Bouknight last nite | The Boneyard

Bouknight last nite

Reaction Score
Have not been here for quite awhile. Bouknight appeared to be on the floor most of the night on the offensive end. Why? Not talking about his drives, talking about when he had the ball and dribbling. Is it his spindly legs? Anyone in Div one that can shoot is a great scorer when open, but driving and putting the ball on the floor is a different story. He could not create and was on the floor more than I expected.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
car slamming GIF

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Still feeling the affects of Thursday. Noticeably less spring in his step and burst in his drive. Needed someone else to step up.

Sanogo was dominating but spent too much time in foul trouble, Cole got hurt, Polley and Martin couldn't score, Jackson and Gaffney were non factors.

We scored 56, if you were to script how we should lose it would be this. I thought it was a great effort from everyone, just not our night.

Main criticism is with Dan, he made wholesale hockey line substitutions and the 2nd squad couldn't protect the leads.

At.one point he had Whaley, Carlton, Polley, Jackson and Gaffney on the court at the same time for a good 3 minutes. Can't have that. It's a recipe for empty possessions, which is exactly what happend.

Reaction Score
Bouk was not 100%.

Did you see he play where he took the ball away from the Creighton big dribbled down the floor and there was one defender under the basket? Usually that defender is defenseless against Bouk. He fakes one way, goes another, than out leaps or goes around the guy. But that guy just basically stood there and blocked Bouk's shot out of bounds.

That was not the Bouk I watched all season. Two nights ago he was severely dehydrated and suffering from debilitating cramps. He needed IV's and rest. He got the IVs. But wasn't anywhere near his full athletic self. I'm sure he didn't make any excuses and said he was fine. But he was a diminished player.

Reaction Score
Understand as a UConn men’s fan I would give him the benefit of the doubt. But seriously check out his legs. They are spindly. Check out NBA players legs. They are like a baseball pitchers legs. You need some size to them to keep your balance. Hope this kid stays one more year to develop himself physically. Seen some very tall excellent college players not make it at the next lever because they had no lower body strength. Bouknight is too thin in his lower extremity. Gets pushed around. Can’t stay upright with people guarding him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bouk was not 100%.

Did you see he play where he took the ball away from the Creighton big dribbled down the floor and there was one defender under the basket? Usually that defender is defenseless against Bouk. He fakes one way, goes another, than out leaps or goes around the guy. But that guy just basically stood there and blocked Bouk's shot out of bounds.

That was not the Bouk I watched all season. Two nights ago he was severely dehydrated and suffering from debilitating cramps. He needed IV's and rest. He got the IVs. But wasn't anywhere near his full athletic self. I'm sure he didn't make any excuses and said he was fine. But he was a diminished player.
I disagree. This is 100% who and what Bouk is right now. He simply doesn't have the physical constitution or fortitude to withstand the rigors of even an abbreviated college basketball season like this one, much less a normal season; or much, much less an NBA season. His body is just not ready; not sure whether his head is, either, but the next couple (I hope!) weeks could go a long way to developing him in that respect.

I am not suggesting that he will or should stay another year because the conventional wisdom is that he is likely to be a lottery pick, and honestly if I was one of his family members I would be like Marcee Tidwell watching every game. But he is a sophomore who has played less than a season and a half of college basketball, and exactly two post season games. He has a lot of seasoning yet to come before we see anything close to the finished product.

Reaction Score
I disagree. This is 100% who and what Bouk is right now. He simply doesn't have the physical constitution or fortitude to withstand the rigors of even an abbreviated college basketball season like this one, much less a normal season; or much, much less an NBA season. His body is just not ready; not sure whether his head is, either, but the next couple (I hope!) weeks could go a long way to developing him in that respect.

I am not suggesting that he will or should stay another year because the conventional wisdom is that he is likely to be a lottery pick, and honestly if I was one of his family members I would be like Marcee Tidwell watching every game. But he is a sophomore who has played less than a season and a half of college basketball, and exactly two post season games. He has a lot of seasoning yet to come before we see anything close to the finished product.
I think u agree and disagree with me. Both are fine. He needs a great deal of physical work. Upper n lower but his lower will be what might set him back.

Reaction Score
The reality is that great offensive players like Bouk are fouled on most plays. He hasn't mastered the art of body language to either show his defender they are not "getting in his head" on D or to the refs because of his facial expressions on every bit of contact made on him. Life (BB) is not fair.

You don't think MJ was fouled on most plays over his career? Can't rely on the refs making the calls to get you to the FT line. Have to play through contact.

Bouk's next challenge.

Reaction Score
There are so many “great” high school players. There are many “very good” college players. Bouknight can’t just be great when open. And please tell him to stop falling down and stop making faces!

Reaction Score
Bouk looked pretty light headed I think the NCAA schedule suits him better. If Bouk leaves for the draft he might need a year in the D league, especially if his stock falls a little.

Reaction Score
Still feeling the affects of Thursday. Noticeably less spring in his step and burst in his drive. Needed someone else to step up.

Sanogo was dominating but spent too much time in foul trouble, Cole got hurt, Polley and Martin couldn't score, Jackson and Gaffney were non factors.

We scored 56, if you were to script how we should lose it would be this. I thought it was a great effort from everyone, just not our night.

Main criticism is with Dan, he made wholesale hockey line substitutions and the 2nd squad couldn't protect the leads.

At.one point he had Whaley, Carlton, Polley, Jackson and Gaffney on the court at the same time for a good 3 minutes. Can't have that. It's a recipe for empty possessions, which is exactly what happend.
I 100% agree with your take on this.

Reaction Score
Some of the blame for Bouknight’s body breaking down in a blow out win vs DePaul needs to be placed at the feet of Dan Hurley. Yes, these kids have all done the AAU circuit where they’re playing as many as multiple games for days on end, but losing your best player amidst a blowout is akin to losing your stud pitcher once the team gets up by 15 runs.

Reaction Score
Bouk was not 100%.

I agree with this. Bouk wasn't 100% and could use the extra time off. Last night the other guys weren't able to pick up the slack. Primarily Cole and to some extent Martin on offense even though he's a beast on the boards. But we're not dead yet. Get rested and ready and give us an overrated P5 poser and we're back in business.

Reaction Score
He is a really excellent player. Probably going to be a first round pick. That said he IS kind of skinny and he does get knocked around a lot. Plus his handle is a bit suspect I think. He lost a couple of balls last night and he does it pretty regularly. It gets overlooked when he scores 24. 10 years ago he would have been advised to stay another year to build up his strength and to a extent address a few weaknesses in his game. But that isn’t how the NBA works anymore.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bouk has unbelievable natural talent and does things with the basketball that are outstanding. I believe he possesses the talent to play at the next level based on what he can do best which is score the ball.
I am concerned with his physical makeup as well as his mental approach to the game itself.
Physically he is right now what he is. He is very fragile and he lacks the muscle mass to compete with men. He is in caught in that between area where he is still experiencing growth and he can’t start adding too much weight because his speed and agility is what makes his game work. In my opinion he is at least 18 months from being NBA ready physically. I am concerned about his cramping. He didn’t suffer leg injuries and should have been able to keep his legs game ready during his injury downtime. He will be able to reconstruct his physique appropriately over time but it will take time. There is absolutely no way Bouk steps into a NBA camp in the next few months and lasts without suffering another injury due to his body.
His mental fortitude showed up last night. The kid looked so tentative and hesitant. This had a huge impact on his handle and ability to score. Some feel he may be feeling the effects of his cramps. He is supposed to be a lottery pick, the best player on his team and one of the best in the league. Those type of players play through pain and give 100% while they are on the floor. They lead the team, they want the ball and they demand it. He did neither. He was sulking at times and had to be brought back into focus by the coaches. I did not like what I saw but again he is young, maybe too young to take on that role. I don’t know him at all, COVID has taken fans away from games and chances to interact with players. I do know that under those bright lights in MSG, given the exact circumstances, at the same tenure, kids like Rip, Kamba, Bazz, Ben Gordon, Okafor, Ray, Corny, Tony etc would have reacted differently. Maybe I’m wrong but my heart feels otherwise,
Nothing negative meant towards Bouk at all. He is one of the most talented kids ever at UConn but in my opinion he is not ready for the NBA. I am not saying whether he should go or not - that’s up to him. I wish him the best but cannot speak of him being a truly great Husky - yet.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The reality is that great offensive players like Bouk are fouled on most plays. He hasn't mastered the art of body language to either show his defender they are not "getting in his head" on D or to the refs because of his facial expressions on every bit of contact made on him. Life (BB) is not fair.

You don't think MJ was fouled on most plays over his career? Can't rely on the refs making the calls to get you to the FT line. Have to play through contact.

Bouk's next challenge.
How about the effect of his body language on his teamates?

Reaction Score
Let's see what he does next week before closing the book on Bouk. He has another week to get ready if he was dragging last night. If he comes up small next week I think the critique is fair. My own opinion is that I just don't think he's experienced and mature enough to take a team on his back and lead them. Very good piece, yes. But not an alpha dog.

Reaction Score
Bouk draft stock might have taken a hit. He could be a 10 minute per game player or a d league guy for an NBA team picking between 15-25 ish range. The thing is if teams don’t have patience, you don’t impress for one of those teams right away they are looking to move on from you and find your replacement, at that point you are one of those guys who is recycled going from team to team. It’s the risk you take when going pro.

Bouk returns you got a title contending team a year of experience in the big East a year of Jackson and Sanogo and a talented freshman class so you don’t have to be great every night. You have a proper year in the big East with full crowds. You have a coach who will fight for you. Of course I’m biased, it’s not our decision.

Let’s so how Bouk finishes this year then revisit his draft stock.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He goes to the NBA after the season. I would love another year with him at UConn but it isn't going to happen

Reaction Score
Some of y’all are way too negative on here. Don’t get me wrong, constructive criticism and debate is always okay. I’m here for that. But every single time we lose a game people are on here saying Bouknight isn’t ready and is just absolutely pounding the kid.

This is a kid that literally changed the entire makeup of UConn basketball and helped us get our national recognition back and is literally paving the way for the future of the program. Did he have a great game last night, nope, but he’s like 20 years old give the kid a break. Bouk is still considered a lottery pick and he has incredible natural talent. It’s hard for him to play his game when he is getting doubled/tripled on every possession. And the injury doesn’t help either.

Look at the other kids in the draft class. Every single one of them has bad games. No one expects 20 year olds to be perfect every game and yes he still has a lot of learning to do on and off the court. But damn can we stop crucifying ALL of our players every time we lose. It’s embarrassing as hell.

Reaction Score
Mohammed Bamba is now being called a bust btw this how quickly it could turn in the NBA.

Reaction Score
gtcam got it right IMO. I love Bouknight and I'm really, really glad he's a Huskie. But there has to be some concerns about him personally. Anxious to see how this turns out.
Great thread by the way. Some sound insights.

Reaction Score
Let's see what he does next week before closing the book on Bouk. He has another week to get ready if he was dragging last night. If he comes up small next week I think the critique is fair. My own opinion is that I just don't think he's experienced and mature enough to take a team on his back and lead them. Very good piece, yes. But not an alpha dog.
Not an alpha dog yet. If he comes back another year then yes. Caron Butler was a beast his Sophomore year and in the tournament. The way Bouknight approaches games is similar to Rudy Gay who was ultra talented and impactful in spots but did not impose his will on the game. It just wasn’t in him. It didn’t really happen for Kemba until his Junior year. I hope he comes back for one more year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom