Bounce Back and Resilience | The Boneyard

Bounce Back and Resilience

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I thought the resilience the team showed overall was very impressive. The 2nd quarter showed we have some ways to go but the bounce back at halftime was great to see. Injuries are part of the game and I know that affected play calling.

We also had 3 plays I thought the officials missed that affected the game.

The first was the out of bounds play in the first half where the officials ruled we pushed their receiver out of bounds and then he came in bounds and caught the ball. I was under the understanding that if a player are pushed out of bounds, the player had to try to get back in bounds as soon as possible. The receiver didn't do that.

The second play was Zion's bomb where their DB tackled the receiver. I thought the ball was overthrown but normally that call is made. Finally the phantom PI.

Of course, there were little plays where we hurt ourselves, like Russ Dixon stepping out of bounds prior to catching the ball in the 2nd qtr. 3 turnovers as well. But man, the fight in this dog was impressive. As was referenced before by Chin Diesel, this game helps fortifies the foundation laid by Mora and his staff. Keep building that foundation and then the next levels will come quicker. I am proud of how this team played and how it was coached. I don't believe in moral victories and neither does Mora, but you have to start somewhere. No better place than here, no better time than now really means something after many years!!!!

Reaction Score
That’s a game that would’ve unraveled in the second half over the past several years. Offense couldn’t get anything going and the defense was on the field too much in the second quarter, but they recalibrated at half time.

They won’t be happy with the result, but the players should be proud of their effort yesterday. It’s something to build on.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Maybe the biggest accomplishment yesterday is that they put that awful second quarter behind them and instead recommitted to max effort in that second half. Not sure the last time we saw a bounce back like that from this program.

Although many guys showed us a lot yesterday, I thought the top standouts were these guys:
Nate Carter- wow, great vision, patience, acceleration
Jackson Mitchell - his offseason program has made a difference, he is not only all over the field, he is now coming into the plays running downhill. He is star.
Noe Roelas - get this man a scholarship- what a leg!
Randle-Bouyer & Ian Swenson- these two were in on a lot of plays too.

Rotational surprises: Didn't hear much about these guys in camp, but they managed to lot of snaps on game day:
Carter Hooper at DL
Russ Dixon at TE

On the DL:
Seems like snaps were well distributed among:
Gourdine
McDuffie
Watts
McCarthy
Yates
Oladele
Stafford

And of these guys I thought perhaps McCarthy and Gourdine stood out.

Switching gears to looking ahead, not sure I would change much other than I would like to see them try to get the ball to the TEs on this team a bit more and to target big Nigel Fitzgerald when he returns from whatever is ailing him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe the biggest accomplishment yesterday is that they put that awful second quarter behind them and instead recommitted to max effort in that second half. Not sure the last time we saw a bounce back like that from this program.

Although many guys showed us a lot yesterday, I thought the top standouts were these guys:
Jackson Mitchell - his offseason program has made a difference, he is not only all over the field, he is now coming into the plays running downhill. He is star.

Rotational surprises: Didn't hear much about these guys in camp, but they managed to lot of snaps on game day:
Carter Hooper at DL
Russ Dixon at TE

On the DL:
Gourdine
McDuffie
Watts
McCarthy
Yates
Oladele
Stafford

Switching gears to looking ahead, not sure I would change much other than I would like to see them try to get the ball to the TEs on this team a bit more and to target big Nigel Fitzgerald when he returns from whatever is ailing him.
Noe Roelas - get this man a scholarship- what a leg! YES! Was great yesterday.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Carter Hooper at DL
Russ Dixon at TE

On the DL:
Gourdine
McDuffie
Watts
McCarthy
Yates
Oladele
Stafford

It will be Interesting to see the two deep this week. I wouldn't be shocked to see significant changes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Noe Roelas - get this man a scholarship- what a leg! YES! Was great yesterday.
Is he not on scholarship already?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Completely agree on the no call pass interference on the deep ball by Turner earlier in the game. I don't think the contact was incidental and the commenter thought it may have been deemed uncatchable but they usually don't say uncatchable unless it's completely obvious. A WR going top speed down the field can cover a lot of ground if they aren't tackle the turf.

Reaction Score
It’s interesting that I’ve not heard that the players mentioned the altitude. We were told by long time USU fans—before the game— that visiting teams seem to lose momentum in the 2nd Q—then get second wind at halftime. Some teams bring Oxygen. We had a bad 2nd Q.
Walking to our cars up slight inclines we heard lots of folks breathing hard. Can’t believe our receivers and dbs ran up and down the field all game without impact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom