the next three games against Iowa, Baylor and Arizona.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Seems this same post was written mid way through Liv's Freshman season wasn't it?
In addition to the above I'd like to add "consistency". For example: Liv score 17 points against Cardosa and Syracuse in the second game of the tournament and they would go on to score a total of 8 points
in the next three games against Iowa, Baylor and Arizona.
Those stats are a bit misleading. Most of those points scored by Liv against Syracuse were not against Cardoso and were scored in that 3rd period when UConn took advantage of Syracuse's weak match up zone on the right block. Liv also hit a rare foul line jumper in that period as well. In fact, 3 of the 4 fouls Liv committed in the game were on Cardoso while the only foul Cardoso committed on Liv was a silly offensive foul where she back up Liv in the lane. Also, the first shot of the second half for Cardoso was in the 4th period because Syracuse (who only had 7 players on the bench to start) ineptly failed to even get Cardoso touches the entire 2nd half.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
ONO has a world of talent but we've only seen about 65%-70% of it so far...........I'm hopeful her final season will bring out the rest of her game........BTW if she played around 30 minutes a game she'd be averaging something like 18/12/4 per game, hardly disappointing numbers.....
If and only if these numbers were real instead of fantasy. When she actually plays well enough to be on the court for 30 minutes and actually achieves these numbers I will not be disappointed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno has talked about Liv improving in the areas she needed. He specifically mentioned mid-range shooting. Obviously, she hasn't bulked up much, though she is probably stronger. I wonder if we will see Liv playing the PF position more and letting Liya and Dorka bang inside.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom