2025 Recruiting: - Braylon Mullins | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Braylon Mullins

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Does anybody have a sense of who's leading? Seems to be the top target out there.

Reaction Score
My notes from all the highlights I could fine, 2 AAU games and 2 high school games. Not as much as usual, but I'm tired.

Overall: Looks to me to be around 6’4 to 6’5 and 185-ish. Decent size for his age and position--little bigger than Hawkins at the same age. It’s tough to get a read on him because he’s playing CIAC-level comp in high school and not in the top AAU league. Fair to say he’s an absolutely bananas 3-point shooter, and pretty solid at the rest of the game too. Looks to me like a 2-year guy.

Offense:
  • Known as a shooter and for good reason. While his shot is definitely unconventional (he pushes it with t-rex arms), he makes a TON of deep, contested 3s. Consistently at the 45% range from deep and 80+% at the line. It's the most important skill in the game. And he's absolutely brilliant at it.
  • Limited left hand at the rim, but he can drive left and seems to be working on it strategically. He has a little bit of a straight-line drive, and can drive and dish, but I’d like to see him work a counter in there.
  • Off-ball cutting seems to be a strength, especially from the corners.
  • He does some really stupid jab-jab-jab steps in high school that slows down the game, but all his work in AAU seemed to be with faster decision-making. Hopefully he keeps that up in his senior year, because that’s what he’ll need to do in college.
  • Not a 1v1 breakdown guy, definitely an off-ball guard.
  • Mid-range J doesn’t seem very good, but that’s also not what we look for on our team.
  • Better as a ballhandler than Hawkins at the same stage, but not as good as Castle. That may contextualize his handles a bit.
  • Has some passing reads in his game: moves it on the perimeter, drive and dish, hits ahead well. He will need to expand that.
  • Not a pick and roll ballhandler at all. He basically always either shoots or passes. He’ll need to develop that skillset to get to the league like he wants.
  • Solid athlete. Not on the level of Andre or Solo, but he’s getting the job done. Probably a Ross/Stewart/Liam-level athlete if that helps.
  • Uses a jump stop at the rim like Hurley and co. seem to want in all their recruits.
  • Right hand floater seems pretty effective, but he does resort to it a hair too much instead of pivoting to the rim.
  • Big difference I’m seeing between high school and AAU is his ability to relocate when teammates drive or pass. He got MUCH better at that. It’s a small detail, but makes all the difference on a winning team outside the box score.
  • Catch and shoot footwork for his age is elite off a number of cuts and in transition. A bit to clean up, but compared to his peers he’s superb. Dribble pull-up is coming along but still pretty good.
Defense:
  • Not a ton to see in his high school games because his coach stick him at the front of a 1-2-2 zone most of the game.
  • Effort wasn’t always great… but again, he’s overwhelmingly the best player on the floor so it can be hard to muster up that kind of energy.
  • Not a fundamental rebounder right now, but he doesn’t need to be because he’s just outjumping dudes.

Reaction Score
Does anybody have a sense of who's leading? Seems to be the top target out there.
The scuttlebutt is that it was IU/UConn/UK. But UK took Jasper Johnson and that might take them out. IU is local and is apparently trying to drop a bag, but it seems like the Woodson/offense factor is keeping him hesitant. He visits there this weekend so we'll see. Hurley relationship with him seems top tier. Seems like if we get anywhere in the ballpark on NIL we have a good chance unless IU really blows him away this weekend (they'll have Reibe and Sisley on campus as well). Michigan is apparently the dark horse since with Dusty May it's IU lite (still in midwest with an IU alum coach).

Reaction Score
Consensus is that it’s IU vs UConn as leaders, slight edge to IU given the home state. Word is that IU will pay up to land him as they’ve had a poor track record keeping kids home of late, and boosters will open their wallets to make it happen. Their downside: Woodson is on thin ice, can’t develop guards and they have a couple older guards that are due to return that would squeeze PT. They also lost Liam to UConn for similar concerns.

UConn has a lot to like for Mullins, as he’s a catch and shoot talent and would fit perfectly in the system. My sense is if he can get over the home state pressure and DH is willing to NIL up, could land.

UK was in play but word is that Mullins doesn’t want to play with one of their recently signed recruits.

Michigan could make a move as May is an IU grad and knows the dad. Up till now they haven’t been a big name on Mullins.

It feels like Reibe and Mullins are two recruits we are going up head to head against one other program, KU and IU, respectively. Both have plenty of NIL. It’ll be interesting to see how they play out as both likely top priority lands.

Reaction Score
Indiana is going to back back up the cash truck for him

Reaction Score
Gotta hope that Mike Woodson driving that truck is as off-putting to someone like Mullins as it should be.
If they have a disappointing season, he could just be fired. Hard to commit to a coach on the hot seat like that.

Ironic thing though is that Mullins might be more likely to commit if they do fire him, but that likely wouldn't happen until after he's committed somewhere.

Reaction Score
Gotta hope that Mike Woodson driving that truck is as off-putting to someone like Mullins as it should be.
This is one of those situations where Hurley may avoid setting precedent - and not look to match IU on $$ if too steep. Once you do it, then future recruits know it’s possible to squeeze you. He strikes me as someone that will stick to his philosophy, avoid bringing a fat cat into the locker room as not to rock the chemistry. The last thing he’s going to want is a kid that angles for the cash, who then may think they’re also above the work. It requires a level of humility to fit the culture. I can see recruits leveraging him up, but only to a point that is market reasonable.

awy

Reaction Score
IU will have to pay more than other programs to land a guy with nba aspirations, because of how bad their coaching is. it's just a matter of them offering less developmental value. it's a situation where persuading prospects that the UConn staff is head and shoulders above everything at the college level can work. This offense creates advantage for the player, more than playing friendship ball would. The more sophisticated the player is the more receptive they are to this pitch, so there's also a selection effect of filtering out the guys who don't value playing team ball.

Reaction Score
My notes from all the highlights I could fine, 2 AAU games and 2 high school games. Not as much as usual, but I'm tired.

Overall: Looks to me to be around 6’4 to 6’5 and 185-ish. Decent size for his age and position--little bigger than Hawkins at the same age. It’s tough to get a read on him because he’s playing CIAC-level comp in high school and not in the top AAU league. Fair to say he’s an absolutely bananas 3-point shooter, and pretty solid at the rest of the game too. Looks to me like a 2-year guy.

Offense:
  • Known as a shooter and for good reason. While his shot is definitely unconventional (he pushes it with t-rex arms), he makes a TON of deep, contested 3s. Consistently at the 45% range from deep and 80+% at the line. It's the most important skill in the game. And he's absolutely brilliant at it.
  • Limited left hand at the rim, but he can drive left and seems to be working on it strategically. He has a little bit of a straight-line drive, and can drive and dish, but I’d like to see him work a counter in there.
  • Off-ball cutting seems to be a strength, especially from the corners.
  • He does some really stupid jab-jab-jab steps in high school that slows down the game, but all his work in AAU seemed to be with faster decision-making. Hopefully he keeps that up in his senior year, because that’s what he’ll need to do in college.
  • Not a 1v1 breakdown guy, definitely an off-ball guard.
  • Mid-range J doesn’t seem very good, but that’s also not what we look for on our team.
  • Better as a ballhandler than Hawkins at the same stage, but not as good as Castle. That may contextualize his handles a bit.
  • Has some passing reads in his game: moves it on the perimeter, drive and dish, hits ahead well. He will need to expand that.
  • Not a pick and roll ballhandler at all. He basically always either shoots or passes. He’ll need to develop that skillset to get to the league like he wants.
  • Solid athlete. Not on the level of Andre or Solo, but he’s getting the job done. Probably a Ross/Stewart/Liam-level athlete if that helps.
  • Uses a jump stop at the rim like Hurley and co. seem to want in all their recruits.
  • Right hand floater seems pretty effective, but he does resort to it a hair too much instead of pivoting to the rim.
  • Big difference I’m seeing between high school and AAU is his ability to relocate when teammates drive or pass. He got MUCH better at that. It’s a small detail, but makes all the difference on a winning team outside the box score.
  • Catch and shoot footwork for his age is elite off a number of cuts and in transition. A bit to clean up, but compared to his peers he’s superb. Dribble pull-up is coming along but still pretty good.
Defense:
  • Not a ton to see in his high school games because his coach stick him at the front of a 1-2-2 zone most of the game.
  • Effort wasn’t always great… but again, he’s overwhelmingly the best player on the floor so it can be hard to muster up that kind of energy.
  • Not a fundamental rebounder right now, but he doesn’t need to be because he’s just outjumping dudes.
Excellent analysis-There is no question Mullins can shoot and is a bucket getter. A question for you at the next level in CBB. Do you think his low release point (which is extremely quick) will be an issue against strong and physical defenders in CBB or does his speed and footwork compensate for it? So far-Doesn't seem to keep him from getting his shot and making most of them at the HS/AAU level. If the defender is in his grill- Does that create a problem for his shot motion-making? Curious on your thoughts.

Reaction Score
For anyone interested, Zagoria keeps an active blog on remaining visits of top recruits.

Mullins and Reibe are actually together at IU this weekend, for a lackluster FB game against Charlotte. It could be a nice way for those two to connect ;) to talk shop.

Lewis, Thomas, Reibe and Bundalo finish their visits on the 10/4 weekend. Bundalo and Lewis together at UNC, Reibe at Oregon and Thomas at Arkansas. Adams has ND the following, Mullins has some lingering visits throughout October that I’m guessing he may cancel. All things considered, should likely be getting some announcements mid October.

Reaction Score
Any talk about what Indiana is willing to pony up ?
How much is too much for us to pay him?
From what I was told, the offer we gave him was a very generous offer ( which I won’t disclose now ). If he’s that good, which I think he is, and the staff is making him a priority and we have the money to spend, then pay him.
Full disclosure, I heard it from someone that I trust 100% and he heard it from someone from Greenfield that he trusts 100%
Don’t shoot the messenger :)

Reaction Score
general question that I think I know the answer for- sure we can give a big NIL $ offer to entice the recruit.

However these days aren't basically all of our players getting nil $ each yr to stay, so wouldn't giving an exorbitant offer to an incoming player potentially upset apple cart of existing players yearly nil "income"- which we would presumably would have to increase $ for returning players, all while staying "under budget".

Such a cynical question but i'd think this would be an issue with breaking the bank on one recruit on an already loaded squad

Reaction Score
For anyone interested, Zagoria keeps an active blog on remaining visits of top recruits.

Mullins and Reibe are actually together at IU this weekend, for a lackluster FB game against Charlotte. It could be a nice way for those two to connect ;) to talk shop.

Lewis, Thomas, Reibe and Bundalo finish their visits on the 10/4 weekend. Bundalo and Lewis together at UNC, Reibe at Oregon and Thomas at Arkansas. Adams has ND the following, Mullins has some lingering visits throughout October that I’m guessing he may cancel. All things considered, should likely be getting some announcements mid October.
Rumors are Braylon cancelled Duke and Tennessee visits so only has IU this weekend and UK 10/25 left for visits. I'd guess he'll bump up the UK visit or commit before then, doubt he has a full idle month.

Edit:
Tenn may or may not be canceled.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any talk about what Indiana is willing to pony up ?
How much is too much for us to pay him?
From what I was told, the offer we gave him was a very generous offer ( which I won’t disclose now ). If he’s that good, which I think he is, and the staff is making him a priority and we have the money to spend, then pay him.
Full disclosure, I heard it from someone that I trust 100% and he heard it from someone from Greenfield that he trusts 100%
Don’t shoot the messenger :)
Well that’s juicey info.

Haven’t heard much on NIL amounts this cycle other than UK breaking the bank for JJ into the 7 figures. If they’re setting the market, with IU their neighbor and having shown willing to spend in the portal, you might think they’d be willing to get close for a player of similar caliber/in-state.

To confirm, Mullins has cancelled his October visits with this weekend being his last, for now. He could lead the pack in decision making potentially.

Reaction Score
Excellent analysis-There is no question Mullins can shoot and is a bucket getter. A question for you at the next level in CBB. Do you think his low release point (which is extremely quick) will be an issue against strong and physical defenders in CBB or does his speed and footwork compensate for it? So far-Doesn't seem to keep him from getting his shot and making most of them at the HS/AAU level. If the defender is in his grill- Does that create a problem for his shot motion-making? Curious on your thoughts.

Personally, I don't care about a low release point nearly as much as many folks do. I think in 2024 when we're really hunting WIDE open 3s, and with solid lower body mechanics, it's fine.

Would I rather he have a textbook shot like Ray or Jordan? Well, of course. But when you're shooting well, you shouldn't mess with it.

IMO improving your shooting form in college is very difficult to do, almost impossible. At this level, it takes A TON of individual coaching from a shooting-specific coach to make incremental changes in an off-season. We don't have the luxury of those resources at the college level.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hopefully he an his family know that there is a bigger, longer-term cash truck available in the NBA if he gets coached up by Hurley vs Woodson.
You know that in the past two years two first round picks have come out of Indiana?

Reaction Score
These SI recruiting articles....

Adam Levine Thumbs Down GIF by The Voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members