Bost Globe:Invites held back because Marinatto wants to merge with MWC and CUSA | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bost Globe:Invites held back because Marinatto wants to merge with MWC and CUSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No there wont if nobody caves to them and there wont be any leagues left that will that are bvd. Worthy

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
That's why they in essence all agree to join the Big East, they all get the BE BCS Bid and get to negotiate a new contract when the Big East Does. I think it's crazy enough to possibly work.

If BE money looks like MWC money in the end, UConn football will disintegrate. UConn already subsidizes by $15 million, and now the TV money would be cut to MWC levels? Really? That's another $5 million charge.

Reaction Score
What do you want to do, just sit and wait for them to take it away? The reason these scenarios are being circulated is because it is starting to sink around the BE conference circles that the AQ will go away without WVA, Boise, Air Force, Navy, etc., joining, and it appears that the BE is about to get poached again, and that these schools aren't joining up.

Legally it might take away the right to sue. Let them strip the AQ away.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
This is exactly what the BCS conferences are hoping for - making everyone else second class citizens & allowing them to keep the big $$$ for themselves.

It is the same reason they are talking about paying players. They do not want to pay their student-athletes, but they know the competition can not afford to do so.

Voluntarily agreeing to such an situation makes no sense, unless you do not want to be in the football business.

I agree. This would be like forming another college football division and everyone in it would be ceding the big $ to the schools that are lucky enough to be included in the top conferences. If the BE basketball schools are pushing this, I'd say F them right now and leave. This is not a solution, it is just another capitulation and we may as well say, "we're not worthy" and bow down to the BCS. I'd also say that if all these schools do this voluntarily, it'd be hard to ever bring up any antitrust issues.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree. This would be like forming another college football division and everyone in it would be ceding the big $ to the schools that are lucky enough to be included in the top conferences. If the BE basketball schools are pushing this, I'd say F them right now and leave. This is not a solution, it is just another capitulation and we may as well say, "we're not worthy" and bow down to the BCS. I'd also say that if all these schools do this voluntarily, it'd be hard to ever bring up any antitrust issues.

You make a statement that qualifies the BE bb schools are pushing this. I would qualify it as well. I believe rumrunner has an agenda of wanting FB schools to break from bb schools and is trying to get UConn fans angrier at bb schools.

There is no quoted or linked source indicating this plan of a 28-32 team conference is supported by any BE schools. Nor is there any proof where Blaudschon got his document from. In fact the behavior in this forum supports my contention that the source is not from an official policy offered by the combined Conference MWC/CUSA, but a source without official sanction, whose agenda it is to creation tension amongst BE schools with the intent of stopping the BE from taking important schools from that merged conference. And if it isn't coming from within those conferences, there is a possibility that some other vested interest in sabotaging the BE is involved. These players easily could include the ACC, B12 or ESPN. I'm not saying anyone from this list is officially involved. But with all the rumors that people are clinging to and without the need to identify the source, anyone can create a new rumor which can get people to accept it for more than what it is worth, which is nothing.

Reaction Score
You make a statement that qualifies the BE bb schools are pushing this. I would qualify it as well. I believe rumrunner has an agenda of wanting FB schools to break from bb schools and is trying to get UConn fans angrier at bb schools.

There is no quoted or linked source indicating this plan of a 28-32 team conference is supported by any BE schools. Nor is there any proof where Blaudschon got his document from. In fact the behavior in this forum supports my contention that the source is not from an official policy offered by the combined Conference MWC/CUSA, but a source without official sanction, whose agenda it is to creation tension amongst BE schools with the intent of stopping the BE from taking important schools from that merged conference. And if it isn't coming from within those conferences, there is a possibility that some other vested interest in sabotaging the BE is involved. These players easily could include the ACC, B12 or ESPN. I'm not saying anyone from this list is officially involved. But with all the rumors that people are clinging to and without the need to identify the source, anyone can create a new rumor which can get people to accept it for more than what it is worth, which is nothing.
Check out the WVU realignment board & the Louisville board. There are threads with Dennis Dodd of CBSportsline confirming Blaudschun's blog & attributing the leak to Providence-Marinatto.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
If they run a playoff of 8 teams starting just before Thansgiving (week 10) I think they will get some ratings leading to the AQ game.

Round of 8
SMU v Houston
UConn v Cincy
Southern Miss v UAB
Boise v Nevada

Semis:
Houston v Cincy
Southern Miss v Boise

Finals
Cincy v Boise

That gets me all excited.

Have a little faith in the Huskies!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Check out the WVU realignment board & the Louisville board. There are threads with Dennis Dodd of CBSportsline confirming Blaudschun's blog & attributing the leak to Providence-Marinatto.

I read the article. There is nothing in it attributing the leak to Marinatto and the BE.

Here is the link: http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/32854353

Here are comments from this article saying where the document came from.

he Boston Globe and CBSSports.com received the document detailing the plan. The Globe first reported its details on Friday.

and

That could be self-serving propaganda from the Big Country. Conference USA and the Mountain West announced last week a 22-school alliance from which a champion could emerge that would snag a BCS bowl. Separately, the Mountain West recently proposed a 16-team FBS playoff.
The document obtained by CBSSports.com and the Globe goes on to detail “an alternative path” for the Big East worthy of “serious consideration.”

All it says is the document was obtained. Not even an official source or the bogus anonymous source claim.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I believe there are many proposals floating around. Marionette says they've modeled up to 24 teams or games in the BE.

We know the MVC has one goal and that's some sort of BCS AQ bid. We also know they are working with some Congressmen and would like to get the BE Congressmen onboard.

I don't think a proposal means anythng. The commissioners read stuff, they kick tires, they speak with media consultants, they wait for WVU to leave and they wait for the B12 to say "Done. We're stuffed!" and push the B12 plate away from the table.

It's part of due diligence. Does it make the product more marketable? You don't kow unless you model it and speak to the ESPN's Gordon Gecko to find out what kind of ,money interest is there

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
#begharder is looking like a rock solid strategy at this point. I think it's time to implement #bribeharder.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes, don't bury ourselves in mediocrity for a decade or so only to hope that we may emerge one day.

Hope harder appears to be your approach and I do not get it for the life of me (as for the most part you do appear to be pretty intelligent) as grasping at straws, hoping that one actually can be used as a safety tether is not a strategy.

The core problem still is what it has been since the football schools threatened (and backed off the second they were told they wouldn't fully get their way) to leave if they could not build a legitimate football conference a bit more than two decades ago. Were are serving two masters, not serving either well at all and using band-aids to attempt to repair severed limbs in order to keep this thing going.

I did propose an idea a few weeks back:
http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/maybe-were-looking-at-this-all-wrong.2786/#post-31586

There really isn't a whole lot that we can do here and what could have been done (i did post something in 2005 that was ridiculed by a few, I believe you included) stating that we (the entirety of the football membership) needed to view this as something permanent, like a marriage and at the same time try to model our schools and athletic programs after schools who we knew would always be safe (Michigan, North Carolina, Texas), schools who are attractive both athletically and academically, who have fan bases that will remain during less than stellar seasons. I questioned the intelligence of letting ESPN decide our football schedule (for the few extra dollars this was worth) as developing rivalries through season ending games (the only one we every really utilized was WVU-Pitt) and I complained that the idea that a random (at the time there were two schools that any BE school would not play and only three with return matchups) basketball schedule made any sense (again, for a few extra dollars up front).

If we were thinking long term (twenty, thirty years in the future) we would have had to accept the idea that the hybrid was nothing more than a crutch. We needed to build the UConn-Louisville men's basketball rivalry. We needed to capitalize fully on UConn-Cuse in men's basketball. We should have created two divisions (which we couldn't do as the supposed mantra was that we weren't really two distinct conference's) allowing the football membership to play home and home games with each other (filling out the schedule with some cross division games) and build or strengthen rivalries. This was an opportunity that we let slip by solely because we wanted to pretend that the model we had really was a conference (when in fact it was solely a collection of schools who, for the purposes of men's hoops was merely operating under the premise that it was a conference). During the stretch where our rivalry with Cuse in men's hoops could have been promoted as the new, top rivalry in the sport, We often played them once a season while ESPN promoted UNC-Duke to the point where the remainder of the ACC was left in the dust. We could have (and should have) demanded something back in 2005 (when the two most recent national champions were UConn & Cuse) close to what UNC-Duke received, promoting this rivalry as the marquee of the BE but not wanting to overshadow the catholic schools and taking the few extra upfront television dollars that no control over conference scheduling offered was more important.

We blew it. We didn't just blow it over the past six to eight weeks, this goes back years, decades. Thje most recent idea is a last gasp to keep the catholic schools aligned with the football schools because they are more worried than anyone. The bulk of the successful ones are afraid of being the only ones carrying around the dead weight at the bottom. The dead weight at the bottom is afraid that if they lose the football schools they may not be able to keep enough quality non football members to remain in a major conference. If this proposal (BIG USA) is the best we can do we are screwed, more royally than anything anyone could have predicted in August.

I still believe that this is not over. There will be no expansion beyond fourteen at the moment but shortly after the BCS allows a third school from one conference in a BCS bowl (the SEC has already petitioned for this), expansion to sixteen will quickly follow. This is where our opportunity will arrive as the SEC will move to sixteen and there is no way they will continue expanding west (unless OU can move without OSU).

Your proposal was to split off and form a 12 team conference, and your world included TCU and WVU, who are both gone. Which is not that different from mine. We can disagree on the hybrid, but the core argument is that UConn needs a strong Big East to be considered for future membership in the ACC or anywhere else.

So what you are saying is your ceaseless attacks on my criticism of Herbst for doing virtually nothing to keep the Big East together is simply you being a jerk, because we don't disagree all that much on substance. You just like to attack other posters. Got it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
#begharder is looking like a rock solid strategy at this point. I think it's time to implement #bribeharder.

#blackmailharder is better than bribe harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom