Borges: Kentan Facey, Terrence Samuel Look Good in (and After) Jordan Brand Classic Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Borges: Kentan Facey, Terrence Samuel Look Good in (and After) Jordan Brand Classic Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if Facey starts over Omar. We have the best backcourt in the new conference, and one of the best in the country. Memphis would be the only conference team that would rival ours, and I doubt their young guns will be able to hang. That being said, we'll have 2 outstanding guards and a 3/4 that can shoot in DD. That leaves 2 spots which will be filled by any combo of OC, KF, or TO.
Why mess with DD at the PF were he normally has mismatches speed wise. At the SF that would be nullified. Starting lineup will be SN, RB, OC, DD and either PN or EW(if eligible). KF will be the first big off the bench. TO will be the next big off the bench. No way TO starts as he brings nothing to the starting lineup. Not sure why everybody wants to go with a big lineup when are best players are at the 1,2,3. That is why DD who probably should be a 3 is starting at 4. To put our best players on the court. I don't see EO and JB walking through those doors. Have to go to our strengths. Remember all these guys should get stronger with another year in the weight room also.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if Facey starts over Omar. We have the best backcourt in the new conference, and one of the best in the country. Memphis would be the only conference team that would rival ours, and I doubt their young guns will be able to hang. That being said, we'll have 2 outstanding guards and a 3/4 that can shoot in DD. That leaves 2 spots which will be filled by any combo of OC, KF, or TO.

I think Louisville will have something to say about that. Also, I don't see the connection between Omar and Facey. No way in hell is Facey playing the wing, and Omar's not playing power forward.

Reaction Score
I think Louisville will have something to say about that. Also, I don't see the connection between Omar and Facey. No way in hell is Facey playing the wing, and Omar's not playing power forward.

He's suggesting that Daniels play the 3, Facey the 4, and Omar off the bench. Which, of course, is not going to happen.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Why mess with DD at the PF were he normally has mismatches speed wise. At the SF that would be nullified. Starting lineup will be SN, RB, OC, DD and either PN or EW(if eligible). KF will be the first big off the bench. TO will be the next big off the bench. No way TO starts as he brings nothing to the starting lineup. Not sure why everybody wants to go with a big lineup when are best players are at the 1,2,3. That is why DD who probably should be a 3 is starting at 4. To put our best players on the court. I don't see EO and JB walking through those doors. Have to go to our strengths. Remember all these guys should get stronger with another year in the weight room also.

I agree with you that we have to go with our strengths, and that our strengths lie with our guards, but I think that UConn ought to set the pace and style in the new conference next year. If KO decides to get back to a rough and tough style with 2 outstanding guards to shoot and dish the ball, then there's no reason that the starting line up can't be SN and RB (obvious locks) with DD (lock), PN and KF.

Side note, I agree that TO brings nothing to the starting line up, but I think he'll get a lot of symbolic starts. One because he'll be a senior and two because he does have a good motor and attitude on and off the court. I remember during the 11-12 season when JC went on one of his tyrades during a press conference about how no one on the team wanted to play defense other than TO. He may not be overlly talented, but he sure does work hard.

Side note part 2, I personally guarantee (for whatever it's worth) that EW will never wear a UConn jersey again. KO has done an incredible job teaching these kids that there's a standard on the court and out in the real world that needs to be upheld. Whatever EW's reasons were for doing what he did, bottom line is that he crossed a line in a big way. Regardless of what the court systems say, if KO allows him to come back to the team, a lot of what KO has tried to instill in these kids will be washed away. EW is no longer a Husky.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score

Siva is gone and Smith is likely going to the NBA, so I think outside of Memphis there's no one to challenge UConn for the honors of best back court in the conference. to your second point, I'm not saying that KF is going going to play the wing, but why not SN at 1, RB at 2, DD at 3, PN at 4 and KF at 5?

Reaction Score
DeAndre Daniels was completely ineffective at SF as a freshman. As a sophomore, he was anywhere from somewhat effective to unbelievably effective as a face-up PF. And now we want to move him back to SF? It's not going to happen.

Everyone can stop overthinking this. Napier, Boatright, Calhoun, and Daniels are all going to start and all play 30+ minutes per game.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
Siva is gone and Smith is likely going to the NBA, so I think outside of Memphis there's no one to challenge UConn for the honors of best back court in the conference. to your second point, I'm not saying that KF is going going to play the wing, but why not SN at 1, RB at 2, DD at 3, PN at 4 and KF at 5?

Hancock/Blackshear, Behanan, and Harrell will still be a very talented frontcourt, and they're bringing in some good guard recruits led by Chris Jones, Louisville will still be a top 20 team. And yea, you guys gotta stop fighting this, 1-4 the lineup is set, 5 is the only spot up for grabs.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
DeAndre Daniels was completely ineffective at SF as a freshman. As a sophomore, he was anywhere from somewhat effective to unbelievably effective as a face-up PF. And now we want to move him back to SF? It's not going to happen.

Everyone can stop overthinking this. Napier, Boatright, Calhoun, and Daniels are all going to start and all play 30+ minutes per game.

Listen, I am in no way saying that I disagree with you. Calhoun is pretty much a guarantee to start and get a ton of minutes like you're saying. My only point in this whole thread is that when we need to go with a big line up I think that Facey is going to be a good option and that out of all of the starters, Calhoun is probably the one that would most likely be pulled.

Reaction Score
Listen, I am in no way saying that I disagree with you. Calhoun is pretty much a guarantee to start and get a ton of minutes like you're saying. My only point in this whole thread is that when we need to go with a big line up I think that Facey is going to be a good option and that out of all of the starters, Calhoun is probably the one that would most likely be pulled.

Fair enough. But going with a big lineup isn't something that's likely to happen for more than a few minutes per game. We have four really good players, and honestly our fifth best player is probably Giffey. The big guys are going to fight over the 40 minutes available at the 5 and whatever scraps Daniels and Giffey leave at the 4.

Reaction Score

Chris Jones is the national juco player of the year and will be running the point for them next year. They've got Hancock who I think is a fantastic college player and will have tons of confidence coming off the final four.

I also don't get the impulse to try to jam a kid who's an ideal 2013 college 4 into the wing position. We've seen this before with Rudy and Stanley. When you put a 6-9 kid out on the wing he's going to get ripped by 6-3 college wings and not be able to stick with those smaller guys on defense. DeAndre scored almost at will when he figure out how to play the 4.

Reaction Score
I agree with you that we have to go with our strengths, and that our strengths lie with our guards, but I think that UConn ought to set the pace and style in the new conference next year. If KO decides to get back to a rough and tough style with 2 outstanding guards to shoot and dish the ball, then there's no reason that the starting line up can't be SN and RB (obvious locks) with DD (lock), PN and KF.

Side note, I agree that TO brings nothing to the starting line up, but I think he'll get a lot of symbolic starts. One because he'll be a senior and two because he does have a good motor and attitude on and off the court. I remember during the 11-12 season when JC went on one of his tyrades during a press conference about how no one on the team wanted to play defense other than TO. He may not be overlly talented, but he sure does work hard.

Side note part 2, I personally guarantee (for whatever it's worth) that EW will never wear a UConn jersey again. KO has done an incredible job teaching these kids that there's a standard on the court and out in the real world that needs to be upheld. Whatever EW's reasons were for doing what he did, bottom line is that he crossed a line in a big way. Regardless of what the court systems say, if KO allows him to come back to the team, a lot of what KO has tried to instill in these kids will be washed away. EW is no longer a Husky.

TO will not start. He will have to work awfully hard just to get some minutes. Wolf will be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom