Bowl Question | The Boneyard

Bowl Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are you eligible for a bowl if you have a losing record? I think not. I believe the general way you can be bowl eligible is to have 6 wins and not have a losing record. I believe there is an exception for a team that has 6 wins and a losing record - and that is to win their conf championship. I am not 100% certain.

So who cares? Well, we have a 6-6 UCLA team on tap to play Oregon for the Pac 12 championship - if they lose do they become bowl ineligible?

Reaction Score
ESPN is not marking them as bowl eligible. I think this is because if they lose, they are out. You need .500 or above.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
The winner of the Sun Belt or something played in the New Orleans Bowl at 5-7 a few years ago, but I believe there has to be an NCAA exemption.

Reaction Score
As I understand it, anyone can apply for an exemption because of extenuating circumstances, but my recollection is the only one the NCAA ever granted was to let the Sun Belt champion go bowling when they weren't otherwise eligible.

Hard for me to believe UCLA would be in a hurry to even seek an exemption at 6-7, without a head coach, to play in a bowl in which it will lose money, but who knows.

Reaction Score
Being a 30 point underdog versus Oregon, it helps to be proactive in this situation. Even with no HC, it is always beneficial for a team to get 3-4 more weeks of practice and reward their players with a bowl game. And who knows, they might get a coach in place who can begin his player assesments before 2012 offseason begins.

I can see the outcome going both ways. They are 6-7 and not the conference champ so no dice. But they are also only in the championship game because USC is ineligible for the game. So without those USC sanctions UCLA would have finished 6-6 and bowl eligible, noit 6-7 with a championship game loss.

Reaction Score
I guess I never realized that all of the BCS teams didn't play the same 12 game schedule. Learn something new every day.

Reaction Score
Well, that does, obviously, increase the risk that if 7 Big East teams become bowl eligible, there will not be a place at the table for all of them. I still believe that 6 are o.k., with more than a 50% chance for a 7th to get in. But USF can end that discussion tonight by finishing to fall flat on their face in a season where I thought they were easily the class of the league.

I was certainly incorrect on that one.

Reaction Score
IMO, UCLA should only have gotten the waiver IF the bowls didn't have enough eligible teams to fill all the spots. Their league chose to have a conference championship game, so they should have to live with the consequences of not finishing the entire season at .500 or better if they lose in that game.

So now there are 72 eligible, with 3 more able to get eligible. UConn fans should all be rooting for UConn (of course), BYU to beat Hawaii, and WVU to beat USF this weekend. If all three happen, there will be 73 teams vying for 70 bowl spots. I like our chances at 6-6. If there are 75 schools eligible, then it gets dicey.

Here's the by conference breakdown w/ #'s and teams who are eligible or pending:

BE (5) UL, WVU, UC, RU, Syr/Pitt winner - USF and UConn still possible
ACC (8) VT, UC, FSU, UVa, UNC, GT, WF, NCSU, (Miami banned themselves)
B10 (10) MSU, UW, PSU, UM, OSU, PU, NW, UN, OSU, IL
B12 (8) OSU, OU, aTm, UT, Miz, KSU, Bay, ISU
P12 (7) OU, Stanf, UW, UC, UCLA, ASU, Utah
SEC (9) LSU, UGa, Ala, Ark, Aub, UT, MSU, UF, VU,
Indep (2) ND, BYU
CUSA (5) UH, S. Ms, Tuls, Mrsh, SMU
MAC (6) OU, UNI, Templ, Tol. WMU, BSU
MWC (5) TCU, BSU, Wyo, SDSU, AFA
SB (4) ASU, WKU, LLU, FIU
WAC (3) LT, USU, Nevada - Hawaii still possible

Status
Not open for further replies.