Boston Bullies Brink, Belibi | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Boston Bullies Brink, Belibi

Reaction Score
I was speaking to Prechtel's shooting from 3, and not necessarily Brink's. I also didn't intend to suggest that Belibi is a threat from 3, or anywhere not close to the basket. In any case, if Brink's misses during the Louisville game are included in her total, shouldn't Prechtel's makes be included as well? That brings Prechtel's current number to .382 (21/55) and Brink's, as you say, to .379 (11/29). The attempts are, at least in part, a function of minutes played (Brink averages 18.3, Prechtel 13.5), and so perhaps a bit misleading. However, they do suggest that Prechtel shoots and makes a fair number of threes when she is on the court. And the numbers could obviously go up or down in any given game. But, in my view, both percentages are certainly respectable, and better, I believe, than the 3-point percentage of any UCONN player whose first name isn't Paige.
Both are close to 40 per cent, which is the traditional barometer for a good three-point shooter. 4-10 produces 12 points; one needs 6-10 inside the arc to match that.

Reaction Score
Boston is the 2nd best player in college, behind Paige - period. Many are not happy with Dawn's "coaching" this year. Boston should have been much better.
I might concede your point if you added potentially the second best, but there’s no way she was actually the second best player this year! That honor, imo would go to Clark. Just because you could be, even if it is universally acknowledged to be the case, doesn’t make you that unless your play actually shows it. However,I totally agree with you that she has massively (my word) underachieved this season. Is it Dawn’s coaching that is responsible? That is surely part of the reason, at least. Something is wrong when your “generational” post player is having games where she only takes 4 shots and your guards are going 7 for 23, 6 for 22. I just feel sad that, up to now at least, she is not maximizing (or even fulfilling) her enormous potential.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Please everyone do not overlook AZ. This is a one and done scenario and anything can happen as we've all seen through history of college basketball tournaments. Lets not talk about the Finals until we actually get there.
After witnessing Morgan William's shot IN PERSON,
I take NO GAMES for granted anymore! :eek:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've seen Belibi play a lot. I've seen Brink play a little.

I'm open to being persuaded.

Separate, but related question aimed at increasing my general knowledge of Women's college basketball.

Who are all these bigger and bulkier posts than Boston that Brink has been dominating out west?
Miller from UCLA and Pili and Jackson from USC are plenty beefy. I didn't say dominating these players, you did, I merely pointed out she's been able to match up w/ them physically despite giving up quite a bit of weight.

Reaction Score
Don't sleep on Amihere. She has had a good tournament and starting to show why Dawn thinks she will be the best pro out of all the sophomores when it is all said and done.

Reaction Score
Miller from UCLA and Pili and Jackson from USC are plenty beefy. I didn't say dominating these players, you did, I merely pointed out she's been able to match up w/ them physically despite giving up quite a bit of weight.

I'll grant you Jackson is plenty big (bigger than Boston though?), but Pili and Miller don't list any bigger than 6'1. And Jackson is hardly in the same class as a player (7 and 4).

Look, I was not beating my chest about how Boston was definitely going to dominate Brink.

I was saying that Staley would likely go right at her if that was the matchup.

And I expect that Stanford would do the same if that is the matchup South Carolina chose on the other end.

There are a lot of ways that Stanford can help Brink other than making it a pure one on one post battle and I'm sure they will do that.

Reaction Score
Gotta say, I've enjoyed Boston's interviews. Seems like a nice kid.

But to me Boston is an underperformer. She has yet to be integrated in the offense. Yes, the team is immensely talented. But Coach Geno could have achieved so much more with her....

Reaction Score
I think Brink can hold her own if she doesn't get into foul trouble. She's not built like a linebacker but she's a pretty physical player and has length that matches Boston. Boston is very strong but doesn't bulldoze players over or seek out contact the same way a lot of physical posts do so I think the combination of Brink, Prechtel and Belibi do fine.
Look, Tara has options and a multitude of players she can throw at Boston, and SC's other BIGs. South Carolina does not have an advantage in the post as much as some want to believe. Stanford is loaded at the 4/5 positions.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A very lot depends on the SC guards. For Dawn being a national team PG, I am surprised at how poorly SC guard development has been over the years - the best guard play she has gotten is with transfers it seems.

Everyone says how Boston has 'disappointed' this year, but when watching them play, it is surprising how often she is frozen out of the offense by her quick shooting guards. With a force like Boston, she should get a touch in every offensive set (and not out at the three point line.)

Reaction Score
A very lot depends on the SC guards. For Dawn being a national team PG, I am surprised at how poorly SC guard development has been over the years - the best guard play she has gotten is with transfers it seems.

Ty Harris was a four year starter, an All American, all SEC, and won the Dawn Staley award last freaking year.

Tiffany Mitchell was the two time SEC POY, an All American, and a Dawn Staley award winner.

Cooke was first team SEC this season. Henderson lead the league with 5 assists a game while shooting 40% from three point range.

Markeisha Grant, La'Keisha Sutton, Ieasia Walker, Val Naimina all earned all conference honors under Staley. As did Te'a Cooper.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'll grant you Jackson is plenty big (bigger than Boston though?), but Pili and Miller don't list any bigger than 6'1. And Jackson is hardly in the same class as a player (7 and 4).

Look, I was not beating my chest about how Boston was definitely going to dominate Brink.

I was saying that Staley would likely go right at her if that was the matchup.

And I expect that Stanford would do the same if that is the matchup South Carolina chose on the other end.

There are a lot of ways that Stanford can help Brink other than making it a pure one on one post battle and I'm sure they will do that.
It seems like you are moving the goal posts. My original point, and I'm sticking to it, is that Brink has played against several players who were obviously much heavier than her. I was never talking about how good that player might be, or their height, simply the matter that she has gone toe to toe w/ these players. And I forgot about Bessoir from UCLA, and also Sabally from Oregon who has to be one of the most physically aggressive posts in the country. And she just did fine against Louisville's Cochran.

This is all moot if the refs go after Brink against Boston the way they did against Jones from Oregon St.

Reaction Score
Don't sleep on Amihere. She has had a good tournament and starting to show why Dawn thinks she will be the best pro out of all the sophomores when it is all said and done.
Agreed. She's looking more like how she was before she was injured. It's nice to see her playing like that again.

Reaction Score
Tara will look to double team Boston more then likely, Saxton and Beal will be open a lot.

Reaction Score
Ty Harris was a four year starter, an All American, all SEC, and won the Dawn Staley award last freaking year.

Tiffany Mitchell was the two time SEC POY, an All American, and a Dawn Staley award winner.

Cooke was first team SEC this season. Henderson lead the league with 5 assists a game while shooting 40% from three point range.

Markeisha Grant, La'Keisha Sutton, Ieasia Walker, Val Naimina all earned all conference honors under Staley. As did Te'a Cooper.
Moriah should have won the Staley award instead Mitchell! She was the best guard in the country!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’d guess that Geno is impressing on the team that if they have a “lapse”, abandoning the movement on offense (as admitted by players in post game pressers), they’ll be sitting in the stands with SC ( my guess) watching the finals. They admitted that this is the reason they found themselves trailing the 2nd half.
Of course, he’ll phrase it in ways that will are way above my pay grade.
I trust his abilities as well as their dedication.
IT IS RIGHT THERE FOR THEM.
It is right there for them. They have put themselves in position to win the NC, but it’s not going to just fall in their lap. They will have to play the two best games of the season, and “take it.” That means no mental lapses, minimal turnovers, make your bunnies and your free throws. It also means playing tight "deny" defense and keeping their hands to themselves, always keeping in mind that you play defense with your feet, not your hands. When you're in the correct position defensively, you don't have to reach. It's when you get beat that you reach and grab that foul.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It seems like you are moving the goal posts. My original point, and I'm sticking to it, is that Brink has played against several players who were obviously much heavier than her. I was never talking about how good that player might be, or their height, simply the matter that she has gone toe to toe w/ these players. And I forgot about Bessoir from UCLA, and also Sabally from Oregon who has to be one of the most physically aggressive posts in the country. And she just did fine against Louisville's Cochran.

This is all moot if the refs go after Brink against Boston the way they did against Jones from Oregon St.
I don't mean to do that.

My counterpoint is that Boston is a much better player than the people that you mentioned. Brink's experience defending those players is not necessarily relevant to her matchup with Boston.

But again, I'm not saying that Boston is going to dominate the matchup. I'm just saying that Dawn is certainly going to test it early. I kind of doubt that Stanford will let it be a one on one matchup though. I would not.

I don't see how Brink is going to be able to force Boston out of the paint though. Seems like basic physics. That's why I think she gets help.

Reaction Score
Boston is one of the most overrated players in college basketball, don't me wrong she is a damn good player, but people talk about her as somebody that can take a game over and dominate and that is simply not the case. She is only averaging 14pt/gm in an offense that is primarily ran through her, her offensive arsenal mostly consists of put-back layups, she tried to add the 3 ball to her game this year but failed miserably shooting .261%, and she is not an elite shot blocker or defender despite her size. She is a good player, but is incapable of beating a team by herself ala Bueckers, Clarke, Evans, etc.

Reaction Score
Boston is one of the most overrated players in college basketball, don't me wrong she is a damn good player, but people talk about her as somebody that can take a game over and dominate and that is simply not the case. She is only averaging 14pt/gm in an offense that is primarily ran through her, her offensive arsenal mostly consists of put-back layups, she tried to add the 3 ball to her game this year but failed miserably shooting .261%, and she is not an elite shot blocker or defender despite her size. She is a good player, but is incapable of beating a team by herself ala Bueckers, Clarke, Evans, etc.
Yeah I would agree. She’s definitely a solid player, but people talk about her as if she’s generational and I don’t really see it. It may be the coaching where she hasn’t reached her full potential? But I just think there’s better players out there that deserve the hype she gets. Going 1-4 in back to back games shouldn’t happen if she’s an elite player. But hey that’s just me, she’s still young and has got time to grow into it. I’m sure if she was on UConn I would be screaming how she’s the best big we’ve ever seen LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom