Bradley Situation | The Boneyard

Bradley Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It has been argued here in other forums by Uconn fans that Bradley would have had to pay for his sixth year anyway asssuming they didn't pull his cholarship this year. But his eligibilty runs out in his fifth year anyway.

"But according to ESPN.com, Bradley is apparently being encouraged to surrender his scholarship and go on financial aid this season, which would still leave the redshirt freshman with three more years of eligibility past this one, all of them presumably on scholarship."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/aug/29/ex-tyner-star-bradley-key-to-uconn-recruit/

So if I am reading this correctly, Bradley will be responsible for pay 2 years of out of state tuition, year 2 and 6 now, as opposed to just his final year. How does this work out for everybody??

Reaction Score
To answer your question Clothfrog, it's to ensure that UConn wins another National Championship. Explanations to UMess fans are unnecessary.

Geez, I thought you died!!! Your belated congratulations on UConn's 3rd National Championship are accepted.......

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I wish Uconn could give every poor kid who goes to the school a scholarship. But if that kid isn't one of the 10 best players, why is he entitled it?

I would have loved to have gotten all four of my years of college paid off...but I sucked at basketball. Now I have loans to pay off for the next 8 years.

Reaction Score
I wish Uconn could give every poor kid who goes to the school a scholarship. But if that kid isn't one of the 10 best players, why is he entitled it?

I would have loved to have gotten all four of my years of college paid off...but I sucked at basketball. Now I have loans to pay off for the next 8 years.

It's not in the NCAA rules but it should be. Schools are not pro franchises. Schools are schools. When they make a scholarship offer, they should make it in the exact same fashion that those offers are made to regular students. They get their scholarships for 4 years as long as they maintain the requirements.

To answer the original question of the diary, every player is eligible for 5 years of scholarship assuming one year of redshirt. But in practice coaches do not always give out 5th years if a layer isn't a major contributor. I think it's understood that you get 4 years paid for as long as you maintain your responsibilities. The 5th year is a bonus for some players.

Bradley may use up his eligibility after his 5th year and have to pay two years (this year, and the 6th year). The real benefit to him is the cost of that 6th year: $41,960 as opposed to $27,566. If he completes his program, he will have saved $14,500 by making this decision, and if he somehow maintains his NCAA eligibility for the entire 6 years, he will have saved $42,000 by making this decision.

Worst case scenario though, he doesn't complete his program, and he loses out on $27,600 subtracting outright financial aid (i.e. financial aid minus loans).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i believe it depends again if he redshirts. kids (IIRC) are allowed 2 redshirt seasons and have 6 years to use their 4 years eligibility, but they only get 5 years paid. if my math is correct, if he plays each season the next 4 years, he'd still have to pay for one more year. his best bet IMHO would be to redshirt one more year...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't think Bradley will have to pay the full amount of that loan. I know he can receive zero money from the school, but doesn't the government determine how much he should pay (based on his financial/family situation) and grant him the difference? He's obviously not well off, so I'd imagine he wouldn't be paying the full amount. Or does the school have to make up the difference (and could not do so in this case)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
I don't think Bradley will have to pay the full amount of that loan. I know he can receive zero money from the school, but doesn't the government determine how much he should pay (based on his financial/family situation) and grant him the difference? He's obviously not well off, so I'd imagine he wouldn't be paying the full amount. Or does the school have to make up the difference (and could not do so in this case)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The school can give him scholarship aid. Why not? Who said he can receive zero money from the school? The NCAA allows a school a one-time exception (over a number of years) that will allow the school to dole out financial aid to a player coming off scholarship.

Government subsidized loans are capped at $5,500 a year or so. It used to be the gov't provided Pell grants that would also help a poor student attend college, but that program has been recently stripped of funds, and coming so late in the semester, it's doubtful that any money would be uncommitted at this point. Any loan money above the $5,500 a year would require immediate interest payments if not interest and principal payments, so I doubt Bradley has applied for that. His max loan amount is likely $5,500. The rest would have to come from scholarship/financial aid and/or work study. I'm assuming that the school has given him massive financial aid, and that he's only out-of-pocket for the amount of loan he has taken.

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have Drummond but for my part I sincerely hope that Bradley is not hurt by this. And I will go one step further, I want the kid to get some decent minutes this year either way. Not that anyone cares but my non UCONN friends (yes I have some) are more than amused, not that their teams wouldn't pull the same thing if they had to. Drummond is only likely to stay one year so I hope it is worth it. I really cannot imagine that Calhoun would allow Bradley to not end up with the same or better deal overall, and no one here is ever to likely know the exact details of it. Of course it won't stop the media from their negative say.

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have Drummond but for my part I sincerely hope that Bradley is not hurt by this. And I will go one step further, I want the kid to get some decent minutes this year either way..
The only way Bradley should get decent minutes is if he earns it like everybody else (Which I too, hope he does). It probably wasn't what you meant, but the way I interpreted the above was that he should be given minutes as some kind of compensation for his sacrifice. That I would disagree with.

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have Drummond but for my part I sincerely hope that Bradley is not hurt by this. And I will go one step further, I want the kid to get some decent minutes this year either way. Not that anyone cares but my non UCONN friends (yes I have some) are more than amused, not that their teams wouldn't pull the same thing if they had to. Drummond is only likely to stay one year so I hope it is worth it. I really cannot imagine that Calhoun would allow Bradley to not end up with the same or better deal overall, and no one here is ever to likely know the exact details of it. Of course it won't stop the media from their negative say.

Duke did it, Louisville did it, many other schools have done it. Maybe your friends are just jealous?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The only reason why this is news at all is because Drummond is the best recruit available, regardless of class, and he could be the final piece of a championship team. If he was a lesser recruit or if UConn wasn't a threat to repeat, it wouldn't even be news.

Reaction Score
Duke did it, Louisville did it, many other schools have done it. Maybe your friends are just jealous?
Oh yeah, they're jealous no doubt, and it was good of Bradley to do it and I'm sure Calhoun will give him every chance to earn the PT.

Reaction Score

That isn't the issue at all. I am not going to sit here and say that I would rather not have Drummond than have Bradley give up his scholarship for a year, but I certainly would have rather had scholarships for both of them. The issue is not that Bradley doesn't get a scholarship for this season. The issue is that he was asked to give up his scholarship a week or so before classes start. Had JC said in July that there wasn't going to be a scholarship for him the next year then there is nothing to write about.

The bottom line is that Bradley did a very selfless thing for the team and I am very impressed by his willingness to do it. He is going to have to pay back the money, but he will still be lucky enough to have most of his degree paid for.

I don't think feeling completely sorry for Bradley is warranted because he is, after all, still getting a lot of his education paid for. However I don't think that people should be saying that he wasn't entitled to a scholarship for this year. He was, and he gave it up for Drummond.

Reaction Score
The only reason why this is news at all is because Drummond is the best recruit available, regardless of class, and he could be the final piece of a championship team. If he was a lesser recruit or if UConn wasn't a threat to repeat, it wouldn't even be news.

Bingo- we have a winner. If you look at how many times something like this is done every year at high level D1 schools it is a non-issue. Lville (who I like) have like 26 players this season- schools do this al the time. AD must be really really good for us to be getting this much press on something this common.

Reaction Score
Bingo- we have a winner. If you look at how many times something like this is done every year at high level D1 schools it is a non-issue. Lville (who I like) have like 26 players this season- schools do this al the time. AD must be really really good for us to be getting this much press on something this common.

Drummond being a top recruit and thrusting UConn back into the national title picture is certainly part of it, but I think a large factor is JC's relationship with the press and UConn being on probation. The media is pissed, but f them.

Reaction Score
i think at the end of the day bradley will be just fine. im pretty sure when he graduates if he doesnt get to play in the nba he will never have to pay a cent out of his pocket. he`ll problably get a nice check in the mail from AD covering any financial costs he may have.

Reaction Score
i think at the end of the day bradley will be just fine. im pretty sure when he graduates if he doesnt get to play in the nba he will never have to pay a cent out of his pocket. he`ll problably get a nice check in the mail from AD covering any financial costs he may have.

This is probably the EXACT situation the NCAA would be eager to prevent. Let's just say Bradley took one for the team and appreicate what he did to enable Drummond to come to UConn. People need to stop trying to paint this in some other light.

Reaction Score
Eric, you only get 2 red shirt years if one of those years is a medical red shirt. So Bradley would have to get injured enough to convince the ncaa to GRANT him a second year. What is being lost in this is that he is eligible for grants from Tennessee due to the fact that he was a ward of the state. I'm not sure how much is given but I believe it is worth the same as in state tuition in Tennessee. Therefore, he wouldn't really be taking all that much out in loans. It works out ok for him.

Reaction Score
It has been argued here in other forums by Uconn fans that Bradley would have had to pay for his sixth year anyway asssuming they didn't pull his cholarship this year. But his eligibilty runs out in his fifth year anyway.

"But according to ESPN.com, Bradley is apparently being encouraged to surrender his scholarship and go on financial aid this season, which would still leave the redshirt freshman with three more years of eligibility past this one, all of them presumably on scholarship."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/aug/29/ex-tyner-star-bradley-key-to-uconn-recruit/

So if I am reading this correctly, Bradley will be responsible for pay 2 years of out of state tuition, year 2 and 6 now, as opposed to just his final year. How does this work out for everybody??

We've seen schools give players a full ride to finish off their degrees who were no longer able to play due to career ending injuries. So I doubt that UConn would have any trouble paying Bradley's 6th year if he decides to finish off his Pharmacy degree.

Here's how I see it:

Bradley is allowed 5 full rides (the standard 4 plus that 1 red-shirt year he just took last season)

1 - 2010/11 Red-shirt year
x- 2011/12 Financial Aid + Loan(s)
2 - 2012/13 Back on scholarship
3 - 2013/14 Continues on scholarship
4 - 2014/15 Last year on scholarship
x - 2015/16 School rewards him for his loyalty and gives him a full ride to finish off his degree.

(Note although a Red-shirt player can get that 5th year full-ride, he can only have 4 season's of eligibility, unless there's a season ending injury and gets an exception for #6 from the NCAA if he's not played beyond the max number of games during that injury season.)

Now this assumes Bradley sticks around this long and doesn't end up playing for pay before year #6 comes around.

As for the letter of the law, the writer got it right, MB will only have 3 years of athletic scholarship awaiting him after this season. As for him not being taken care of for year #6, there's no chance that will happen. His coach, AD and University President all have his back and will make sure he's rewarded for his loyalty. Once his eligibility is up, the school can do whatever it wants to take care of him and the NCAAs can't do a thing about it!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
From all accounts by people who saw him over the summer Bradley was a better player than Wolf. Last season people said Bradley looked good when they observed him practicing. Wolf never looked good. Can anyone explain why Bradley was given the red shirt last season and not Wolf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom