Brawl in WBB | The Boneyard

Brawl in WBB

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Handshake line gone wrong.

Will be interesting to see the fallout. Multigame suspensions for multiple players on both teams likely. One or both teams might even have to forfeit games due to lack of available players.

Texas Southern is still probably the favorite in the SWAC, even though currently in 2nd place. They had wins over Rice, Hawaii and Tulane in the OOC. Their saving grace may be that the conference tournament is over a month away, giving players enough time to serve suspensions and still come back to try for an NCAA bid.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
OMG, the only thing worse than this brawl is the poor handling of the situation by the Conference itself...

1 game for 2 of each teams players? 2 games for 3 of each teams players? Seriously? The schools themselves need to do some soul searching...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Handshake line gone wrong.

Will be interesting to see the fallout. Multigame suspensions for multiple players on both teams likely. One or both teams might even have to forfeit games due to lack of available players.

Texas Southern is still probably the favorite in the SWAC, even though currently in 2nd place. They had wins over Rice, Hawaii and Tulane in the OOC. Their saving grace may be that the conference tournament is over a month away, giving players enough time to serve suspensions and still come back to try for an NCAA bid.

Is there any history between the teams or specific players that could "explain" this?

Plebe

Reaction Score
OMG, the only thing worse than this brawl is the poor handling of the situation by the Conference itself...

1 game for 2 of each teams players? 2 games for 3 of each teams players? Seriously? The schools themselves need to do some soul searching...
Well, I suppose these penalties (1-2 game suspensions) are consistent with those handed out after the epic brawl between Southern and TSU in 2015: SWAC suspends 15 players for fight in women's game

Ciani Cryor (the Rutgers transfer) and Niya Mitchell are TSU's best players. Both will miss their next game, and Mitchell will be out for TSU's rematch against Jackson State, the 1st place team that beat them in OT in January.

It's still possible that the schools will impose additional suspensions on the players.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
One good way to ensure more people read something is to tell them not to read it :rolleyes:

True. But don't say I didn't warn you. It's a bunch of racist verbal vomiting (well I only got about a half a dozen comments in before I shut it down).

Plebe

Reaction Score
True. But don't say I didn't warn you. It's a bunch of racist verbal vomiting (well I only got about a half a dozen comments in before I shut it down).
I learned about 15 years ago not to read any comments sections unless I want to be thoroughly horrified and disgusted. It's like the sewer of the internet.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I learned about 15 years ago not to read any comments sections unless I want to be thoroughly horrified and disgusted. It's like the sewer of the internet.

Sometimes comment sections can be entertaining and informative, but yeah too often they are cesspool.

Reaction Score
Tmz is one of the most racist comment sections I've ever ran across. The video could be about cute puppies and the comments will still be nothing but racism.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Wasn't there a bad brawl in a WBB game a year or two ago? Possibly between these teams, also?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a bad brawl in a WBB game a year or two ago? Possibly between these teams, also?
I linked to that incident above.

2015, between TSU and Southern.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Time flies; it was 5 years ago and Texas Southern was at it then, too.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Twice in 5 years for the same program? That's a huge red flag.
Two different head coaches, though.
Current head coach is the former USC coach :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Current head coach is the former USC coach

Hmm....yeah, was not a fan of the way her teams played. I don't think there were ever any brawls, but some of her USC players probably would've been down for it if the situation arose.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Hmm....yeah, was not a fan of the way her teams played. I don't think there were ever any brawls, but some of her USC players probably would've been down for it if the situation arose.
I have mixed feelings about her, but I'll share one moment that happened quite a few years ago when she was at Prairie View - they had played Rutgers (and lost) and after the game, as they were walking off court, all of a sudden she turned back to where our players were gathering, caught the eye of (Newton? Prince? Cappie? don't remember) and made a shooting motion and you could say she was saying "you need to shoot more".

Not often the coach of the other team gives advice. And coming from her, it wasn't taken badly at all.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I have mixed feelings about her, but I'll share one moment that happened quite a few years ago when she was at Prairie View - they had played Rutgers (and lost) and after the game, as they were walking off court, all of a sudden she turned back to where our players were gathering, caught the eye of (Newton? Prince? Cappie? don't remember) and made a shooting motion and you could say she was saying "you need to shoot more".

Not often the coach of the other team gives advice. And coming from her, it wasn't taken badly at all.
I have nothing negative to say about Cynthia Cooper as a person. Every personal interaction I've seen form her has been classy. I'm not surprised to hear your nice anecdote. But her coaching stint at USC was obviously none too successful, and I think she just had a tendency to run what I'll call a loose ship.

As a player she is an absolute legend. She has a great life story. Grew up in Watts. Was successful at USC but somewhat overshadowed by Cheryl Miller and the McGee sisters. Toiled in relative obscurity in the European leagues for over a decade before the WNBA was founded. (She did play on the 1988 and 1992 Olympic teams, though.) She was 34 when she became the WNBA's surprise MVP. Her play not only led the first dynasty in the W but electrified the entire city. (Don't get me started about how much I miss the Comets.)

I believe that what allowed Cynthia to build such a successful career as a player was how innately driven she was, and her personal work ethic and discipline emanated from that innate drive. I haven't really seen an ability to impart that to her players -- after all, how do you teach something that always came innately to you?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I have nothing negative to say about Cynthia Cooper as a person. Every personal interaction I've seen form her has been classy. I'm not surprised to hear your nice anecdote. But her coaching stint at USC was obviously none too successful, and I think she just had a tendency to run what I'll call a loose ship.

As a player she is an absolute legend. She has a great life story. Grew up in Watts. Was successful at USC but somewhat overshadowed by Cheryl Miller and the McGee sisters. Toiled in relative obscurity in the European leagues for over a decade before the WNBA was founded. (She did play on the 1988 and 1992 Olympic teams, though.) She was 34 when she became the WNBA's surprise MVP. Her play not only led the first dynasty in the W but electrified the entire city. (Don't get me started about how much I miss the Comets.)

I believe that what allowed Cynthia to build such a successful career as a player was how innately driven she was, and her personal work ethic and discipline emanated from that innate drive. I haven't really seen an ability to impart that to her players -- after all, how do you teach something that always came innately to you?

Coop was the best, she absolutely catapulted the league to a great start. Led the Comets to 4 straight titles and was the standout in all 4 playoff runs (along with 2 MVPs and 4x 1st Team All-WNBA). Wish she was about 10 years younger so we could've seen her in her prime for longer. I recall those who saw her saying she tore it up overseas (in Italy I believe) but few people knew how good she was when she came to the W. A little bummed her coaching career hasn't panned out as expected but definitely the first true legend of the WNBA and arguably the best WNBA player ever in her 4 short seasons.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

laughing (1).gif

Plebe

Reaction Score
Coop was the best, she absolutely catapulted the league to a great start. Led the Comets to 4 straight titles and was the standout in all 4 playoff runs (along with 2 MVPs and 4x 1st Team All-WNBA). Wish she was about 10 years younger so we could've seen her in her prime for longer. I recall those who saw her saying she tore it up overseas (in Italy I believe) but few people knew how good she was when she came to the W. A little bummed her coaching career hasn't panned out as expected but definitely the first true legend of the WNBA and arguably the best WNBA player ever in her 4 short seasons.
I believe Coop played one year in Spain and then about 10 years in Italy. She was definitely a star in the Italian league in the early to mid-90s.

Coop and Tina, with Kyla Pratt :D

Plebe

Reaction Score
As a little follow-up on this incident:

Playing without 5 suspended players, including their two best players, Texas Southern lost to Prairie View A&M on Saturday, in what would've been a huge upset under normal circumstances.

TSU drops into a tie for 2nd place in the SWAC at 8-2, two games behind 10-0 Jackson State. Those two teams will have their rematch this coming Saturday, but TSU will still be down 3 suspended players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom