Brace Yourselves Doris Burke Haters | The Boneyard

Brace Yourselves Doris Burke Haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I saw a little of that last season. Good for her.

FWIW, I don't mind her. She does tend to lock into an anticipated narrative, even if it didn't actually materialize in a game.

I love Kara, she's always got a good take. Of course Rebecca is always a pleasure to listen to as well.

Reaction Score
I have an afternoon doctor appointment and needed to purge my stomach of unnecessary waste. Thanks for your assistance.....:(:(:(

Reaction Score
Her role on ESPN is expanding.

Burke's More Prominent Role

Me, I have no issues with Doris. Now a certain SEC sycophant, whole different thing!

I've said it before. I absolutely love Doris Burke. I think she really knows the game, comes prepared and adds nuance to the broadcast. I met her at the Gulf Coast Showcase two years ago. We chatted briefly at halftime of one of the games and I can't tell you nice and warm she was.

Whether you like the tone and timbre of her voice is totally subjective. For me there's such a strong association between her voice and so many wonderful UCONN victories that, like Pavlov's dog, I smile as I soon as I hear her speaking. Plus she only uses superlatives when talking about Geno, our players and our program.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Good on Doris. The truth is if Doris were to stop being an analyst in WCBB, everyone else thereafter would be compare to her. As Colin Cowherd says, analyst is the toughest job in the on camera sports world. You don't like her strident, didactic tone? Sorry. I've always looked past that to the substance of what she says and how well she's able to contextualize. Frankly, she should have had a larger presence in MCBB and the Association years ago.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Doris Burke and Kara Lawson are the two best Basketball analysts on TV, period.

This is the best news I've heard since the announcement that Batouly Camara was coming to UConn. I agree with Richard Deitsch's take on Burke. I've mentioned several times in past posts, that Burke can call a game for me anytime. I realize there are some who for whatever reason don't like her. I do!! Kudos to Doris Burke. I look forward to listening to her color commentary & analysis of our games the 7 times that UConn will be featured on ESPN & ESPN2 this season. :)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Whether you like the tone and timbre of her voice is totally subjective. For me there's such a strong association between her voice and so many wonderful UCONN victories that, like Pavlov's dog, I smile as I soon as I hear her speaking. Plus she only uses superlatives when talking about Geno, our players and our program.

I have a similar Pavlovian reaction but in the opposite direction, haha. Especially because she's been known to break into those superlatives about Geno and UConn when UConn is not one of the teams playing.

Good for her, though. She's a solid analyst and she's earned her success. There are some analysts I like better but many I like worse. That said, I reserve the right to complain about her should the opportunity arise.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Deitsch said what I would have, given the chance. I did radio play by play for many years, and the difference between my better broadcasts and the ones that made me cringe on replay was often the level of partnering with the color analyst. I can describe game action with clarity and relative ease, but the explaining of that action is difficult and takes someone who not only knows the X and O, but also someone who has the focus and language skills to clearly explain actions in the tiny time windows that the game action provides. Of the two roles, analyst is more difficult, and it isn't even close.

Doris Burke is a real pro in my book. That she takes great care in her voice, diction, emphasis, fluency and literate style is what sets her apart. Some of her in-game tributes to Geno and the Huskies are amazingly artistic. Her rebuttal to Muffet's remark about "loss of class at the top of the game" during the NCAA finals was a classic.

Of course, opinions vary. That is a given. But if I were still professionally training young sports broadcasters, I would use Doris (and Kara, Rebecca, Kerith, and Megan) as positive examples.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Great for Doris!

I'm a big fan of her and her broadcasting skills. She has the deep understanding of the game, having played at Providence, and is able to transfer that knowledge to the average viewer. She can call a game for me anytime.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Deitsch said what I would have, given the chance. I did radio play by play for many years, and the difference between my better broadcasts and the ones that made me cringe on replay was often the level of partnering with the color analyst. I can describe game action with clarity and relative ease, but the explaining of that action is difficult and takes someone who not only knows the X and O, but also someone who has the focus and language skills to clearly explain actions in the tiny time windows that the game action provides. Of the two roles, analyst is more difficult, and it isn't even close.

Doris Burke is a real pro in my book. That she takes great care in her voice, diction, emphasis, fluency and literate style is what sets her apart. Some of her in-game tributes to Geno and the Huskies are amazingly artistic. Her rebuttal to Muffet's remark about "loss of class at the top of the game" during the NCAA finals was a classic.

Of course, opinions vary. That is a given. But if I were still professionally training young sports broadcasters, I would use Doris (and Kara, Rebecca, Kerith, and Megan) as positive examples.

An EXCELLENT post BB, thanks. :)

Reaction Score
Her role on ESPN is expanding.

Burke's More Prominent Role

Me, I have no issues with Doris. Now a certain SEC sycophant, whole different thing!

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Frickin' NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Her voice is finger nails on a blackboard- TIMES A THOUSAND!

She and Beth Mowens are horrible!

I can't believe that anyone would put Doris and Kara Lawson in the same category. Kara Lawson is brilliant! She knows the game inside and out, and really tells you something interesting every time she opens her mouth. Doris Burke just drivels on and on and on with useless factoids, and is more focused on factoids than the game itself.

Give me Kara! Give me Megan Culmo! They are wonderful! Megan actually ENJOYS the games. And she makes the games fun for viewers. And moreover, she appreciates and points out great performances by the other team. So much fun to listen to her!

But you've got to be kidding me on Doris Burke. Horrible! Just ruins the game- every game!- that she broadcasts.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Frickin' NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Her voice is finger nails on a blackboard- TIMES A THOUSAND!

She and Beth Mowens are horrible!

I can't believe that anyone would put Doris and Kara Lawson in the same category. Kara Lawson is brilliant! She knows the game inside and out, and really tells you something interesting every time she opens her mouth. Doris Burke just drivels on and on and on with useless factoids, and is more focused on factoids than the game itself.

Give me Kara! Give me Megan Culmo! They are wonderful! Megan actually ENJOYS the games. And she makes the games fun for viewers. And moreover, she appreciates and points out great performances by the other team. So much fun to listen to her!

But you've got to be kidding me on Doris Burke. Horrible! Just ruins the game- every game!- that she broadcasts.

Stop holding it back Fairfield. Tell us how you really feel. ;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Just to add to what you've said, there just ain't that many people who can do analysis well. Maybe 10 across sports. You have the director in one ear telling you when and what play to break down, the play by play in the other, the game in front of you, and 8 secs to be definitive and interesting. Try to get your cable repairman to give you the gist in 8 secs. I loved her before last year's NCAA's. However, when she said if she were a young player she would kill for a chance to play for Geno she went into my HOF.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
My only complaint about Doris is that she sometimes goes off on a topic at the expense of play-by-play details.

But remember, please, that we're talking TV here, not radio. The TV viewer has the advantage of the picture, the radio listener does not. That is a major "game changer" for the broadcaster. The analyst can depart briefly from the action, as the viewer, having video, fills in the blanks. I re-watched some UConn games, and Doris does not often make extended remarks during live ball. Dead ball is another matter. If there was any problem in this area, producers (not to mention the play-by-play person) would more than mention it to her.

That said, habitually or continually ignoring the game in front of you (which Burke does not do) isn't good form on TV. It's hideous on radio.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
upload_2016-9-10_1-36-48.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads