Box score observations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Box score observations

Reaction Score
@champs99and04 It would be interesting to understand our consensus opinion for what Larrier's "old self" exactly is. The entirety of our basis of expectations on him were the fact he was a top 25 recruit at one time. So was Purvis. Scott Hazelton was a McD AA.

Terry might not have his basketball legs underneath him yet, and you could argue his growth has been stunted due to injury. The point that concerns me is he's now been around our program for 2 years and D1 basketball for 3. Basketball IQ wise he should be advanced but the (Very) early returns (in a very small [exhibition] sample size) look a lot like the 4 games we got to see last year. Not playing within the flow of the offense. Ill advised takes that become points on the other end.

These aren't Terry problems either. 3 Pt defensive close outs have seemed late for years. Trying to "answer" a three by rushing down court and taking a bad shot roll us into our opponents runs. Missing bunnies that lead to run outs.

If you search OkaForPrez and 10 toes in you'll see a lot of my support posts for KO. But we didn't look well coached last night. We haven't looked well coached in some time. To a person, we all know over reacting to this game is silly. But what I think is clear, is that as a fanbase we expect to see a leap forward from what we've seen lately. If we don't see it early, its going to get ugly around here very quickly.

It's a lot more than that he was top 25. Before he got injured, he was a star in summer circuit games against pros. That was why he was much hyped last summer before tearing his ACLs.

Reaction Score
When UConn made that big run and got it down to 13 with 5 minutes left, Vital grabbed the rebound, came down the floor, and hoisted up a 3 from well beyond NBA range.

And that poor shot was the end of the run.

Reaction Score
Looking at the game and the box score, I hope Ollie (and/or assistants) manages Jalen's minutes a lot more going forward. 35 minutes for an exhibition game, down double digits is a lot. This is also the time to get the other guards minutes for when Jalen will need rest. It looked like Jalen was out there almost to the end.

One game but I was scratching my head.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looking at the game and the box score, I hope Ollie (and/or assistants) manages Jalen's minutes a more going forward. 35 minutes for an exhibition game, down double digits is a lot. This is also the time to get the other guards minutes for when Jalen will need rest. It looked like Jalen was out there almost to the end.

Dom Amore suggested the coaches were trying to figure out which players worked well with Jalen. I agree with you though. I was baffled that he played 35 minutes.

Reaction Score
Looking at the game and the box score, I hope Ollie (and/or assistants) manages Jalen's minutes a lot more going forward. 35 minutes for an exhibition game, down double digits is a lot. This is also the time to get the other guards minutes for when Jalen will need rest. It looked like Jalen was out there almost to the end.

I don't think there is anything unreasonable about Jalen playing 35 minutes. That's pretty standard for what you'd expect your star point guard to play.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When UConn made that big run and got it down to 13 with 5 minutes left, Vital grabbed the rebound, came down the floor, and hoisted up a 3 from well beyond NBA range.

And that poor shot was the end of the run.

Can we call that a poor shot anymore? DHam used to do that all the time. So did Rodney. One could call that play UConn Basketball.

Reaction Score
30 of those shots were quick shots with no ball movement or movement at all. Also two missed bunnies

That's been constant issue the last few years. Since the last Championship team actually - you would think there would be some emphasize on changing that.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is anything unreasonable about Jalen playing 35 minutes. That's pretty standard for what you'd expect your star point guard to play.
Pretty sure Kemba played pretty damn well close to 40 every night during his run.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
PC never missed. 4-4, 4-5, 5-8, 5-7 all over their box score. Can we get some of that? Seems fluky to me.
Last season Alpha Diallo was a .243% 3pt shooter and Bullock was .317%. Diallo went 3-5 and Bullock went 2-4. I doubt it was just bad defense. These kids shot well above their stat lines and unless someone can show they do that in practice I'm guessing this game was an outlier for them.

Reaction Score
Use your eyes

It seems weird to me to bring up Rodney Purvis (I judge him to have been physically exceptional at 15 ... and not on a pattern forward to live up to McD AA status) or Scott Hazelton (who was exalted in his HS ranking onto the All Star platform because it was regional) to Terry Larrier.

I still think Larrier will be quite valued this year. He has to be frustrated. But I do think - his apparent talent we've seen in glimpses - will emerge. Higher than the aforementioned. I liked what I saw in Whaley and Polley.

Frightening exhibition. That is for sure. Who is going to emerge? That's still possible. It's UConn. You didn't know Lamb or Daniels would in their big years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom