Bouknight Suspension | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bouknight Suspension

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
About what was expected. No surprise at all. Missing Florida gives UConn cover for those morons who think they are going too easy on him. Bringing him back right before Florida could make it look superficial and unserious. Sets the right tone.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Missing Florida gives UConn cover for those morons who think they are going too easy on him

The moron moniker is unneeded. The kid did things that some others who may have done the same or even less paid more than AR and 3 basketball games (like jobs and careers). I am happy for him but I fully understand that others may feel this is too light.
Some only care about the Ws and Ls no matter the circumstances- those who feel that way in cases like this should wear that label

Reaction Score
Best case scenario. Misses a big Florida game, so the punishment actually means something, but we can still be full strength for Charleston.

Yeah but he's not full strength, he's behind from not playing. Could take a few games or more to get back in rhythm and shake the rust off.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If if the kid is half as impactful as some people think he will be right from the get go, great. He apparently changes our chances against a Florida dramatically. I hope our pretty veteran team isn’t that dependent on him. He’s seems talented but most of our great players needed some time to adjust.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Missing Florida gives UConn cover for those morons who think they are going too easy on him

The moron moniker is unneeded. The kid did things that some others who may have done the same or even less paid more than AR and 3 basketball games (like jobs and careers). I am happy for him but I fully understand that others may feel this is too light.
Some only care about the Ws and Ls no matter the circumstances- those who feel that way in cases like this should wear that label

It was my moniker and I stand by it. He's a kid who made a mistake and is paying a heavy price in loss of reputation and trust from the people who's opinion he values. He has been publicly humiliated. That is the real punishment here. Holding him out of games doesn't do anything further to punish him, it just punishes UConn. It's a pointless move done for appearances sake. And yes, I'd say the same for any non athlete. I'm not in the "only care about W & Ls" category at all. I care about the players, and suspending him for a longer period of kicking him out of UConn would be the wrong thing to do for him.

Reaction Score
In the sense that some people were calling for much longer suspensions and even expulsion (which I never thought was rational or likely, this result is about what I thought would happen), it is a win. Bouk misses the first couple games of the season including a marquee one. But then there's still 90% of the season for him to partake in. He'll still have ample chance to play, improve, and leave his mark. And I don't think he'd single-handedly be changing the course of our season in how he might impact the results of these three games. We'll more likely than not be 2-1 (hopefully 3-0) with or without him. And if it's a close loss to Florida where he might've actually been a difference, that's still just a loss to a top-ten team in the country that won't hurt our résumé. And he'll have 27 or more chances to impact our season in those contests.
Sure, in the context of a few vocal morons who thought the kid should be punished significantly longer it's a win. But he was never going to get a lengthy suspension for a relatively minor violation.

And before you holier than thou posters (not you @UConNick ) say this was not "minor", consider the fact that the AR program was specifically created for minor issues. We can talk all day about what "could" have happened, but he was never going to be punished for things that didn't happen.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I'm not one for name-calling but there were a lot of calls for harsher penalties based on what-ifs and speculation.

A person I know very well was caught twice in four years (2 1/2 actually, this person turned 21 over Winter Break after their 5th semester) in the late 90's for underage drinking in a common area. This person was given probation both times and had to serve a weekend overnight assisting in the infirmary should someone come in after imbibing too much.

Those were certainly not the only times that person raised a beer can to their lips prior to being 21, but if the RA and/or RD based their punishment on "what-ifs," they'd be kicked out of the dorms.

pj

Reaction Score
He's a kid who made a mistake and is paying a heavy price in loss of reputation and trust from the people who's opinion he values. He has been publicly humiliated. That is the real punishment here. Holding him out of games doesn't do anything further to punish him, it just punishes UConn. It's a pointless move done for appearances sake.

Hardly a pointless move. Holding him out is the public display that he did wrong, that he acknowledges it and the team acknowledges it, and that he is being punished appropriately. This public display is what enables everyone to close the book on the whole episode, forgive him, and move on. If it was swept under the rug, then the public could rightly think he got away with misbehavior, and that the parties involved were corrupt and dishonest. The episode might then stain his reputation for years.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hardly a pointless move. Holding him out is the public display that he did wrong, that he acknowledges it and the team acknowledges it, and that he is being punished appropriately. This public display is what enables everyone to close the book on the whole episode, forgive him, and move on. If it was swept under the rug, then the public could rightly think he got away with misbehavior, and that the parties involved were corrupt and dishonest. The episode might then stain his reputation for years.

That's why I said the time of the suspension was appropriate. To be clear I meant holding him out of more games is pointless (which I said in an earlier post). Wasn't clear in what I wrote. I thought him missing Florida was important to send the message that we weren't prioritizing his return for a big game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Didn't Serious Lipstick open for Kiss back in the day?

No idea if they exist, but that def is a great name for a band.

Reaction Score

I think many were of the opinion that his punishment should be proportional with what other college basketball players would get at other division 1 universities for a similar crime. Nothing less, nothing more. Like it or not it's a big business. It serves no purpose to suspend someone for a whole semester when your competition would do otherwise. Puts you at a competitive disadvantage. It's not an either or. We could care about wins and losses( it's a college basketball message board after all) and also want the players to be held accountable for their actions. I mean non basketball players dont have the horde writing counless articles for the public to read about your worst life moment. It was on the ESPN news crawl as well.

Reaction Score
JB should get whatever punishment any other student would get. Unfortunately he is a basketball player and games get involved.
Am going to game tonight and am disappointed JB won't be playing. I'm sure he will learn from this.
JB play the rest of the season with an edge and be even greater than you otherwise would. UCONN Nation is behind you. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
I declare @UConNick today's winner of the @UConnDan97 award for most optimistic poster.

View attachment 47854
Haha I'll accept it, but I'm not out here predicting undefeated seasons for a team that Hand could play close.

On a serious note, my fandom is always about trying to balance optimism with reality. Without hope that things will get better, there's no point in being a fan of anything. Without a foothold in reality, you look like an idiot.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Haha I'll accept it, but I'm not out here predicting undefeated seasons for a team that Hand could play close.

On a serious note, my fandom is always about trying to balance optimism with reality. Without hope that things will get better, there's no point in being a fan of anything. Without a foothold in reality, you look like an idiot.
The problem is reality is subjective so it’s impossible to be considered grounded in reality by everyone. It is idiocy to believe otherwise.

Reaction Score
Because I said last night that the punishment was a slap on the wrist, and stated facts of the incident, my post was deleted.....

Reaction Score
Because I said last night that the punishment was a slap on the wrist, and stated facts of the incident, my post was deleted.....
This one will probably be deleted too. It's against the board rules to complain about posts being deleted. Unfortunately the Boneyard is not subject to the Bill of Rights.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hope Bouk is fired up and wants to make a statement when he comes back. He's an awfully nice piece to add.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom