Bowl ban for Ohio State next year | The Boneyard

Bowl ban for Ohio State next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
tO$U is very fortunate from a PR perspective.

Their scandal involved free tats and a few cash payments. Then we graduated to full bore hookers on yachts with the U. Then we went straight to full blown child molestation.

Kinda makes tO$U look trivial. Punishment is about right.

Reaction Score
None of these programs will "get it" until they get hit with big scholarship reductions. Ohio State needs be be chopped down to Indiana status. A few years of that and they'll learn how the "other half lives". Need to have the scholarship reduction at a point where it's not a "death penalty" but they have to play with kids that they normally wouldn't look at. I'd like to see tOSU have to go with a walk-on QB all year.

Reaction Score
None of these programs will "get it" until they get hit with big scholarship reductions. Ohio State needs be be chopped down to Indiana status. A few years of that and they'll learn how the "other half lives". Need to have the scholarship reduction at a point where it's not a "death penalty" but they have to play with kids that they normally wouldn't look at. I'd like to see tOSU have to go with a walk-on QB all year.

Jim Calhoun called from our glass house. He asked that you stop throwing stones.

Tattoos and such was really not much worse than what we did. Where OSU screwed up is the sweater vest decided to lie to the NCAA about it and try and cover everything up.

Miami and PSU however have much bigger issues.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun called from our glass house. He asked that you stop throwing stones.

Tattoos and such was really not much worse than what we did. Where OSU screwed up is the sweater vest decided to lie to the NCAA about it and try and cover everything up.

And Tressel decided to play the athletes and then deal with things after the season . . . maybe. Besides the NCAA has done a whole lot to try and cripple the Huskies hoop squad (penalties for cell calls, graduation lags, etc). They left UConn with 10 of 13 scholarships (approx 76%). I'd like to see the Buckeyes with 76% of their football scholarships (about 64 players out of a possible 85).

That'd be a glass house I'd be OK with.

Reaction Score
And Tressel decided to play the athletes and then deal with things after the season . . . maybe. Besides the NCAA has done a whole lot to try and cripple the Huskies hoop squad (penalties for cell calls, graduation lags, etc). They left UConn with 10 of 13 scholarships (approx 76%). I'd like to see the Buckeyes with 76% of their football scholarships (about 64 players out of a possible 85).

That'd be a glass house I'd be OK with.
OSU lost 9 scholarships and has a postseason ban. UConn didn't get a postseason ban for our similar infractions.

UConn lost additional scholarships for APR, that's not related to the other infractions, your scholarship comparison is apples to oranges.

No punishment handed down to UConn was undeserved. We made our own bed.

You've completely missed the point (typical). Complaining that we were punished more harshly for breaking the rules ignores the real problem. The real problem is not that the punishments were, or weren't, handed out evenly. It's that we broke the rules in the first place.

Reaction Score
The real problem is not that the punishments were, or weren't, handed out evenly. It's that we broke the rules in the first place.

The real problem is that "we" got caught. This stuff happens all over in big time college football and hoops. Trick is to not stand out in a crowd.

Reaction Score
What was Calhoun charged with?

Failing to promote an atmosphere of compliance. WTF is that? Duke paid a player for an entire season and they we promoting a atmosphere of compliance? That is much worse than anything we did. They received no penalty. What a bunch of crap.

Basically, the NCAA had nothing on Calhoun or he would have been charged with something. Calhoun was guilty until proven innocent. Failing to promote... what a joke.

Reaction Score

Boy you enjoy playing the role of wet blanket a little too much.

Reaction Score

The tattoo parlor was a money laundering outfit, which is why he was covering it up. It wasn't simply memorabilia, a little more involved.

I can't fathom PSU coming under any NCAA scrutiny at all. Paterno hasn't been charged with anything and won't be, and the AD and VP will not be found guilty of perjury.

Reaction Score
What was Calhoun charged with?

Failing to promote an atmosphere of compliance. WTF is that? Duke paid a player for an entire season and they we promoting a atmosphere of compliance? That is much worse than anything we did. They received no penalty. What a bunch of crap.

Basically, the NCAA had nothing on Calhoun or he would have been charged with something. Calhoun was guilty until proven innocent. Failing to promote... what a joke.
Did you even read the NCAA report? Or are the rules different for the baksetball coach? Then again, looking at what is going on at Syracuse, since Calhoun, doing the Sgt. Schultz is now considered a defense. that was Calhoun's defense. Fortunately the actions of his assistants were nowhere near as disgusting, not even o n the same planet, as
Boeheim's.

Reaction Score
The tattoo parlor was a money laundering outfit, which is why he was covering it up. It wasn't simply memorabilia, a little more involved.

I can't fathom PSU coming under any NCAA scrutiny at all. Paterno hasn't been charged with anything and won't be, and the AD and VP will not be found guilty of perjury.
I have to agree with you regarding the NCAA. this was very troubling behavior by various members of the athletic department, but it was criminal behavior, not NCAA violations. Penn State, in my view, ought not to have accepted a bowl invitation this year, and the university needs to step in and apply some very high standards and oversight going forward, but I'm not sure the NCAA has any role and it could muck things up legally at some point if it intepheres with some of th ecriminal and civil suits now going forward.

Reaction Score
I
I have to agree with you regarding the NCAA. this was very troubling behavior by various members of the athletic department, but it was criminal behavior, not NCAA violations. Penn State, in my view, ought not to have accepted a bowl invitation this year, and the university needs to step in and apply some very high standards and oversight going forward, but I'm not sure the NCAA has any role and it could muck things up legally at some point if it intepheres with some of th ecriminal and civil suits now going forward.

I could see if it was criminal behavior that the NCAA may have gotten involved, but given this week's pretrial testimony when McQueary basically opened up what he said to a range of interpretation, it will be very difficult to prove the two officials perjured themselves. He didn't use the words anal rape nor said anything about insertion, etc. It doesn't absolve PSU at all since what he described was "sexual and inappropriate" but now the question of perjury is hard to prove.

Reaction Score
Boy you enjoy playing the role of wet blanket a little too much.
And you enjoy the role of the condescending mushroom cap a little too much.

To each their own. Merry Christmas.

Reaction Score
The real problem is that "we" got caught. This stuff happens all over in big time college football and hoops. Trick is to not stand out in a crowd.

Agreed, it happens all the time, and I'll never accuse the NCAA of being "fair". If we want to worry about whether or not our punishment fits the transgression, then we should stop screwing up and keep a few more guys academically eligible at worst.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They got off light. They essentially engaged in a cover-up to get into a bowl game that they should have been booted from. They now pay up a few years later by missing what would probably be a lesser bowl. Mission accomplished.

Reaction Score
tO$U is very fortunate from a PR perspective.

Their scandal involved free tats and a few cash payments. Then we graduated to full bore hookers on yachts with the U. Then we went straight to full blown child molestation.

Kinda makes tO$U look trivial. Punishment is about right.

The NCAA just reinstated Dequan Jones. He was the basketball player that Shapiro claimed he paid all of that money to which makes all of his other claims look weaker. I know it is threadjacking in a way, but I just felt it was worth mentioning given what this thread is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom