Bouknight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bouknight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe the best path for him to gain maturity was to struggle in the NBA.

Failure can be a good foundation for success. It inspires introspection.
We are seeing how that works. To me it was like having a HS student skip a grade to start earning money a year earlier. What those who support such adventures don’t calculate is the irreversible damage that can do. Sometimes maturing takes time, it needs to slowly soak in. But, then you have the inexperienced handlers cheered on by the strike it rich overnight crowd, pushing someone out so far out on a limb, they may never recover. Experience by definition takes time. Patience is often needed. What’s the rush?

pj

Reaction Score
We are seeing how that works. To me it was like having a HS student skip a grade to start earning money a year earlier. What those who support such adventures don’t calculate is the irreversible damage that can do. Sometimes maturing takes time, it needs to slowly soak in. But, then you have the inexperienced handlers cheered on by the strike it rich overnight crowd, pushing someone out so far out on a limb, they may never recover. Experience by definition takes time. Patience is often needed. What’s the rush?

Maybe James is like wine and time in the cask is what he needed. But it's also possible that another year in college would have only delayed the experiences he needs. Being big man on campus for another year might give a proud young man an even bigger head. Alternatively struggling in the pros might make a proud young man bitter, and bitterness can disable effort.

It all comes down to James and his character. If he has good character he will learn from every experience and grow in maturity wherever he is. A bad character will fail no matter what path he takes. In the middle characters, where some paths lead to success and some to failure, only those close to him can judge what experiences he most needs. God is closest of all; hopefully James has some faith and consults Him.

Reaction Score
My son is a huge Hornets fan and we watch most games. They are loaded in backcourt and Borrego prefers vets.

I will say this - there was a little stretch where he got run and he looked really, really good. Showed the ability to get shots off easily and outside shooting looked improved as well. Just looked so comfortable, and oozed potential.

Hoping he gets traded as Rozier Ball is a great backcourt. Hornets are a really fun team to watch, it’s too bad Borrego Has such a hard on for vets.

Reaction Score
To think that James doesn't already have NBA baggage is similar to living under a rock.

How often does a player get kicked off the bench to the lockeroom by the head coach for basically insubordination. Gee, just what every team needs. Let’s pretend that has no impact on trade value or next contract. And being a 1st round lottery pick and not stepping foot on the court for a month at this stage of the season - is let’s pretend a nothing to see here event.

I guess we have to put what happened in Vegas aside, because it was in Vegas, it was early in his professional career and what happens there stays in Vegas.

The Gampel fiasco was during All Star Break, but if you don’t understand that as someone spiraling out of control, then you are either delusional or lack maturity yourself.

If you don’t think he needs to turn the page and stop being a headache and start doing things the right way. You are no friend or alley of his.

I pray he starts on a better path very soon.
Gotta ask @Chief00 since you’ve brought it up on multiple posts… what happened in Vegas?

Reaction Score
My son is a huge Hornets fan and we watch most games. They are loaded in backcourt and Borrego prefers vets.

I will say this - there was a little stretch where he got run and he looked really, really good. Showed the ability to get shots off easily and outside shooting looked improved as well. Just looked so comfortable, and oozed potential.

Hoping he gets traded as Rozier Ball is a great backcourt. Hornets are a really fun team to watch, it’s too bad Borrego Has such a hard on for vets.
They are not loaded in the back court. They are a barely a .500 NBA team. Bouk is better than most of the stuff on the Hornets.

Reaction Score
They are not loaded in the back court. They are a barely a .500 NBA team. Bouk is better than most of the stuff on the Hornets.
This. It's not like they're contenders or anything. didn't they have a ridiculous losing streak recently? Bouk showed potential but you're not trading LaMelo and they seem happy to be mediocre with Rozier as the backcourt. Kid should be traded instead of being held hostage.

Reaction Score
This. It's not like they're contenders or anything. didn't they have a ridiculous losing streak recently? Bouk showed potential but you're not trading LaMelo and they seem happy to be mediocre with Rozier as the backcourt. Kid should be traded instead of being held hostage.
He’s not even on the active roster for games right now. Something else is going on besides coach not wanting to give a rookie playing time. It’s strange.

Reaction Score
For those here who are actually fans of Bouk:

He had a good showing for the Swarm tonight in a win against the Lakeland Magic. 17 points on 50% shooting, 6 rebounds, 7 assists (1 turnover), a block, and 2 steals. Also a team high +/- of +24.

Super well rounded stat line and i’m happy to see him facilitating the ball well. Glad he’s back out there after almost a month of not playing.

Reaction Score
For those here who are actually fans of Bouk:

He had a good showing for the Swarm tonight in a win against the Lakeland Magic. 17 points on 50% shooting, 6 rebounds, 7 assists (1 turnover), a block, and 2 steals. Also a team high +/- of +24.

Super well rounded stat line and i’m happy to see him facilitating the ball well. Glad he’s back out there after almost a month of not playing.
Wow that’s good. At least he’s playing again

Reaction Score
You are only young once. Bouknight should not have left early to go to the NBA. He would have had a great year this year and been drafted afterwards. And at that point he would still be leaving early. He missed out on a great junior year at UConn with a better team around him to sit on the bench in Charlotte.

Reaction Score
Hornets lost to the Knicks yep don’t need Bouknight.

Reaction Score
You are only young once. Bouknight should not have left early to go to the NBA. He would have had a great year this year and been drafted afterwards. And at that point he would still be leaving early. He missed out on a great junior year at UConn with a better team around him to sit on the bench in Charlotte.
He would have had just as much of a chance of going to a team like Charlotte and being glued to the bench if he had returned and been drafted after his junior year.

Reaction Score
played in the g-league last night and helped the greensboro swarm end a 15-game losing streak. take a look at this stat line:

17 points (50% shooting) with 6 rebounds, 7 assists (1 to), 2 steals, and a block.

someone get this guy some nba minutes.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I watched the 4th quarter of the Swarm game last night, and you can just tell that Bouk does not belong there. He was very clearly the most talented player on the floor. It's criminal what Borrego and the Hornets are doing to him.

Reaction Score
I watched the 4th quarter of the Swarm game last night, and you can just tell that Bouk does not belong there. He was very clearly the most talented player on the floor. It's criminal what Borrego and the Hornets are doing to him.
And the solution to his problem is.....?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
No matter how much raw talent one has you are not going anywhere without hard work. High school stars have a wake up in college and sometimes their raw talent alone can carry them at that level to a degree (like making your own shot, foot speed, leaping ability etc.). As you go up the ladder though and are exposed to very talented and character developed (grown up) individuals who continue to be "all in" for self-development. James B is undoubtedly talented. It is going to be up to him to now prove that he has the character as well as the talent to persevere through all these seemingly bad breaks in college and the NBA. I'm sure we all wish him the best at that level and in life. Sometimes being in difficult situations (crucibles) in life brings out the best because they can be wake up moments. Nothing more that we wish for than him soaring above the rim with thunderous dunks. Grab those opportunities James and make them the turning points every day.

Reaction Score
And make $4M

Reaction Score
And make $4M
This is it. Any argument saying he should have stayed for his financial future cannot be rationally made, in my opinion. The risk that something could happen in that "extra" college year that would render his basketball earning potential zero or close to zero is just too damn high. A $4 million dollar salary is enough to be set for life after just that season. (Granted, few 20-year-olds have the knowledge and discipline to make that happen, but the fact remains that the first year's salary alone is life changing.) There is a point where the risk-reward calculation points to staying at school. Should a sophomore leave if he's guaranteed to make $200k in his next year? Heck no. $1 million? Depends if he can improve his stock and future earnings by staying. $2 million? He or she should probably leave. $4 million? GTHO.

Remember, even if he is an absolute bust in his pro career, he will still earn that initial huge paycheck, then probably very decent paychecks until he decides to move on from playing.

There are a hundred other reasons that it makes no sense to argue that Bouk should have stayed, but the financial risk-reward argument is pretty black and white to me. Even if you convince me that staying another year could net him an extra $50 million over the course of his career, I still say it's not worth the risk. Furthermore, while I am not against anyone maximizing his or her earnings, I ask what is the difference when one lies on one's deathbed having earned $75 million vs. $125 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom