Bracketology UConn as a #1 Seed. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bracketology UConn as a #1 Seed.

Reaction Score
I think @Plebe already covered this elsewhere....these polls are fairly meaningless until after the holiday tournaments have been completed.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think @Plebe already covered this elsewhere....these polls are fairly meaningless until after the holiday tournaments have been completed.
To me it just smacks of desperation to create content. It's way too early to differentiate between good wins and meaningless wins, or between bad losses and innocuous losses.

This is basically Creme's best guess at a ranking of the top 45-ish teams, with his guess-projections tossed into a bracket. If he put out a personal top-50 ranking every few weeks until January, that would be the same thing.

I have no problem with the use of polls and such as conversation starters, but don't call it "bracketology" when play is barely underway and many teams haven't even played anyone of note (UConn included).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually it depends on what is meant by memory. For example, I can remember elite teams in all sports from the past based purely on name recognition ( who comprised those teams ) but I do not remember specific games or performances they put on. That would pertain to remembering how dominant those teams were with respect to their competition. In any respect, some people also just have short memories or they have not been following WCBB that long.

I‘m thinking that 111 consecutive victories is pretty memorable. As well as being somewhat dominant.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I know Creme and ESPN are just trying to generate clicks, but there haven't been enough games amongst highly rated teams to have a good idea. I know Maryland returned all 5 starters from last year and added the number 3 class, so the SC win at Md was a good win. I can't think of another highly rated matchup, so far.

Reaction Score
I know Creme and ESPN are just trying to generate clicks, but there haven't been enough games amongst highly rated teams to have a good idea. I know Maryland returned all 5 starters from last year and added the number 3 class, so the SC win at Md was a good win. I can't think of another highly rated matchup, so far.

Maryland was missing at least one of those important starters so I'm not sure that win was as meaningful as it would otherwise have been.........................SC will get lots of better challenges as the season progresses and I expect they'll win most of them.........

Reaction Score
Baylor, Oregon and Oregon State has played no one to be a #1 seed. Baylor struggled against USF at home (without Cox I know) and I am not buying the hype about them. UConn can win the National Championship. We have players that can match up with every top team in the country. We may not have a deep bench like other top teams in the country, but when those top teams play other top teams they won’t go deep to there bench. Baylor played only 7 against USF and Oregon will do the same. Both of those teams will be beaten by UConn at home.
To say Oregon State has played no one (to be a number one seed) may be technically true, but could be a tad misleading through Saturday's action.

1. By Putting Baylor, Oregon and and Oregon State in the same sentence implies an equivalency of schedules so far which is simply not true as of Sunday morning, prior to any Sunday games. Oregon State is one of only 2 ranked teams in the Nation that has played 2 top 20 teams (based on the current rankings, not the ranking when the games were played). Oregon State is 2-0 against them and controlled the games in second half of both. The only other ranked team to play 2 top 20 teams is DePaul (which lost to Oregon State and beat Miami). Oregon State will likely face it's 3rd top 20 team this Friday when it visits Miami (as I don't see Miami dropping more than 3-4 spots after their loss at DePaul yesterday) At worst Miami will be ranked 21 when OSU plays them next. Yes, Oregon's win over team USA was very good but it was still an exhibition game. Today will be Oregon's first game against a top 20 team (Syracuse).

2. Oregon State has the current No. 1 RPI in the Nation, prior to today's games (Sunday Nov. 24). Obviously this RPI ranking could/will change a lot in the next few days and weeks to come.

I'm not saying OSU's 2 top 20 wins justifies it being a number 1 seed (Creme does) but it has more evidence to date than most if not all teams except for South Carolina with's it's win over Maryland, at Maryland. Of course this situation is going to be fluid starting today.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is like predicting the world series teams during spring exhibition games. Far too many wcbb programs use November/December cupcake games as exhibitions. And they play like it. My complaint is that they still charge admission. :rolleyes:

Plebe

Reaction Score
2. Oregon State has the current No. 1 RPI in the Nation, prior to today's games (Sunday Nov. 24). Obviously this RPI ranking could/will change a lot in the next few days and weeks to come.
At the risk of sounding harsh, the RPI is completely meaningless this early in the season and shouldn't be cited as evidence of anything. Charlotte is currently #4 and Abilene Christian is #6, for cryin' out loud.

Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding harsh, the RPI is completely meaningless this early in the season and shouldn't be cited as evidence of anything. Charlotte is currently #4 and Abilene Christian is #6, for cryin' out loud.
Most stats of any kind don't mean much this early. By the way, Oregon State's SOS is/was number 1 before today's action :)
P.S. The RPI stat caught my eye because it may be the first time in Oregon State's WBB history that is has been number 1. :)

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Most stats of any kind don't mean much this early. By the way, Oregon State's SOS is/was number 1 before today's action :)
Well, those two things go hand in hand, don't they? Many teams are still undefeated, so the only differentiating factor between them in the RPI formula is going to be SOS.

Reaction Score
P.S. The RPI stat caught my eye because it may be the first time in Oregon State's WBB history that is has been number 1. :)

Yes, Oregon's State's RPI/SOS is still #1 as of this morning. I also noticed OS has also played all 5 games at home (per WarrenNolan.com)...just something that caught my eyes...and congratulations to OS for being #1 in RPI and SOS on November 25, 2019.

1574669991075.png

Reaction Score

The same Maryland team that needed a miracle to beat James Madison by 2?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, Oregon's State's RPI/SOS is still #1 as of this morning. I also noticed OS has also played all 5 games at home (per WarrenNolan.com)...just something that caught my eyes...and congratulations to OS for being #1 in RPI and SOS on November 25, 2019.

View attachment 48539
I find OSU’s SOS hard to fathom. They have a nice win over a ranked DePaul team and another over Missouri St, a solid, but unranked mid-major. After that, they have 3 wins over cupcakes: Pacific, UC Irvine & Southern Utah.

Reaction Score
The smiley at the end of my statement had a slightly rye, amused grin on his face...congratulations should be extended!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This whole thread borders on sillyness this early in the season especially on November 25th 2019.:eek:

Plebe

Reaction Score
It's. Too. Soon. To. Look. At. R. P. I.

Come on people.

Abilene Christian, with a 1-0 record vs. D-I competition after its win over Wright State, is listed at #4.

Too. Soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom