Bouk #14 on The Athletic's best guards list | The Boneyard

Bouk #14 on The Athletic's best guards list

Reaction Score

14. James Bouknight, 6-foot-5 sophomore, Connecticut

Bouknight is a guy a lot of basketball people believe is in for a breakout season. A coach in the AAC had this to say about him: “Love him! So shifty and has such awesome change of pace.” Bouknight can run off screens and score from three levels, and the biggest reason he oozes potential is his ability to make plays off the bounce at 6-5. I’m not sure I’m a believer in his jump shot, which he needs to improve to take the next step, but he’s a guy NBA people will be watching closely this year, because he could be a really gifted scorer if he puts it all together.

Reaction Score
You can find the top 20 Big/Wings articles here if you have a subscription.

Reaction Score
You can find the top 20 Big/Wings articles here if you have a subscription.

I've read a lot about Austin Peay's Terry Taylor, but have yet to see them play and will have to check him out this season. Their 12/7 conference game against Murray State will be one I'll try to catch.

Reaction Score

Bouknight is a guy a lot of basketball people believe is in for a breakout season. A coach in the AAC had this to say about him: “Love him! So shifty and has such awesome change of pace.” Bouknight can run off screens and score from three levels, and the biggest reason he oozes potential is his ability to make plays off the bounce at 6-5. I’m not sure I’m a believer in his jump shot, which he needs to improve to take the next step, but he’s a guy NBA people will be watching closely this year, because he could be a really gifted scorer if he puts it all together.
No way are there 13 guards better than Bouknight.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Maybe I’m biased but I’m a huge believer in Bouknight’s jump shot.
46/35/82 as a freshman, sure to increase this season. Form looks good, seems to maybe palm it a bit, but he has all the makings to be an above average jumpshooter.

Reaction Score
No way are there 13 guards better than Bouknight.

Agreed. Even without my Blue-tinted goggles, I would say that Bouk *should* be above

#13 Mckinley Wright from Colorado
definitely #12 Caleb Mills out of Houston. The kid wasn't even that good? He shot well under 40% from the field...
#11 Mitch Ballock
#10 Davion Mitchell
#9 AJ Green--hard to say, but NORTHERN IOWA, c'mon.
#5 Marcus Garret-- are you kidding me? Talk about a Kansas bump. The kid can't shoot and average less than 10 points a game. Please. Nice defender though.

so, I guess I'm probably putting Bouk somewhere between #8 and #10. Seems fair--a bunch of these guys are upperclassmen who you can expect to be better than Bouk at the college level. I'm assuming this list isn't about potential

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m biased but I’m a huge believer in Bouknight’s jump shot.
46/35/82 as a freshman, sure to increase this season. Form looks good, seems to maybe palm it a bit, but he has all the makings to be an above average jumpshooter.
Totally agree, the problem for me was consistency. There were games where he was 0-4 from deep. 2 areas for improvement would be more consistent with his jumper, and better defense with that I can see him being a lotto pick

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Lol at that list. Can't wait for the season to just start already.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

"shifty" and "change of pace" are, aside from shooting, the most important things for a guard to be good. And the reason I say this is because a) it's maybe his biggest attribute, and b) I think it's often overlooked.

People look at straight away athleticism, speed, strength ... all important, but for guards, shiftiness and craftiness and changing pace is so much more important, IMO.

Reaction Score

He has a great jumpshot

Reaction Score
He has a great jumpshot

Absolutely. He shot 35% as a freshman. And 38% on 5 attempts per game over the last 10 games. The kids is a legit shooter no matter how you slice it. Those weren't easy attempts either.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Those weren't easy attempts either.
This. I've said this before but I expect that Cole and Gaffney's vision, playmaking, passing and savviness are going to make everyone "a better shooter" this year.

Reaction Score
Totally agree, the problem for me was consistency. There were games where he was 0-4 from deep.

Not how statistics work. If you take 4 triples a game, you will have days where you're 0-4 and you will have days where you're 3-4. It's just how standard deviations work in small sample sizes.

Reaction Score

So Dickie has him somewhere around top 10-12ish guard in the country since some of those wings are probably more guard-ish. I think that's fair considering the upperclassmen involved that don't have an NBA future. Seems like he's more in line with what the 'Yard is thinking.

Reaction Score
The Athletic may think he's the 14th best guard but this mock draft predicts he's going 10th overall in next year's NBA draft. Don't think I've seen any other mock drafts with him this high.

10. JAMES BOUKNIGHT, SG, CONNECTICUT
Bossi’s take: Finally, somebody who has been in college for more than a year. Who knows, maybe I’m going out on a limb here but I’m fully confident that Bouknight is about to explode this season. He has a good-looking jumper, he can put it on the floor and there aren’t many two guards capable of playing as far above the rim as he can. He’s just scratching at the surface of his potential.

Reaction Score
Bouknight scores in more ways than any guard out there. His freshman highlight video would show him scoring in every way imaginable. Dunks, 3s, midrange, reverse layups...heck he even dunked one of his own misses.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Even without my Blue-tinted goggles, I would say that Bouk *should* be above

definitely #12 Caleb Mills out of Houston. The kid wasn't even that good? He shot well under 40% from the field...
#11 Mitch Ballock
#10 Davion Mitchell
#5 Marcus Garret-- are you kidding me? Talk about a Kansas bump. The kid can't shoot and average less than 10 points a game. Please. Nice defender though.

so, I guess I'm probably putting Bouk somewhere between #8 and #10. Seems fair--a bunch of these guys are upperclassmen who you can expect to be better than Bouk at the college level. I'm assuming this list isn't about potential

I really don’t get Mills ahead of Bouknight. Mills was a nice find who played way above his ranking. He’s not an elite college basketball player, though.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Mills didn’t even start for Houston much of the year. Plays too loose always taking bad shots(very active defender tho). Having him above Bouknight is absurd.

Reaction Score
This is why I love being a UConn fan, we know our players and hopefully have an idea how good they are versus other NCAA players.. JB is q star!! Keep it together Mr Sophomore, and world is yours.

If Jeremy Lamb is an almost star, you have the ability to be a total star..

GO CELTICS.

High ceiling and $ to come to him. Cheers.

Reaction Score

#11 Mitch Ballock
#10 Davion Mitchell

I would rank AJ Green over Bouknight. Northern Iowa was #23 in the country last year in AdjO per KenPom. I follow the mid majors. Green may turn out to be the best pure shooter in the country this year. Bouknight comes packaged in a nice shiny bright box with a potential Harry Winston inside. Potential being the operative word. We shall see...

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
JB was snubbed again in ESPN+ list of top 25 players in college basketball. Not included in the list. Morons, I tell you, morons!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom