Box score observations | The Boneyard

Box score observations

Reaction Score
- Of all the things that disappoint me about this game, the fact that Larrier was a mess is the least surprising. It's probably going to take until conference play at least for him to look like himself again, and even then, he's still a player that had plenty of flaws when healthy. Developmentally he's going to be more like a sophomore even though he is 22, and that assumes there are minimal lingering effects from the injury. He tore his ACL 11 months ago. The fact that he's even back playing is, I think, the most we can expect. Whatever aspirations he has beyond this season are likely informed by his age, so don't be the person all year making snide comments about how he's bound for China or whatever. Best case scenario, he's probably a sophomore DeAndre Daniels this season.

- Does anybody remember the last time UConn allowed an opponent to shoot 67% from the floor? I don't care if the game is an exhibition or not. That's unfathomable, and it re-enforces what a lot of people overlooked: Purvis, Facey, and Brimah were our three best defensive players and we are going to miss them more than people realize. Brimah, in particular, has left a void that we're not very well equipped to replace. In fairness, he often left a void while he was here too since he fouled out of nearly every big game, but still.

- Brimah or not, that's really bad. Disclaimer or not (this is a new team, it's an exhibition, Providence returned all their starters, etc. etc.), this was really bad. We were down 27 when Providence started to lift their starters. That's alarming. The Friars are good but they aren't the best team we are going to play.

- In an effort to maintain some perspective, it's much better to get this sort of humbling out of the way now rather than in November, especially given we'll be fighting for our tournament lives from day one. They were always going to have to grind games out early on. The 2011 team and 2013 team both hit plenty of road bumps. The goal is to take care of the cupcakes and beat Oregon and then take things from there. Speaking of...

- Adams didn't play great, but he got to the line 12 times. His free throw rate increasing was going to be one of the keys to improving a dreadful offense from a year ago. For his career he's at just 2.9 FT/A per 40 minutes, but over his last three games - this exhibition and the final two conference tournament games - he has gotten to the line 27 times. There is reason to believe that he has turned the corner in that regard and might be more able to impose his will on a game. That will be necessary early on as we try to ease Gilbert and Larrier back into the lineup. He might have to put up some 30 point games to ensure we're unbeaten heading west for the Nike tournament. It might not be pretty and it might not be the way he wants to play, but his willingness to grind those games out on both ends will reveal a lot about the compete level of this team and whether they're different from last years team. There is enough talent here to score some points by accident, so if we can get the defense fixed, things might not be so bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Gotta like this. The Brimah/void line alone was worth it.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of what you said. I almost made a thread last night to discuss Adams at the free throw line. 11/12 is pretty spectacular. Just about the best thing you are going to find looking at that box score.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of what you said. I almost made a thread last night to discuss Adams at the free throw line. 11/12 is pretty spectacular. Just about the best thing you are going to find looking at that box score.
Please share link to box score or cut and paste it here - I also can't find one.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2017-2018/exhib1.html

Capture.PNG

Reaction Score
I like to see that we had 9 steals (2 for Whaley!) and only 10 turnovers, compared to 3 steals and 17 TOs for Providence. That's an advantage to playing three small guards at once. Glad to see we capitalized on that at least.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I like to see that we had 9 steals (2 for Whaley!) and only 10 turnovers, compared to 3 steals and 17 TOs for Providence. That's an advantage to playing three small guards at once. Glad to see we capitalized on that at least.
UConn's turnovers were their missed shots. 42 combined rebounds off UConn misses.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@champs99and04 It would be interesting to understand our consensus opinion for what Larrier's "old self" exactly is. The entirety of our basis of expectations on him were the fact he was a top 25 recruit at one time. So was Purvis. Scott Hazelton was a McD AA.

Terry might not have his basketball legs underneath him yet, and you could argue his growth has been stunted due to injury. The point that concerns me is he's now been around our program for 2 years and D1 basketball for 3. Basketball IQ wise he should be advanced but the (Very) early returns (in a very small [exhibition] sample size) look a lot like the 4 games we got to see last year. Not playing within the flow of the offense. Ill advised takes that become points on the other end.

These aren't Terry problems either. 3 Pt defensive close outs have seemed late for years. Trying to "answer" a three by rushing down court and taking a bad shot roll us into our opponents runs. Missing bunnies that lead to run outs.

If you search OkaForPrez and 10 toes in you'll see a lot of my support posts for KO. But we didn't look well coached last night. We haven't looked well coached in some time. To a person, we all know over reacting to this game is silly. But what I think is clear, is that as a fanbase we expect to see a leap forward from what we've seen lately. If we don't see it early, its going to get ugly around here very quickly.

Reaction Score
Don't like the assist numbers, but that's probably due to the bad shots we took.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
@champs99and04
We haven't looked well coached in some time.
To a person, we all know over reacting to this game is silly.
As to the first sentence, regrettably, I agree.
As to the second sentence, that's just nutty. Nothing remotely close to universal recognition that overreacting to this game is silly. Pure wishful thinking, also regrettable.

OP's point on JA getting 12 free throws is a huge bright spot, just as TL taking 14 shots would be if more than 3 went in. Grateful for CV to be picking up where he left off.

Reaction Score
How TF did Diarra foul out in less than 7 minutes?
Was thinking the same as I scrolled down and looked at the boxscore how do you foul out in 7 minutes. Didn't see the game but it takes some doing to foul out so quickly.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Key to the season is Larrier. He's a gunner. If he improves shot selection & moves closer to the hoop he's not shy. Will he? Playing Vital, may force the issue. May need three guards to score consistently.

Reaction Score
If a guy is consistently taking bad/contested shots, doesn't the coach pull him? Sit him for a spell and let him think about it.

Ollie has obviously given TL the green light.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I like Larrier when he's slashing to the basket and taking the open 3 in catch-and-shoot situations. I don't like him when he takes a defender off the dribble and pulls up one step inside the three-point line -- which he did multiple times last night -- and takes a long contested 2. If he can post his defender up and take a twelve-footer, that's different. I just don't think he's a good enough shooter to be taking tough shots like that on a consistent basis.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
As to the first sentence, regrettably, I agree.
As to the second sentence, that's just nutty. Nothing remotely close to universal recognition that overreacting to this game is silly. Pure wishful thinking, also regrettable.

OP's point on JA getting 12 free throws is a huge bright spot, just as TL taking 14 shots would be if more than 3 went in. Grateful for CV to be picking up where he left off.
I've found that sometimes talking to a group the way you want them to be becomes a self fulfilling prophecy :)

Reaction Score
@champs99and04 It would be interesting to understand our consensus opinion for what Larrier's "old self" exactly is. The entirety of our basis of expectations on him were the fact he was a top 25 recruit at one time. So was Purvis. Scott Hazelton was a McD AA.

Terry might not have his basketball legs underneath him yet, and you could argue his growth has been stunted due to injury. The point that concerns me is he's now been around our program for 2 years and D1 basketball for 3. Basketball IQ wise he should be advanced but the (Very) early returns (in a very small [exhibition] sample size) look a lot like the 4 games we got to see last year. Not playing within the flow of the offense. Ill advised takes that become points on the other end.

These aren't Terry problems either. 3 Pt defensive close outs have seemed late for years. Trying to "answer" a three by rushing down court and taking a bad shot roll us into our opponents runs. Missing bunnies that lead to run outs.

If you search OkaForPrez and 10 toes in you'll see a lot of my support posts for KO. But we didn't look well coached last night. We haven't looked well coached in some time. To a person, we all know over reacting to this game is silly. But what I think is clear, is that as a fanbase we expect to see a leap forward from what we've seen lately. If we don't see it early, its going to get ugly around here very quickly.

Yeah, that's the tricky part. Nobody knows. Was he a top 25 recruit? I don't remember him being that high. Either way, your point stands that we have no basis for comparison because he essentially has not played in three years. The outcome of this player is one of huge variance. Coming into last season, his possibilities seemed to range - based on his performance in the Nike summer camp and his projection as a first round pick - from rotation player to all-American. I think those ambitions should be tempered some this season, but it's still impossible to say.

I prefaced my original post by saying I hadn't actually seen the game yesterday (it was deleted for some reason), so I'll yield to you on those other observations. What you describe certainly isn't hard to imagine. The only good thing I can say is that it's better than what it was last season when a team returning four of their top seven players lost to Wagner to start the season. It's better in that it hasn't happened yet this season. The first Ollie team scuffled through at least one of their exhibitions from what I can recall, so it's not as if looking bad at this point in the season has been unprecedented. I guess @Chief00 's speech to fire up the troops didn't hit home as directly as he planned.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
30 of those shots were quick shots with no ball movement or movement at all. Also two missed bunnies

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom