Boy are we gonna miss her | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boy are we gonna miss her

Reaction Score
She tricked us all! Just a few months earlier March 2014 I'm looking at the incoming UCONN Freshmen and thinking well Courtney can shoot, and Sadie can get to the rack, that Canadian kid got potential but that kid on crutches during the McDonalds AA game-I guess we are at least a year away from even seeing what she can do. By November once Gabby remembered to bring her sneakers, I was like OMG!

View attachment 28550
Gabby on crutches during Mcd's AA game.
An irreplaceable.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think this team is really going to miss Kia and Gabby on defense next year more than some posters on this board can imagine. They are elite players in this regard in every sense. I don't care how good the incoming Freshmen are, very few learn how to play defense well enough that quickly. Kia was an exception, which earned her a starting job almost right away. And Gabby, well she truly is a Wonder Woman. The emotion that will run deep on Senior Day will come from a number of different places. As many BY's know, these two have been roommates and best friends since Day 1. They can be seen interacting with the student section at the end of every Gampel home game handling giveaways, and have been doing so for at least two years, if not longer. In many respects, they will be like sisters, leaving home and going their separate ways when the school year finally comes to a close. As much as we feel their loss as two teammates we have followed for four years, I can only imagine the emotions on the court that will be running high as they play their last regular season game together (and final game?) at Gampel. I'll be there taking it all in and praying to God I don't blubber like a baby if I see tears in their eyes.

Reaction Score
Hopefully I will see Kia join her former teammate Morgan with the Connecticut Sun. this team is going to be a force this year and I hope the Sun can grab her.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think this team is really going to miss Kia and Gabby on defense next year more than some posters on this board can imagine. They are elite players in this regard in every sense. I don't care how good the incoming Freshmen are, very few learn how to play defense well enough that quickly. Kia was an exception, which earned her a starting job almost right away. And Gabby, well she truly is a Wonder Woman. The emotion that will run deep on Senior Day will come from a number of different places. As many BY's know, these two have been roommates and best friends since Day 1. They can be seen interacting with the student section at the end of every Gampel home game handling giveaways, and have been doing so for at least two years, if not longer. In many respects, they will be like sisters, leaving home and going their separate ways when the school year finally comes to a close. As much as we feel their loss as two teammates we have followed for four years, I can only imagine the emotions on the court that will be running high as they play their last regular season game together (and final game?) at Gampel. I'll be there taking it all in and praying to God I don't blubber like a baby if I see tears in their eyes.
UCONN WBB Team is multi-dimensional, but it is their defense that impresses me more than anything. Gabby Williams athleticism, and, basketball intellect is off the charts. I truly enjoy watching UCONN play defense. Not that their offense isn't amazing, but I love defense, and these girls are truly a team on defense. I wish UCONN played in the PAC12!

Reaction Score
Eventually someone will start a thread "will we be better next year than this year". But IMHO it's still too early in the season to go down that path. Having said that, IF we land Ezi, I would say we will be about even to what we are this year. If we don't land her, I would say a tad worse.

Both Kia and Gabby are elite world class defenders. Kia is an elite shooter, Gabby is an elite all around player. When you consider that the 2 players who will likely replace them in the starting lineup are Megan and Azura, the drop off is substantial. Both of them will need a rather large "sophomore leap" to come close to replacing what we lose.

I do get that Lou, Pheesa and Crystal should all be improved (especially Pheesa compared to how she started this season - she's certainly come on super strong lately so her "improvement" would be over how she started this year compared to how she starts next year).

Anyway, no matter what, we lose 2 absolutely amazing players - next season our starters will be "less" than this year, but our bench should be way "more" than this year...
Kia and Gabby are irreplaceable. It will be a long while until we see talent and energy and fortitude like those two have. Other players may well endear themselves to us ( Katy Lou, Pheessa and Crystal leap out in that regards already ), but Kia and Gabby are just plain old amazing. Enjoy every minute. No one will be like them.

Reaction Score
Every year I find myself repeating this same line. Once again, it's coming up very quickly - that annual bittersweet time when we hope that the season will never end. Other pictures welcomed. Bring out the handkerchiefs.

View attachment 28540
th
I'm late on this thread. But I share its sentiments deeply.

We'll always have Storrs.

Reaction Score
As much as we feel their loss as two teammates we have followed for four years, I can only imagine the emotions on the court that will be running high as they play their last regular season game together (and final game?) at Gampel. I'll be there taking it all in and praying to God I don't blubber like a baby if I see tears in their eyes.

Well, I'll be about 900 miles west in Indiana, but I already know the floodgates are gonna be opening that night in my house......and I suspect there will be no flood control. These two are just uber special.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Kia and Gabby are irreplaceable. It will be a long while until we see talent and energy and fortitude like those two have. Other players may well endear themselves to us ( Katy Lou, Pheessa and Crystal leap out in that regards already ), but Kia and Gabby are just plain old amazing. Enjoy every minute. No one will be like them.
Amen.

Geno has enjoyed a defensive luxury this season that surely will be missed once Nurse and Williams graduate. Your opponent boasts a top perimeter threat? Put Kia on her. Neutralized. Your foe has a go-to interior player? Assign Gabby to her. Limited.

Great players, both.

Reaction Score
Yes and Yes. Gabby has given us so many high lights, some times I just yell at the TV, Gabby Yes. Kia is the rock and both will be missed. We are blessed to have witnessed so many great players at UConn.

Reaction Score
Eventually someone will start a thread "will we be better next year than this year". But IMHO it's still too early in the season to go down that path. Having said that, IF we land Ezi, I would say we will be about even to what we are this year. If we don't land her, I would say a tad worse.

Both Kia and Gabby are elite world class defenders. Kia is an elite shooter, Gabby is an elite all around player. When you consider that the 2 players who will likely replace them in the starting lineup are Megan and Azura, the drop off is substantial. Both of them will need a rather large "sophomore leap" to come close to replacing what we lose.

I do get that Lou, Pheesa and Crystal should all be improved (especially Pheesa compared to how she started this season - she's certainly come on super strong lately so her "improvement" would be over how she started this year compared to how she starts next year).

Anyway, no matter what, we lose 2 absolutely amazing players - next season our starters will be "less" than this year, but our bench should be way "more" than this year...
To a well thought out post, I would add, we will not likely be better or worse next year. Just different. I have watched UConn women's basketball for over 20 years and Kia and Gabby are two of the most unique players ever seen. Can't be replicated or replaced. Based on how each player and recruit develops, Geno likely to still use the general Huskie system but tweak it to fit the then current strengths.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom