Bradley to make decision on scholarship today | The Boneyard

Bradley to make decision on scholarship today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wonder what the decision is, exactly.
The decision is whether or not he gives up his scholarship for a year. UCONN has made him an offer. Bradly will either counter offer or accept the offer. The elements of a contract are offer, acceptance and consideration. This is no different. He does have options no different then playing a hand of No Limit high stakes poker. The question is what card will be dealt on the river.

Reaction Score
There is no counter offer. Either take the financial aid package, or play somewhere else. It's sucks he is in that position (even though in the long run it could prove more beneficial if he does get the 6 year pharm degree), but every school in the country would put Bradley in that position if they had to.

Reaction Score
You're basing it on Borzello? Given Calhoun's previous record carrying players such as Mandeldove who elected to stay at UConn, do you think he gave Bradley that ultimatum? If so, it will have been the first time we heard of that happening at UConn. Let's see if Borzello actually knows what he's talking about.

Reaction Score
You're basing it on Borzello? Given Calhoun's previous record carrying players such as Mandeldove who elected to stay at UConn, do you think he gave Bradley that ultimatum? If so, it will have been the first time we heard of that happening at UConn. Let's see if Borzello actually knows what he's talking about.
Who are you asking?

Reaction Score
Everyone. Everyone responded as though Borzello knew what was going on.

I'm basing my opinion on the reports about Bradley taking a financial aid package. I don't know what reports to beleive, but, except for the portion in parenthesis, my statement could also be applied to Wolf, Giffey or even Olander. Something has to give, and as unfortunate as it is there are a few players that would be encouraged to look for playing time elsewhere. It's never been made public that a player at UConn did not have his scholarship renewed. But it could have happened. Darius Smith said he had no intentions of transferring, talked about how much his dad stressed loyalty, and then he transferred. Nobody really knows why Majok left, we just know he didn't want to. If someone doesn't take a financial aid package, someone won't be back next year, but they will find a scholarship for Drummond.

Reaction Score
There is no counter offer. Either take the financial aid package, or play somewhere else. It's sucks he is in that position (even though in the long run it could prove more beneficial if he does get the 6 year pharm degree), but every school in the country would put Bradley in that position if they had to.
Legally Bradley is in a position of power and has leverage. He was granted a scholarship for the upcoming season. That was an offer he accepted. A binding contract. UCONN now seeks to renegotiate the contract by requesting Bradley to relinquish his scholarship 1 day before classes are to begin. Lets assume Bradley comes to the conclusion that it is not in his best interest to relinquish the scholarship that he is contractually entitled to? If I were advising MB I would be looking for UCONN to offer me something in return for this. Hence the counter offer. Financial aid usually entails loans to some extent putting MB is a worse position then he was in financially. What type of reassurance is MB getting? If he is smart I would relinquish the scholarship because in life GOOD WILL has tremendous value especially in business. Hopefully has received some reassurance. wink wink haha

Reaction Score
I'm basing my opinion on the reports about Bradley taking a financial aid package. I don't know what reports to beleive, but, except for the portion in parenthesis, my statement could also be applied to Wolf, Giffey or even Olander. Something has to give, and as unfortunate as it is there are a few players that would be encouraged to look for playing time elsewhere. It's never been made public that a player at UConn did not have his scholarship renewed. But it could have happened. Darius Smith said he had no intentions of transferring, talked about how much his dad stressed loyalty, and then he transferred. Nobody really knows why Majok left, we just know he didn't want to. If someone doesn't take a financial aid package, someone won't be back next year, but they will find a scholarship for Drummond.

None of would know for certain, but seeing as how he transferred to a JUCO, it seems that grades were an issue.

Reaction Score
Legally Bradley is in a position of power and has leverage. He was granted a scholarship for the upcoming season. That was an offer he accepted. A binding contract. UCONN now seeks to renegotiate the contract by requesting Bradley to relinquish his scholarship 1 day before classes are to begin. Lets assume Bradley comes to the conclusion that it is not in his best interest to relinquish the scholarship that he is contractually entitled to? If I were advising MB I would be looking for UCONN to offer me something in return for this. Hence the counter offer. Financial aid usually entails loans to some extent putting MB is a worse position then he was in financially. What type of reassurance is MB getting? If he is smart I would relinquish the scholarship because in life GOOD WILL has tremendous value especially in business. Hopefully has received some reassurance. wink wink haha

When was the offer made and accepted for this year? When was it officially renewed?

What do you think he can ask for in return? The school can give him financial aid package, but it seems as if you're saying he should be looking for additional damages and/or asking the school to commit obvious violations in a situation which is sure to have the NCAA keeping an eye on.

Reaction Score
None of would know for certain, but seeing as how he transferred to a JUCO, it seems that grades were an issue.
Guys have had grades issues and not transferred. Stanley Robinson and Marcus Williams for example.

Reaction Score
When was the offer made and accepted for this year? When was it officially renewed?

What do you think he can ask for in return? The school can give him financial aid package, but it seems as if you're saying he should be looking for additional damages and/or asking the school to commit obvious violations in a situation which is sure to have the NCAA keeping an eye on.
It was officially renewed in July 2011.

Reaction Score
From what I've read, what Bradley gets out of it is the scholarship year being used during one of his most expensive years of study (for the pharmacy degree).

Reaction Score
It was officially renewed in July 2011.

And why exactly can't it be revoked? Scholarships are merit based, what argument does he have that he earned it with his performance?

You didn't answer my other question. What exactly should he counter for that doesn't equate to violations?

Bradley (or whoever it is) still has no leverage. Just like last year, his scholarship is for this year only. If the player decides not to take the financial aid package, he may stick around this year. He won't play, and he will have this school year to find another program because he won't be back next year. You think Calhoun is going to bring a kid back who prevented Drummond from coming?

Reaction Score

Well lets put it this way...MB and the UCONN triumvirate should take the fifth as soon as this all plays out. As far as MB's future he will always be regarded highly for taking one for the team. After all I sincerely believe a person like MB considers his teammates his family. Lets not forget that. College basketball is big business and it is my hope MB has representation. Ultimately relinquishing the scholarship is the prudent business decision for all parties involved. Now lets win another National championship!!!!!! I can't stand Kentucky. :)

Reaction Score
And why exactly can't it be revoked? Scholarships are merit based, what argument does he have that he earned it with his performance?

You didn't answer my other question. What exactly should he counter for that doesn't equate to violations?

Bradley (or whoever it is) still has no leverage. Just like last year, his scholarship is for this year only. If the player decides not to take the financial aid package, he may stick around this year. He won't play, and he will have this school year to find another program because he won't be back next year. You think Calhoun is going to bring a kid back who prevented Drummond from coming?
Try and be objective and look at it from the student athletes perspective. We won't have access to any of the financial aid details or anything else that went on behind the scenes. Keep in mind that the request is to relinquish his scholarship to a player who he would be competing with for playing time. Do you think Michael Bradley spent his free time thinking how much better AD is then him while working out this summer in the weight room while AD pondered his basketball options? The purpose of my post was simply to express the fact that MB had contractual rights to an athletic scholarship bestowed upon him July of this year. UCONN is in a tenuous position with the APR so to claim MB has no leverage can be perceived to be counter intuitive. The scholarship could have been revoked before July 2011. It was renewed because UCONN believed/believes that MB has the potential to be a contributing factor this upcoming season. Calhoun made that decision. Now 1 day before classes MB will make the decision to relinquish the scholarship. Technically teams violate the NCAA rules ad nauseam to different degrees. It doesn't equate to a violation until you get caught. You could consider it a slippery slope per se.

Reaction Score
From everything I have heard Michael is a great kid and great student. If relinquishing the scholarship for this year and using the scholarship in a future year when tuition is more expensive is accurate, then I support. If that is not the case I will be disappointed in the University considering Michael's background and history.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
if Bradley were to reject this offer, what is the likelihood he gets to pursue his pharmaceutical degree on our dime beginning next year?

Reaction Score
From what I've read, what Bradley gets out of it is the scholarship year being used during one of his most expensive years of study (for the pharmacy degree).

I don't think that is the case. He could have had 5 years with his scholarship. Now he will get 4 out of his 5 years. All this does is take one of those years away. NCAA requires that you have 4 years of eligibility within a 5 year span. After this he only has three years of eligibility left so he can't try and use this years free tuition and push it toward his 6th and more expensive year of school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom