Bowl situation | The Boneyard

Bowl situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
70 slots

69 teams eligible so far
1 more to be added with winner of Pitt/Syracuse
6 more teams still have a shot: (Texas Tech, UConn, So Florida, Air Force, Miss St, Hawaii)

MAC & Sun Belt have 5 more eligible teams than slots, so those are the schools most likely to be left out if there are more than 70 teams. Though Big East could be affected.

BigEast/ND has 6 slots I believe and 6 teams eligible, with 2 more possible.

Reaction Score
SEC will be short and will likely offer the Liberty Bowl to the #2 Big East team

Dunno. Based on my read, last SEC bowl is the Compass, which is supposed to take the Sun Belt if not enough SEC teams.

Reaction Score
Dunno. Based on my read, last SEC bowl is the Compass, which is supposed to take the Sun Belt if not enough SEC teams.

“@McMurphyCBS: W/SEC unable to fill all bowl slots, Liberty will take Big East team instead of SEC & St. Pete may have to take Sun Belt instead of Big East”

Who knows...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Miss State is up 28-0, Air Force already won. Hawaii has Tulane at home as an 18 pt fav.

That's 73.

Texas Tech is down at halftime.

If your list if right that leaves just UConn and USF next week, both will be pretty big dogs.

If UConn gets eligible, they should be ok.

Reaction Score
Hawaii has 2 games left - needs to win them both.
Meanwhile, thought UCLA was bowl eligible but if they lose to both USC and in the Pac championship, they'd be 6-7.

So, I think we're at 71 + Pitt/Syr winner + 4 possibles (UConn, So Fl, Hawaii, UCLA)

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You have to look at bowl tie ins as well. Conferences like the Sun Belt and MAC will not get spots over Big East eligible teams.
ACC has nine bowl game tie in's
Big Twelve has eight bowl game tie in's
Big Ten has eight bowl game tie in's
Big East has six bowl game tie in's
C-USA has seven bowl game tie in's
MAC has three bowl game tie in's
SEC has nine bowl game tie in's
PAC 12 has seven bowl game tie in's
Sun Belt has two bowl tie in's
MWC has four bowl tie in's
WAC has three bowl tie in's

If Uconn win's next week they will get a bowl game just not sure where.

Reaction Score
I just posted this in the Yankee Bowl thread but what the heck... Here is the pecking order:

The Champs Sports Bowl will have the first selection from the BIG EAST after the league's BCS representative has been determined. The BIG EAST's opponent in the Champs Sports Bowl will be from the Atlantic Coast Conference. The Champs Sports Bowl will have the opportunity to select Notre Dame, in place of a BIG EAST team, once during the four-year agreement. In play this year.

The BIG EAST has extended its agreement with the Belk Bowl in Charlotte, N.C., through the 2013 season as well. The Belk Bowl (previously known as the Meineke Car Care Bowl) will have the BIG EAST's third selection, after the BCS and Champs Sports Bowl.

The 2010 season featured the introduction of a new bowl game in New York City when the BIG EAST participated in the first New Era Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium. The New Era Pinstripe Bowl pits the fourth overall selection from the BIG EAST against a team from the Big 12 Conference. In the event that the Big 12 is unable to supply a team for the game, Notre Dame could step in as the opponent of the BIG EAST's representative.

The BIG EAST completed its bowl lineup in April 2010 by renewing deals with the BBVA Compass Bowl in Birmingham, Ala., and the Beef '0' Brady's Bowl in St. Petersburg, Fla. The conference also announced a new agreement with the AutoZone Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tenn. The BIG EAST will send teams to two of those three games in each of the 2010-13 seasons.

The BBVA Compass Bowl pairs a BIG EAST team against an opponent from the Southeastern Conference at Legion Field in Birmingham. BIG EAST teams are a combined 5-0 in the BBVA Compass Bowl.

If a BIG EAST team is chosen for the AutoZone Liberty Bowl, the conference's representative would face either the Conference USA champion or an opponent from the Southeastern Conference.

The Beef '0' Brady's Bowl will be played for the fourth time in 2011 with the BIG EAST scoring wins in each of the first three games. The BIG EAST will face Conference USA at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg.

Reaction Score
Here's the up to date bowl situation. As of today there are 70 teams bowl eligible (I did not factor Miami (Fl) in this 70 since they are serving a self imposed bowl ban), with 6 teams still having a chance to get eligible with wins next week. Considering 2 of the 6 (SyraPitt) face each other, so winner is in and loser is out. We can safely say a minimum of 71 teams will be bowl eligible, and 4 teams still have a shot at getting eligible (so worse case, 5 eligible teams could get shut out). UConn is at Cinci, USF hosts WVU, UCLA is at Oregon, and Hawaii hosts BYU. Here's the conference breakdown:

ACC: 8 teams eligible for 9 bowl tie ins (1 at large spot opens up).
B12: 8 teams eligible for 8 bowl tie ins (1 at large could open up if they get 2 teams in BCS).
BE: 5 teams eligible, with a shot to get 7 eligible, for 6 bowl it ins (but ND may take one of these). Could be looking for 1 to 2 at large spots.
B10: 10 teams eligible for 8 bowl tie ins. Figure they will get 2 teams in the BCS, so they'll be looking for 1 at large bowl.
P12: 6 teams eligible, with a shot to get 7 eligible, for 7 bowl tie ins. Figure they will put 2 in the BCS, so there could be 2 at large bowls available from the P12.
SEC: 9 teams bowl eligible for 9 bowl tie ins. They will get 2 teams in the BCS, so will leave 1 at large bowl available.
CUSA: 5 teams bowl eligible for 7 bowl tie ins. They will leave 2, possibly 3 (if Houston goes BCS) bowls open for at-large pool.
Independent: 2 teams bowl eligible w/ no tie ins (both will take a slot, BYU already accepted an invite).
MAC: 6 teams bowl eligible for 3 bowl tie ins. They will need 3 at large spots.
MWC: 5 teams bowl eligible for 4 bowl tie ins. They will need 1 at-large spot.
Sun Belt: 4 teams eligible for 2 bowl tie ins. They will need 2 at large spots.
WAC: 3 teams eligible, with a chance for a 4th team, for 3 bowl tie ins. They would need an at large spot if Hawaii beats BYU.

So, if we win Saturday, I feel very good about getting into a bowl. I wouldn't be surprised if it is either the St. Pete, the Liberty, or the Military bowl in Baltimore (since ACC won't fill it and both Army and Navy are not bowl eligible.

Reaction Score
where would the liberty bowl pick if they take a BE team? if they pick 4th they could take Rutgers leaving us with the pinstripe bowl. i think that's our best case scenerio. even though a win will make us 4-3 BE, you have to imagine the 4 teams with 8 wins will go over us. i really hope that Cuse beats Pitt so hopefully they'll both miss out on a bowl game. nothing would make me happier than watching them both go out on bottom. it's hard to believe the entire BE could be bowl eligible

Reaction Score
Winner of SyraPitt gets eligible, and I'll almost guarantee you that the ACC bowl slot tht is left open will select that team as an at-large if they're passed over by the BE bowls.

Reaction Score
where would the liberty bowl pick if they take a BE team? if they pick 4th they could take Rutgers leaving us with the pinstripe bowl. i think that's our best case scenerio. even though a win will make us 4-3 BE, you have to imagine the 4 teams with 8 wins will go over us. i really hope that Cuse beats Pitt so hopefully they'll both miss out on a bowl game. nothing would make me happier than watching them both go out on bottom. it's hard to believe the entire BE could be bowl eligible

after the Pinstripe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul