Boxscore | The Boneyard

Boxscore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like the fact that the link is pointing to the cbs sports website instead of the evil empire.

Reaction Score
I like the fact that the link is pointing to the cbs sports website instead of the evil empire.

Reaction Score
I liked JC comment. " We are not the number 4 team in the country, not even near it" The bigs will come around. I liked TO. He is ready, and AO will be there. I hope AD is not the second coming of Fab Mello

Reaction Score
I liked JC comment. " We are not the number 4 team in the country, not even near it" The bigs will come around. I liked TO. He is ready, and AO will be there. I hope AD is not the second coming of Fab Mello

Reaction Score
There is too much talent in this group not to become a better team. It's only 3 weeks into organized practices. Look at this schedule as OJT - I believe you'll start to see a well organized and more complete "team" come December.

I am a bit surprised though, that JC maintained such a short bench against Columbia. We were never really looking behind us, and the bench players can always use that playing experience. But JC is of a different mind set obviously.

Reaction Score
What bench? Wolf was the bench. Bradley, Giffey and Boatright were all out.

Reaction Score
wow...i had no idea TO had such a great game. 7/8/4 is very solid. i knew he played well, but that line is a huge improvement for him, and i expect he will continue to improve. the kid has obviously worked hard.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What bench? Wolf was the bench. Bradley, Giffey and Boatright were all out.
I think the poster was referring to the minutes AD, BA and DD played.

All three of those players really struggled this game. DD played really poorly on defense with his man constantly getting by him. AD was in foul trouble and looked lost on the offensive end - hence JC's Fab Melo comments. And BA turned the ball over too frequently relative to the number of times he touched the ball, played poor defense and was hesitant on the offensive end.

As a result SN, JL and TO played far to many minutes and were gassed the last six of seven minutes of the game. In other thread I criticized JL and SN for their defensive lapses particularly the last six minutes. I also felt TO lost his effectiveness during that interval. As a result Columbia came back from seventeen down as opposed to being blown out. But after looking at the box score, those guys were tired.

RB is a must for this team. I'm sure he will play like the other new guys, AD, DD, and BA. Last year the freshmen had an up and down season until tournament time. That is normal for freshmen. But RB is needed to spell SN and allow BA to play the 2 guard spot, his natural spot, to spell JL. Of course NG can also help there as well.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He had 3 blocks. Couldn't have been that poor!:confused:
The word poor is relative. He played poorly, imo, on the defensive end relative to the way I observed his playing in the two exhibition games. And I'm speculating he played poorly on the defensive end relative to what JC thinks is good defense, which is why he didn't get more minutes.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
True, blocked shots does not mean great defense. I believe Donyell was BE defensive POY and he always played matador defense.
The box score is a starting off point. As you point out there are other things to defense and offense that get overlooked.

Last season, mauconnfan and I pointed out that Alex misplayed his post player frequently when that player set a pick at the top of the key. He just didn't know how to cover the guard or he was slow at getting back to his own player. He fixed that starting with the BE tournament and seems to be doing that well in the first three games. I have to qualify this because the teams this season didn't have the players or plays that would let me observe if he has maintained this skill development from last season.

On the offensive end AO was mechanical on setting screens. Many times he didn't initiate screens but had to be told by Kemba to set them. And he didn't move to a spot in which the screen would prohibit Kemba's player from getting around Alex easily. I see that problem continuing this season.

Chuck, on the other hand, after the first eight to ten games, handled his player really well whenever his player set a screen away from the basket. He he had much better footwork at getting into the middle whenever an opposing guard would get by one of our guards. Frequently opposing guards had to shoot awkward shot over the seven footer or get the ball out of the lane. Chuck never got credit for blocks or turnovers on the stat sheet, but he altered the offense considerably with his play and took the opposing team out of their offensive rhythm.

On the offensive end, Chuck was the best player last season in setting screens. When he set a pick for Kemba, Kemba's man would have trouble staying with Kemba.

These strengths of Chuck did not show up on the stat sheet. His weaknesses did. He was a poor rebounder for someone his height, he got into foul trouble too often, and he struggled on the offensive end in positioning himself to receive the ball and when he got the ball he struggled to score.

I expect people to gush over AD regarding his offensive WOWS. But AD has no clue how to set picks, or place himself in a position that helps the offense. And he struggles on the defensive end as well in positioning himself when the other team is running plays. I expect him to improve. But it is those non box score things that I like watching just as much as the box score things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom