Boston College DC Don Brown will be Michigan's new DC per source (SI) | The Boneyard

Boston College DC Don Brown will be Michigan's new DC per source (SI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I dumped this into the Coaching Carousel Thread then figured it should get it's own thread for comedic value.

Reaction Score
Brown read the tea leaves here and bailed...IMHO he is doing the same thing at BC..in addition to making himself more marketable as a HC candidate down the road.

Reaction Score
FDNY99 said:
Brown read the tea leaves here and bailed...IMHO he is doing the same thing at BC..in addition to making himself more marketable as a HC candidate down the road.

Isn't he pushing 60?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
EXCELLENT news for our 2016 matchup. The year after Brown, our defense struggled mightily.

Reaction Score
He is an excellent DC. No idea how he would be as a HC, or if he would even be interested, but as a DC, he is a really really good one.

Good for him.

Reaction Score
ibleedhuskyblue said:
He is an excellent DC. No idea how he would be as a HC, or if he would even be interested, but as a DC, he is a really really good one. Good for him.

He was an outstanding 1-AA head coach, and I think he'd do well in FBS. Just not sure he wants to do that at his age.

Reaction Score
Palatine said:
Is Michigan closer to Worcester? So he can be even closer to his grand kids?

Another asinine comment from you. You are smart enough to know that statement was just a cover because Brown is too classy to publicly state that he couldn't stand dealing with P and GDL.

Reaction Score
Rather than join in the snark, how about giving kudos to Brown. The fact that Harbaugh would choose him over several other top defensive guys says a lot to me. I want all our UConn alums to do well. Orlando, Brown, Morehead, Ambrose, Edsall. The only exception is PP.

Reaction Score
I don't see Brown as having Head Coach aspirations now at his age however ( 60). This is a great opportunity for the former BC Defensive Coordinator ( and Connecticut Huskies Defensive Coach ) to get himself a piece of a National Title as an Assistant Coach ( something Addazio has accomplished as an Assistant Coach at Florida ). I wish Don Brown well. He deserves this career shot at a School like Michigan that has legitimate national championship aspirations. What he did on Defense for BC these last few years was nothing less than phenomenal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't see Brown as having Head Coach aspirations now at his age however ( 60). This is a great opportunity for the former BC Defensive Coordinator ( and Connecticut Huskies Defensive Coach ) to get himself a piece of a National Title as an Assistant Coach ( something Addazio has accomplished as an Assistant Coach at Florida ). I wish Don Brown well. He deserves this career shot at a School like Michigan that has legitimate national championship aspirations. What he did on Defense for BC these last few years was nothing less than phenomenal.
Before he went to BC he almost got the Yale job. Some reports were that he turned it down.

Reaction Score
FDNY99 said:
Before he went to BC he almost got the Yale job. Some reports were that he turned it down.

The players at the time lobbied him hard to turn it down. I have no idea if that had an impact but I know when the rumor came out the D was not happy.

Reaction Score
Don Brown is getting a great salary increase to become the Defensive Coordinator at Michigan too... estimated to be $ 800,000. BC was never going to come close to matching that. Brown lives in Massachusetts, has kids there, and didn't really want to leave New England. But thats a great salary offer, and at a school that has the potential there with their football tradition to potentially compete for a national title there. I can certainly understand why he'd take Michigan's offer to go there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For some fun winter break reading, the Eagle Outsider football forum

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=4

In summary-

Don Brown has correctly read the leaves again and is getting out ahead of the fire.
He is taking his golden ticket earned over years of coordinator positions.
He finally has the athletes to fully implement his schemes.
This isn't good for BCU.

They actually have a decent level of realism of what this means for the present and near future. A smattering of hubris but mostly realism.

Reaction Score
The players at the time lobbied him hard to turn it down. I have no idea if that had an impact but I know when the rumor came out the D was not happy.

Don Brown is a crazy man. Players love him. I don't think the guy could ever be a head coach anywhere high profile with media. Football people love the guy though. Think Bob Diaco is nuts in front of the press in what he says and does? DB would make him look quite sane. Cray cray. Yale would work though. No national press.

Its going to be fun for Michigan players to play D. Good for him.

We got a bowl game to play though. Good for us.

I hope they are practicing and preparing well, coaches and players, and not focused on the bikini's. We play like , when we don't.

Reaction Score
I think Don Brown did a heck of a job at UCONN and BC. What's sometimes overlooked, is that those defenses performed at extraordinary levels with abysmal offenses that left them on the field constantly and often with their backs against the wall in terms of field position.

UCONN's 2012 defense was just terrific and that entire unit was either drafted into the NFL or ended up in a camp. Not sure the talent level Brown had at BC.

The one thing I will say about Brown is his foot is always pushing the pedal all the way down. Sometimes I think he loses sight of situational football. When you are dealing with inept offenses as he was with UCONN and BC, that sin is easily overlooked. That will not be the case at Michigan.

Kids all seem to love him.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's not only that Brown probably couldn't stand former "Coach" Pasqualoni and his left foot man, it was that he had the correct foresight that 2013 was probably the end of the regime, and he would have most likely been given his pink slip as well. He got in on the ground floor with Addazio in a new position. Now that Addazio's seat is getting a bit warm, he is off and up. Good for him.

Reaction Score
I don't have near enough time to follow recruiting, but are any BCU defensive recruits now in play for a decommit?

Athlete/WR KJ Gray decommitted this morning. Was a Don Brown Jersey connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom