Borges: Is Providence College becoming heated rival for UConn men’s basketball team? Depends on who you ask | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Borges: Is Providence College becoming heated rival for UConn men’s basketball team? Depends on who you ask

Reaction Score
What? lol. It is a good thing that that game will generate buzz, I don't know why it is so hard for you to admit.
I think you're a bit confused what the discussion is then, I'm sure there will be buzz for the game because it's 2 local teams. What I'm saying is I wouldn't consider PC a rival

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, I can't remember a very important Providence / UConn game in years. I can think of huge games with Pitt, Syracuse, Villanova, Miami, St. Johns, Georgetown, Cincinnati... but there's not a "Providence - UConn" moment. When was the last time they played a game in the later rounds of the Big East tournament?

When I think of UConn - Providence games the two that come to mind are Jim Calhoun blowing up over Ryan Gomes (and I couldn't even tell you if Providence or UConn did anything the rest of that year) and the final game of Ollie's first year when Napier was hurt but they won at Gampel vs. Providence.

Reaction Score
I think you're a bit confused what the discussion is then, I'm sure there will be buzz for the game because it's 2 local teams. What I'm saying is I wouldn't consider PC a rival
They need to keep beating us for it to develop into one. Do you see Creighton becoming one?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Our only real rivals are Syracuse and Pitt. We all dislike Duke more than the former, but they are not our rivals.

Reaction Score
They need to keep beating us for it to develop into one. Do you see Creighton becoming one?
Not really, I guess if they're consistently a top 3 BE team along with us and Villanova it could happen. But there has to be something more than just 2 good teams playing for a rivalry and I don't see any UConn fan caring enough about Creighton for that to ever happen

Reaction Score
Not really, I guess if they're consistently a top 3 BE team along with us and Villanova it could happen. But there has to be something more than just 2 good teams playing for a rivalry and I don't see any UConn fan caring enough about Creighton for that to ever happen
I suspect if you were to ask the current players and coaches who are rivals are they would list Villanova, Creighton and Providence ahead of Syracuse and Pitt. Those two probably aren’t on it.

Reaction Score
Being in the same league matters. Ask the players

Reaction Score
I suspect if you were to ask the current players and coaches who are rivals are they would list Villanova, Creighton and Providence ahead of Syracuse and Pitt. Those two probably aren’t on it.
I suspect you're wrong, seeing as the article that started this discussion consisted of Borges asking Dan Hurley if he considers Providence a rival and he said no

Reaction Score
I suspect you're wrong, seeing as the article that started this discussion consisted of Borges asking Dan Hurley if he considers Providence a rival and he said no
He clearly wasn't happy about the Floyd thing. He isn't going to just start throwing them compliments now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Isn't that usually what rivalries are?
Somewhat. To have a true rivalry I think there also has to be a case where teams are perceived as winning meaningful victories. Providence really hasn’t done that. To be honest, other than this year‘s COVID assisted run, they really haven’t done much since Ernie DiGregorio.

So, for me at least, Providence is a collective “meh.” I want to win the games we play against them because they are a conference opponent, but that certainly not different then other conference teams. They aren’t a date I would circle on the schedule. The fact that it is for Providence fans is… nice for them, I guess.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I stand by the sentence. Historically, we have much more history with URI. We do have more history with URI. That is simply a fact.
Nah, the last game we played in anger against URI came in 1979. Of course Providence is our big rival now. The reason we don't have a pre-Big East history with them is because they wouldn't play us back then. And the only reason we don't have a bigger Big East 1.0 rivalry with them is because the were only good a couple years per decade while we were always good. But trust me, the years they were good, the games were crackling. Now that we're both good and just a short bus ride away it's game on.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Just my take but if I were to hear that we have a game scheduled with Cuse, whether it be in on of the greater NYC venues, Hartford or Gampel, I would take time off work, pay scalper prices and pull out all stops to be there.

If someone offered free, quality seats to a UConn-PC game, unless attending the game would be quite convenient (weekend, no concern over needing to head out too early or return home too late) there's a very strong likelyhood that I would pass.

Reaction Score
Just my take but if I were to hear that we have a game scheduled with Cuse, whether it be in on of the greater NYC venues, Hartford or Gampel, I would take time off work, pay scalper prices and pull out all stops to be there.

If someone offered free, quality seats to a UConn-PC game, unless attending the game would be quite convenient (weekend, no concern over needing to head out too early or return home too late) there's a very strong likelyhood that I would pass.
Sounds pretty casual

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom