Breakdown: Olivia Nelson Ododa | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Breakdown: Olivia Nelson Ododa

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yet against the better teams and better posts her numbers have been lacking.
Yep! Not so good in the big games.
1635276200990.png

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
ONO has a world of talent but we've only seen about 65%-70% of it so far...........I'm hopeful her final season will bring out the rest of her game........BTW if she played around 30 minutes a game she'd be averaging something like 18/12/4 per game, hardly disappointing numbers.....
Her stats for games against "top" teams. She averaged 28 minutes and did not approach 18/12/4 per game.
1635276387169.png

Reaction Score
Geno has talked about Liv improving in the areas she needed. He specifically mentioned mid-range shooting. Obviously, she hasn't bulked up much, though she is probably stronger. I wonder if we will see Liv playing the PF position more and letting Liya and Dorka bang inside.
I believe Aaliyah’s physical profile and aggression lends more to that of a “power” forward designation.
JMHO

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe Aaliyah’s physical profile and aggression lends more to that of a “power” forward designation.
JMHO
Yeah, power forward, but usually the center has more bulk and strength than the power forward. We may see Liv more at the foul line or on the perimeter. Just based on Geno's comments.

Reaction Score
Yeah, power forward, but usually the center has more bulk and strength than the power forward. We may see Liv more at the foul line or on the perimeter. Just based on Geno's comments.
At the risk of ruffling some feathers (raising some hairs?) on the Boneyard, SVCBeercats post above and film I have viewed of Dorka finishing inside, someone is going to be the odd one out unless Coach utilizes a regular rotation upfront.
Look at the last three games in SVCBeercats graph above.
All in Tourney.
Not a one off.
Who gives a crap if someone goes 30/10 against Georgetown?

Reaction Score
Yep! Not so good in the big games.
View attachment 70512
I completely agree Liv tends to go away during big games. But I would just like to point out I think a lot of what she does, sometimes, doesn’t show up in the stats (setting solid screens and being a solid defensive presence, even if that’s just making players think twice before driving)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So I've spent plenty of time delineating what I see as Liv's shortcomings. I think it's time I did the same for what I feel are her strengths. Now, I've posted some of this before and had few who agree with me. Perhaps some here enjoy listing the bad more than the good. C'est la vie. I will also continue to not criticize Liv during the season, only supporting her, as I've done the past two years.

1) Liv's athletic ability. People forget that she was a dunker in HS, and she proved it at the 2018 PowerJam Fest. The kid has hops. Liv is one of the few if any 6'5" posts in WCBB that has the ability to take a pass at the foul line, in transition below her waist, take that step to the hoop, and put it in for an and one. This is related to the next skill.

2) Liv's hands. Liv is one of the few in WCBB that can again, take that pass, sometimes below her knees, without fumbling it. If you have any doubt, review that shot by Paige against SCar. It wouldn't have happened if Liv hadn't caught a really difficult pocket bounce pass below her knees from Paige and fed it back to her for the shot. In case anyone is confused, the toughest pass for bigs to catch are the ones below their waist. Catching those below their knees, especially bounce passes, is truly rarefied. In this Liv is, IMO, world class.

3) Liv's passing. Liv has shown during her 3 years at UConn, to be a terrific passer from the elbow or on the perimeter. Last year she was, I think, 2nd best on the team.

4) Liv's speed. She has excellent speed. I thought perhaps she was the fastest 6'5" post in WCBB until I saw Cardoso run. Her I can't believe. Watch the game against UConn and you'll see.

5) Liv's endurance. Liv can go all day, and her effort and speed are as fast in the last minute as the first. Liv will never cheat you on effort.

6) Her practice habits. When Liv came to UConn Geno constantly complained about her practice habits. He often wished she had the habits of her past and current teammates. But Liv's improvement in so many areas has shown that is a thing of past. This then leads to the next area.

7) There isn't a single area on the court that Liv hasn't improved. Geno even complained early on about her voice on the court. Now, especially last year during COVID, you can hear her voice constantly. She's clearly a great teammate and a terrific young woman.

Lastly as an aside, Liv is occasionally creative with her swear words, although she has her favorites. If you're a good lip reader she does (gently) let the refs have it at times.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Oops! I apologize to Liv for forgetting her defensive skills:

8) Liv has continued to be an aircraft carrier in the lane. She's averaged 1.8 blocks per game last year, and 3.1 the year before. Her defensive footwork has continually improved since her freshman year as has her timing on her blocks which has led to fewer instances of fouling while attempting to block shots.

Reaction Score
As usual the weight of the world is on Liv's shoulders, which is absolutely ridiculous! No one is replacing Liv accept to give her a breather. Lets Go UConn!!!

I am so excited to perhaps see a healthy rotation amongst the post players. That's obviously pending on the new addition, Dorka. Now that we have 10-15 fouls to give from the Center position, the ladies can push a little harder knowing there is back up. I would like to see the newcomers expand the rotation but that usually doesn't happen so quickly at UCONN. We all know the system and demands are tough on first year players. The Post players, especially Liv, should be a standout if the perimeter shooting is what we think it could be. The last couple of years spacing has been a problem due to poor shooting. Praying that we are a little more deliberate on inside out play this year. Post play is a rhythm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom