Boston Viewing for Second Round | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boston Viewing for Second Round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Greatest Bar is great with the big screen. They bumped the duke game for us yesterday. Last year there had to be 500+ and at least 2-3 hundred were turned away. I just had Guinness yesterday so I forget the selection, but I don't go to sports bars for their beer selection anyway. Give me a bar seat, alcohol, volume, a few bros to slap high five with and big screen right smack in my face and that's all I need to watch my boys.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I am most likely going to the Greatest Bar tomorrow night. Might not be my favorite place but the atmosphere is great when everyone is there. And I usually don't drink fancy beer when I'm watching the huskies.

Reaction Score
I did the 2011 Final Four win over Kentucky at Yard House @ Legacy Place so good mojo there.

I won't be able to get into Boston, but would definitely pick the Cask over Greatest if I could, just a better bar.

C

Chief00

He suggested Southie bars and then mentioned Roxbury, Dorchester and Quincy....two of which are not places people should casually consider going.

As a former Southie resident, there aren't any great sports bars for UConn fans. The problem in Boston is always the same, if the Bruins or Celtics are playing, they are what is on TV. Hell, BC hockey would bump the tournament. So you can't trust that you'll see the game at most bars.

Greatest Bar may be the best bet, even though I don't like the place and their beer selection sucks. I'm sure the KU alumni association will email me their Boston watch site, if you guys want to know.

I won't comment on your post other than to say - I never had a problem in those neighborhoods. You may want to look at yourself and why people don't welcome you.

And for the geniuses who commented on my knowledge of geography - the name of the thread was BOSTON viewing - which has nothing to do with the Cape. I recognized a couple people went off on that tangent but I was to the point.

Reaction Score
I won't comment on your post other than to say - I never had a problem in those neighborhoods. You may want to look at yourself and why people don't welcome you.

And for the geniuses who commented on my knowledge of geography - the name of the thread was BOSTON viewing - which has nothing to do with the Cape. I recognized a couple people went off on that tangent but I was to the point.
I lived in Dorchester. There are places maybe you don't want to go, but it was largely not as bad as some make it out to be. Same with Roxbury.

Frankly, parts of Southie scare me more. I was there and watched some dude run out of a bar, jump onto the hood of a car, and kick the windshield in...only to realize is was his own car and freak out. That type of unpredictability scares me more than anything on Dot Ave or Dudley.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I've never been made unwelcome in either neighborhood. Then again, I've really only been to Roxbury for Jury duty. Dorchester I've spent some time in, never had a problem. I just said they are places you don't travel to casually, without knowing what you are doing or where you are going.

Reaction Score
McGreeveys on Boylston advertising the game on a board outside today("Come watch Uconn vs Kansas tonight at 7:45"), so I walked in and asked if they'd have the sound on and was met with a resounding "No". Looks like greatest bar is the only option.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Greatest Bar will have half priced apps if you are wearing husky gear. At least that is what the Boston Facebook page says

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
McGreeveys on Boylston advertising the game on a board outside today("Come watch Uconn vs Kansas tonight at 7:45"), so I walked in and asked if they'd have the sound on and was met with a resounding "No". Looks like greatest bar is the only option.

Yep. I asked the GM last night (he's a friend of mine). He said maybe he'd do it downstairs, but it's real tough on Saturday night at that time. Bartenders want music to make money.

With decent wings, it's watchable there, but not ideal. They have a turkey club. As a bonus, there's Rolling Rock bottles next door at Pourhouse for a quick pregame Mojo boost.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'd do Cask as a fall back. Whiskey's isn't bad if they have the sound on. @DaveHuskiesFan let us know the status on that.

I'm not doing Greatest myself.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'm probably gonna hit Whiskey's on Boylston. Gonna call ahead to see if they'll put the sound on.
Whiskey's is great but can the bar area can turn into a zoo real quick. Personally I think Cask n Flagon has the most TVs and open space which is ideal for things like this on a Saturday night when people are out for reasons other than watching March madness.

Reaction Score
I'd do Cask as a fall back. Whiskey's isn't bad if they have the sound on. @DaveHuskiesFan let us know the status on that.

I'm not doing Greatest myself.

Gave whiskeys a call, they said nope, only turn sound on for Pats games. I'm really looking for something in the back Bay Area.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Gave whiskeys a call, they said nope, only turn sound on for Pats games. I'm really looking for something in the back Bay Area.

Normally, I could get the sound on at McGreevy's, but combination of Sat night and a DropKick show at HoB (lead singer is part owner of McG's), probably kills that. Plus, a good friend is bartending downstairs, and she's like, "no way! I want my money!" hahaha

Reaction Score
Normally, I could get the sound on at McGreevy's, but combination of Sat night and a DropKick show at HoB (lead singer is part owner of McG's), probably kills that. Plus, a good friend is bartending downstairs, and she's like, "no way! I want my money!" hahaha

Yeah definitely understand that for sure. Probably not going to make it to Greatest bar but let me know if you have any luck any where else.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah definitely understand that for sure. Probably not going to make it to Greatest bar but let me know if you have any luck any where else.

OK, because we'll probably fart around until game time, and because I don't want to, I might just do Cask&Flagon if @tzznandrew is up for it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What time are people going to get there? Aim for 7:15?

Sounds about right. Just got to make sure we got a seat. Try to estimate numbers I suppose. I might stop in early and see if I can reserve if I have an idea of how many. Looks to be only a few atm.

Reaction Score
If you're going to Greatest Bar be wary of a couple of things - there's the Hockey East Tournament championship tonight at 7:00 and groups of Northeastern and/or Lowell fans may congregate there before or during the game to watch. Also, there's a Bruins game at 10-ish so you might run into some people coming for that, in addition to the usual yahoos and idiots who go to North Station bars on weekend nights because YA BRO. I'd recommend getting there early and parking a spot unless the alumni association has reserved a spot.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
We have several friends who live in Dorchester and I've made lots of visits over the years. There are unfortunately a good number of shady people on the streets on major roadways like Dot Ave, sometimes in the middle of the day. I think it is better know than when I first moved to the area, but not a place I'd want to raise a family and not a great place to take a walk at night either.
Here are the Boston murders by neighborhood. Stereotyped or not, #1 and #2 are R&D.
http://www.universalhub.com/crime/murder/2015?order=city&sort=asc

Reaction Score
We have several friends who live in Dorchester and I've made lots of visits over the years. There are unfortunately a good number of shady people on the streets on major roadways like Dot Ave, sometimes in the middle of the day. I think it is better know than when I first moved to the area, but not a place I'd want to raise a family and not a great place to take a walk at night either.
Here are the Boston murders by neighborhood. Stereotyped or not, #1 and #2 are R&D.
http://www.universalhub.com/crime/murder/2015?order=city&sort=asc
I used to work at Boston Latin Academy in Dorchester. The building took up an entire city block. In my 3 years at that job there was a shooting on each of the 4 cross streets. Couldn't tell you how many times we went into lockdown.

I used to live in Roxbury. I once walked out of my apartment and found that I was behind police tape. I literally step onto my front porch and it's just me and a cop standing behind the yellow tape and a group of onlookers on the other side.

Couldn't get out of that area fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom