Borges: Despite Instagram message, expect Vital back | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Borges: Despite Instagram message, expect Vital back

Reaction Score
One of the problems with this place (the internet) is that nuance gets lost.

I’ve said that I expect him back. But, GIANT IF, he doesn’t come back; it would be fair to ask if he was pushed out. Because, unless he desperately needs to find a team overseas to play for, the decision to leave now is foolish at best.
I strongly doubt DH would've pushed him out the door. It doesn't add up - why would DH voluntarily get rid of one of our leading rebounders, a leader in the locker room, a good shooter, and a relatively good ballhandler in favor of bringing in another grad transfer? The MUCH more likely scenario would be that he stayed in due to personal financial reasons.

Reaction Score
Article's about Jalen but there's some mention about Vital with a quote from Hurley:
Jeff Jacobs: With Jalen Adams remaining at UConn, Dan Hurley secures his most important recruit

Meanwhile in Delusionville, after Christian Vital on Friday declared himself eligible for the draft, but not hire an agent, he posted an Instagram, saying, “UConn, thank you for all of the opportunities you have given me on and off the court! I have come to peace with the decision that I will enter the 2018 NBA Draft.”

Vital’s message seemed mixed. Hurley’s message was measured.

“We had a couple of conversations,” Hurley said. “At this point, I support him in his decision to get some feedback and go through the process, as long as he fulfilling his duties as a student-athlete.”

Reaction Score
Another nugget from the Jacobs article:

"Vital could go overseas or try the G-League. He could transfer immediately, or at mid-season or do any of that after next season. Jere Quinn, who coached Vital at St. Thomas More, told our Dave Borges he believes Vital will return to UConn. Other sources say the same."

All in all, it's a pretty harsh rebuke of Vital's decision by JJ. He's certainly not wrong in anything he said, but unusual to see it from a writer. DH's comments are very clearly non-committal and muted by design. I get the sense that in reality DH is not quite on the same page as Christian here. It doesn't seem like many people are.

Reaction Score
Harsh but completely fair commentary from Jacobs on Vital. His lack of self-awareness is tough to comprehend.

Adams seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. I hope he completely buys into what Hurley is saying.

Reaction Score

"Vital could go overseas or try the G-League. He could transfer immediately, or at mid-season or do any of that after next season. Jere Quinn, who coached Vital at St. Thomas More, told our Dave Borges he believes Vital will return to UConn. Other sources say the same."

All in all, it's a pretty harsh rebuke of Vital's decision by JJ. He's certainly not wrong in anything he said, but unusual to see it from a writer. Dan Hurley's comments are very clearly non-committal and muted by design. I get the sense that in reality Dan Hurley is not quite on the same page as Christian here. It doesn't seem like many people are.

When a coach says of a player "at this point I support him," the clear message is that we are close to a point (if not at the point) where the coach doesn't support him.

Christian has every right to leave school and go overseas and earn some money, and if he wants or needs to do that good luck to him. But as a basketball matter -- what is good for his development and long term career -- he is on a crazy path. The sane path is to get ten toes in with Hurley now and see what this year brings.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When a coach says of a player "at this point I support him," the clear message is that we are close to a point (if not at the point) where the coach doesn't support him.

Christian has every right to leave school and go overseas and earn some money, and if he wants or needs to do that good luck to him. But as a basketball matter -- what is good for his development and long term career -- he is on a crazy path. The same path is to get ten toes in with Hurley now and see what this year brings.
CV is better off finishing his degree and starting out answering phones at Travelers for $40k than trying to make money overseas.

Reaction Score
CV is better off finishing his degree and starting out answering phones at Travelers for $40k than trying to make money overseas.
We don't know his family's current financial situation so it's wrong for us to advise him how to handle his financial future. That said, we can comment strictly from a basketball perspective and from that end it's foolish from a career growth perspective to leave now and try to grind it out in minor leagues around the world with less practice and growth opportunity as opposed to remaining in a structured and developmental environment. Basketball-wise, going pro now would be an incredibly bad decision.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think push comes to shove he comes back - but again - he's one of those guys i'm agnostic to. LOVE the kid - he's plucky - no doubt we're better with him than without him, but he's another player on this roster that if we lose him, can be replaced.
I have to disagree. It will be difficult to find someone this late in the recruiting season to bring fill his production.

He's the player with the most experience playing with Jalen. That counts for a lot.

He could be a beneficial leader his senior year.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

All in all, it's a pretty harsh rebuke of Vital's decision by JJ. He's certainly not wrong in anything he said, but unusual to see it from a writer. Dan Hurley's comments are very clearly non-committal and muted by design. I get the sense that in reality Dan Hurley is not quite on the same page as Christian here. It doesn't seem like many people are.
If someone thinks it's ridiculous to play the lottery because the odds are incredibly stacked against winning would it be a smart move for that individual to throw out a lottery ticket someone gives him for free before seeing the results?

If CV's family has some financial issue, if CV decides he wants to help them and believes his best shot is overseas, he plays the lottery ticket and declares he's heading for the NBA. He's got nothing to lose and the MORANs who think he's delusional because of a public declaration are more interested in public ridicule versus take the long shot because there is nothing to lose.

If CV really thinks his chances are great than it would be delusional. But I haven't seen it posted anywhere he declared that.

"That Guy" is making a case for a new name: "That Idiot"!!

Reaction Score
If someone thinks it's ridiculous to play the lottery because the odds are incredibly stacked against winning would it be a smart move for that individual to throw out a lottery ticket someone gives him for free before seeing the results?

If CV's family has some financial issue, if CV decides he wants to help them and believes his best shot is overseas, he plays the lottery ticket and declares he's heading for the NBA. He's got nothing to lose and the MORANs who think he's delusional because of a public declaration are more interested in public ridicule versus take the long shot because there is nothing to lose.

If CV really thinks his chances are great than it would be delusional. But I haven't seen it posted anywhere he declared that.

"That Guy" is making a case for a new name: "That Idiot"!!

That entire raving ignores that fact that CV told us goodbye. You're acting as if he's testing the waters without any declaration about his future.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That entire raving ignores that fact that CV told us goodbye. You're acting as if he's testing the waters without any declaration about his future.
That raving hypothesizes he's leaving. And testing the NBA is not delusional.

Reaction Score
Did he actually say goodbye or did he just word his post in an unclear manner?

He did not use the word goodbye. But there was/is only one rational interpretation of his post. if you choose to believe in an irrational interpretation of his words, more power to you. But don't expect us to do so. His words were not subject to multiple interpretations. He's either leaving or he misspoke.

Reaction Score
That raving hypothesizes he's leaving. And testing the NBA is not delusional.
Declaring for the draft without hiring an agent to test the waters and get developmental feedback is not at all delusional. Staying in the draft and forgoing his collegiate eligibility would be delusional from a basketball standpoint. If he wants to try and better his family's financial situation that's a different story that we don't have the information to comment on. But in terms of maximizing his potential as a basketball player it's completely indisputable that leaving college now is a horrendous idea.

Reaction Score
He did not use the word goodbye. But there was/is only one rational interpretation of his post. if you choose to believe in an irrational interpretation of his words, more power to you. But don't expect us to do so. His words were not subject to multiple interpretations. He's either leaving or he misspoke.
He didn’t misspeak. You drew your own conclusions based on what he said. Not once did he say he was definitively leaving.

Reaction Score

Jesus, why? He's got the next 60 years to be a cubicle monkey. Seeing new countries and making a (modest) living playing basketball doesn't sound like a terrible way to spend your early 20s. The soul-crushing office job will be there.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Declaring for the draft without hiring an agent to test the waters and get developmental feedback is not at all delusional. Staying in the draft and forgoing his collegiate eligibility would be delusional from a basketball standpoint. If he wants to try and better his family's financial situation that's a different story that we don't have the information to comment on. But in terms of maximizing his potential as a basketball player it's completely indisputable that leaving college now is a horrendous idea.
I agree.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He didn’t misspeak. You drew your own conclusions based on what he said. Not once did he say he was definitively leaving.
No he did not say he was definitely leaving. The wording in his instagram implied it however.
Even in the interview with Some Guy it appears Hurley is unsure which way CV is leaning.

Thanking UConn for support could be read as him being grateful for his situation at UConn up to now as opposed to a farewell. You've been right on JA. How about going two for two!

Reaction Score
I agree that is reads as if he's leaving but I don't think it was meant that way. There's no way of knowing that for sure though

Reaction Score
No he did not say he was definitely leaving. The wording in his instagram implied it however.
Even in the interview with Some Guy it appears Hurley is unsure which way CV is leaning.

Thanking UConn for support could be read as him being grateful for his situation at UConn up to now as opposed to a farewell. You've been right on JA. How about going two for two!
I hope so too! Lol. I’m just fighting the narrative that he “mispoke” and “said he’s leaving”. I prefer to wait until he actually announces his decision before I fret about it

Reaction Score
There's no way of knowing that for sure though
And I think that's what Jacobs and others here are getting at - that there's even a possibility that CV is going to stay in the draft is ludicrous from a basketball perspective. I agree that we can't read his IG comment to be a 100% decision that he's gone, but it's fair to say that right now it's a 50/50 shot he is not in fact just getting feedback from pro scouts and he actually does stay in the draft. That there's a 50% chance he hires an agent and this isn't just taking advantage of the opportunity to workout with the pros is what many are commenting on. We've moved far beyond the "Well, no one actually thinks he's leaving" point.

Reaction Score

Are you also the type that sends texts saying "if I never see you again, I love you?"

Reaction Score
Jesus, why? He's got the next 60 years to be a cubicle monkey. Seeing new countries and making a (modest) living playing basketball doesn't sound like a terrible way to spend your early 20s. The soul-crushing office job will be there.

Might not be if you don't finish your degree, at least not a decent one where you could help out a family in poor financial shape (if true). Won't have scholarship to go back and finish the degree later.

Vital is not exactly going to be in demand in Europe. DeAndre Daniels, top 10 recruit, NCAA champion, drafted by NBA, played in Fran Fraschilla's 13th best league in the world and then after getting injured opted to make 30k playing in the G League instead (an option unlikely to be open for Vital). Will Vital make $20-30k playing in a mid to lower tier league with teammates who don't speak English and wondering if he'll get paid on time? Not sure that will really help his family out.

Reaction Score
I strongly doubt Dan Hurley would've pushed him out the door. It doesn't add up - why would Dan Hurley voluntarily get rid of one of our leading rebounders, a leader in the locker room, a good shooter, and a relatively good ballhandler in favor of bringing in another grad transfer? The MUCH more likely scenario would be that he stayed in due to personal financial reasons.
I agree, I just think it's a fair question.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom