Borges: UConn to stick with lineup changes | The Boneyard

Borges: UConn to stick with lineup changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20160118/uconn-likely-to-stick-with-new-lineup-for-a-while

“I think he’s handling it well,” grad student Sterling Gibbs said of Purvis. “It’s always frustrating, because you want to be a starter. But at the same time, I think Rodney’s such a team guy, he knows that whatever Coach decides is the best decision.”

All signs point to Ollie sticking with that same lineup on Tuesday, when UConn (12-5, 3-2 AAC) hosts Tulane at the XL Center (7 p.m. CBS Sports Network).

“Unless somebody gets hurt, somebody comes to shootaround not doing what they’re supposed to do, I expect we’ll keep our starting lineup,” Ollie said after practice on Monday.

Adams certainly provided a jolt for UConn on Sunday, shooting 6-for-8 from the floor for 13 points to go with four rebounds (and five turnovers) in 32 minutes.

“(Ollie) just wants me to be really aggressive,” Adams said. “He thinks I can really create for others. I think that’s one of my strong suits — just getting to the lane and kicking out for guys like Sterling and Daniel (Hamilton), who are really good shooters, and create for Shonn (Miller).”

It also allows Gibbs, the team’s hottest shooter right now, to play off the ball a little more.

“I like how Jalen got in the lane,” noted Ollie. “Jalen’s gotta play a little bit better defense, we told him that. But, I thought he did a good job for his first start, in a great environment.”

Asked if Purvis handled the situation well, Ollie responded: “I thought he did. He played 20 minutes. If he didn’t get in foul trouble, he’d play probably the same minutes he’d usually play. We just wanted to make a change in our lineup. Hopefully, he brings some pop off the bench and we can get some production there.”

Reaction Score
Love the changes.

I think with Jalen starting were much more effective in the open court with fast break points.

I think in this same interview Ollie mentioned that were 6-0 when we score double digits in fast break points.

So important we continue this moving forward...

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Foul trouble certainly didn't help Purvis in his 1st bench game of the year. Let's see how he handles it going forward. Holding out hope Purv can still maintain his scoring punch and aggressiveness off the bench

Reaction Score
The starting lineup changes last game had no impact on the win. We were horrible the first 10 minutes. Hopefully we start much better next game. KO is right that JA needs to pick up his defense. He just couldn't keep his man in front of him. He got killed with guard penetration. Hopefully he can get a few assist next game. JA was solid offensively minus the 5 TO's that turned into 10 Houston points. KO has confidence in JA, hopefully he can earn that confidence with better play.

Reaction Score
I like Purvis coming off the bench. He scores in bunches and he could be the burst of energy we need from the bench.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I hope Steve Enoch gets about 15 minutes against Tulane...we need for him to grow quickly and be able to contribute 5 to 6 weeks from now

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to watch Rodney tonight to see how this lineup change will affect him. While it worked with Jalen and in turn helps Gibbs off the ball, we still need Rodney to buy in a positive manner while being passionate on both ends. Didn't like all that I saw from him the first game of change for him and it will be something to watch tonight.

Reaction Score
I really feel we need to get Omar going this 2nd half of the season. If he can break out we will have the team we expected. I wish there was a quick fix for him, because we do need his production (or anything positive).

Reaction Score
I hope Steve Enoch gets about 15 minutes against Tulane...we need for him to grow quickly and be able to contribute 5 to 6 weeks from now

This team may be a little more suited for Steve as he tries to figure out the speed of hedging, helping and getting back int he play. He's shown he is slow there but also has shown he can be our best inside scorer on the low block and I'd like to have more of that. Unfortunately I think this summer will be his most important time to prep for a big soph year. He will still get a couple minutes here and there but with Phil's comeback of sorts he fell down the ladder again a bit. Let's hope he finds his way back.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to watch Rodney tonight to see how this lineup change will affect him. While it worked with Jalen and in turn helps Gibbs off the ball, we still need Rodney to buy in a positive manner while being passionate on both ends. Didn't like all that I saw from him the first game of change for him and it will be something to watch tonight.
I agree, kids can be sensitive. McD AA and labeled a Ferrari now benched for a freshman. If he handles it well then he will have certainly earned his Husky stripes equal to any other of our beloved Huskies. The key is that this move certainly brings him back next year or will eliminate NBA aspirations this year.

Reaction Score
If there's one guy on the team I would think would he OK with this and be happy to help the team, it's Rodney. I'm sure he'll be fine.

I would think so too but Sunday wasn't the guy I expected. Let's see tonight.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
This team may be a little more suited for Steve as he tries to figure out the speed of hedging, helping and getting back int he play. He's shown he is slow there but also has shown he can be our best inside scorer on the low block and I'd like to have more of that. Unfortunately I think this summer will be his most important time to prep for a big soph year. He will still get a couple minutes here and there but with Phil's comeback of sorts he fell down the ladder again a bit. Let's hope he finds his way back.

We may see flashes of what Enoch will be as the season progresses but he has proven that he is far from ready to play d1?defense. I think we are best served by continuing to bring Phil back from the dead and getting facey straight. Experiment time is over, its narrow rotation time.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I really feel we need to get Omar going this 2nd half of the season. If he can break out we will have the team we expected. I wish there was a quick fix for him, because we do need his production (or anything positive).
Even the few minutes he is getting is impressive. To me, this is a whole different Omar. Last season you didn't even know he was out there. this year he is everywhere. I like it.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
People need to accept Omar for what he is at this point. He's a streaky shooter who doesn't really contribute in many other areas. If Omar is the key to us having a good team then consider us DOOMED

Reaction Score
People need to accept Omar for what he is at this point. He's a streaky shooter who doesn't really contribute in many other areas. If Omar is the key to us having a good team then consider us DOOMED
Omar has also gone from 3.6 to 5.2 REB/40 and from .3 to 1 BLK/40. He's definitely an improved defender this year and has been pretty efficient overall in his limited playing time. I love what Omar has been bringing.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
I like the lineup change because it's less about Purvis and more about getting Sterling off the ball to maximize his strengths.

Reaction Score
It is pretty safe to say Hamilton & Brimah are returning absent a miracle to the 2016-17 team. The only piece we could be missing to a Final4 next year in my opinion is what we could get from Purvis. A guy who has the proven potential to stroke it for 40% plus from behind the arc. Larrier and Gilbert won't be that next year. Jackson who knows. Of course it may not be in RP's best interest to return but with him next year (unless we add another shooter) our team is LOADED and primed for a potential 35 plus win season and 5th National Championship. Gilbert's work ethic will rub off on Adams. Gilbert will push Adams on and off the court. I don't think Rodney returns but man I still want him on next years team!

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Omar has also gone from 3.6 to 5.2 REB/40 and from .3 to 1 BLK/40. He's definitely an improved defender this year and has been pretty efficient overall in his limited playing time. I love what Omar has been bringing.
Sure he isn't as limited as his other seasons but if we are hoping for him to become consistent overnight then I wouldn't hold your breath is all I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom