Borges: Daniel Hamilton ready to take on new role as leader | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Borges: Daniel Hamilton ready to take on new role as leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great line but I always loved Marcus Williams at the point. Had incredible court vision and handle. Thought he would have a good NBA career, but was wrong about that.

I think the comment was sort of in jest, and I said the same thing to myself before I read this comment. Marcus was also one of my favorite UConn PG's of all time (I'd put him top 5), but I think it's well known that much of the reason he failed in the NBA was due to his inability to stay in shape. Uncanny vision, ability to control tempo, and really was a great shooter from the PG position for us his Sophomore and Junior years.

Reaction Score
I've been watching a bunch of games from the 1998 team....El Amin was unbelievable as a freshman. The game against UNC was tough, but we could have taken them down if Rip and others weren't sick. The UNC home game did not help, but it didn't seem to be that big of a deal while watching the game. They knew they were in a game. It was really Vince Carter who killed us.

UNC played UNC Charlotte in the second round in Hartford that year. I went to the game with my father and of course we were cheering hard for UNC Charlotte. That UNC team was stacked with Cota, Jamison, and Carter. UNC Charlotte inbounded the ball with the game tied with a couple seconds to go. I don't think they even got a shot off and then UNC crushed them in overtime.

In the other game I think Princeton almost pulled out a win over Mich. State. Great day of basketball. If UNC had lost we would have had a free pass into the final four that year, but it wasn't meant to be until the following year.

Reaction Score
@champs99and04 What do you think Ollie is suggesting here? What about our personnel suggests an alternative coaching style? Are we truly going to try to exploit our depth with run and gun? That would seem to be anti Ollie.
The hallmark of a great coach is adjusting a team's scheme to fit the personnel, not the other way around (which, IMO, is part of the reason Syracuse often flounders in March). That's what Ollie is getting at here. Ollie has achieved major success in his young career, but he won't rest on his laurels. He has to constantly be adapting, and put offensive and defensive schemes into place that fit each unique roster.

To take it a step further, this will be the first year in Ollie's tenure that we won't have a clear-cut leader and ball-dominant guard. In the past few seasons, our offense has largely been 'Boat or Bazz, go make a play.' That's overly simplified, but not too far from the truth.

This year, we have a ton of depth and versatility on the roster. This team is likely better suited for a share-the-wealth 'pace and space' offense. We have numerous players with multifaceted offensive repertoires, and DHam's playmaking ability from the wing should be an interesting wrinkle in our offense. It's all about creating mismatches and getting efficient shots, and how that is achieved is dependent on the personnel.

Schematically, this year will likely be different than what we've grown accustomed to over the past several years - at least offensively. I'm sure we'll still hang our hat on our tough-nosed, physical defense, but it'll be interesting to see how our offense operates.

It's not so much a coaching style change, but a shift in how we gameplan to generate efficient points.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The hallmark of a great coach is adjusting a team's scheme to fit the personnel, not the other way around (which, IMO, is part of the reason Syracuse often flounders in March). That's what Ollie is getting at here. Ollie has achieved major success in his young career, but he won't rest on his laurels. He has to constantly be adapting, and put offensive and defensive schemes into place that fit each unique roster.

To take it a step further, this will be the first year in Ollie's tenure that we won't have a clear-cut leader and ball-dominant guard. In the past few seasons, our offense has largely been 'Boat or Bazz, go make a play.' That's overly simplified, but not too far from the truth.

This year, we have a ton of depth and versatility on the roster. This team is likely better suited for a share-the-wealth 'pace and space' offense. We have numerous players with multifaceted offensive repertoires, and DHam's playmaking ability from the wing should be an interesting wrinkle in our offense. It's all about creating mismatches and getting efficient shots, and how that is achieved is dependent on the personnel.

Schematically, this year will likely be different than what we've grown accustomed to over the past several years - at least offensively. I'm sure we'll still hang our hat on our tough-nosed, physical defense, but it'll be interesting to see how our offense operates.

It's not so much a coaching style change, but a shift in how we gameplan to generate efficient points.
We're saying the same thing. My question, which you answered, was what would change in the x's and o's given the personnel.

Reaction Score
We're saying the same thing. My question, which you answered, was what would change in the x's and o's given the personnel.
Miller is the toughest newcomer for me to get a read on. I'm sure he'll get his fair share of minutes on the floor, especially for his defensive and rebounding prowess, but I picture a lineup of Jalen-Gibbs-Purvis-Hamilton-Brimah as an offensive juggernaut.

I can already picture Jalen getting screens at the top of the key from DHam, with Gibbs as a spot-up shooter and Purvis as a shooter/opportunistic slasher. If Jalen gets by the first layer of help, he'll have an easy bucket at the rim. If the second layer of help comes (i.e. Brimah's defender), he's got an easy lob to Brimah.

If teams double the screen or hedge hard, DHam will have the ball in open space where he can score or create for others as the defense scrambles to recover. Hamilton's all-around game and playmaking from the 3/4 is what will really allow this offense run so smoothly.

There's a lot to be excited about with this team. Not only do we have a ton of talent, the pieces just fit together so well.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Miller is the toughest newcomer for me to get a read on. I'm sure he'll get his fair share of minutes on the floor, especially for his defensive and rebounding prowess, but I picture a lineup of Jalen-Gibbs-Purvis-Hamilton-Brimah as an offensive juggernaut.

I can already picture Jalen getting screens at the top of the key from DHam, with Gibbs as a spot-up shooter and Purvis as a shooter/opportunistic slasher. If Jalen gets by the first layer of help, he'll have an easy bucket at the rim. If the second layer of help comes (i.e. Brimah's defender), he's got an easy lob to Brimah.

If teams double the screen or hedge hard, DHam will have the ball in open space where he can score or create for others as the defense scrambles to recover. Hamilton's all-around game and playmaking from the 3/4 is what will really allow this offense run so smoothly.

There's a lot to be excited about with this team. Not only do we have a ton of talent, the pieces just fit together so well.
I think many are underestimating Miller's offensive talent outside in. Most are quick to key on the guard 3 positions and rebound elements, but the highlight reel that @tcf15 put together showed a quick first step and an ability to finish at the rim. The shots weren't falling in the televised games but his % is up there high enough to keep defenses honest and might improve when the only shots he's taking are within the flow of the offense vs. to bail out his team late shotclock like he sometimes had to do at Cornell. I can't wait for first night.

Reaction Score
@champs99and04 What do you think Ollie is suggesting here? What about our personnel suggests an alternative coaching style? Are we truly going to try to exploit our depth with run and gun? That would seem to be anti Ollie.

You know me too well. Asking these type of questions will always spin my mind into a frenetic state that eliminates my ability to read social cues...such as when to stop talking.

It's interesting because, at least to date, Ollie's reluctance to install a consistent transition attack has completely contradicted how Ollie would like to play idealistically.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, because last season I fell head over heels for the off-season posturing about how they finally had the horses to play fast and how the games would be played at a breakneck pace compared to the 2013 and 2014 teams (or maybe I created this narrative on my own, I don't remember).

But Ollie's prototype as a head coach seems to be someone like Steve Kerr, and - independent of his success in his first year with the Warriors - I think they share many of the same beliefs as it relates to the game...and they're already both pretty ahead of the curve, IMO, in anticipating how the game is going to evolve.

I can only guess how whatever it is he envisions as an alternative coaching style will translate to the court, but I suspect it has a lot to do with those very same Golden State Warriors. Obviously, their personnel is unrivaled in the sense that no college coach will ever be able to completely mimic it, but I don't think what we saw last season - which, at least to me, was more geared towards a spread offense - is going to carry over much to this year. Hell...even our 2013 and 2014 teams were not able to easily generate baskets, the type of baskets that tend to occur organically when everybody on the roster is not only familiar with the schemes, but also recruited for precisely their ability to excel in a particular role.

Part three of my preview explores this in much more detail (if you thought that was possible), but the gist of it is that pick-and-rolls are going to govern the offense in a way that I don't think has a precedent with this program...at least not since I've been watching. The spark notes version, though, is that the personnel complements each other in a way that it hasn't since at least 2009, and maybe ever. So, instead of a 1-5 pick-and-roll being DOA because the surrounding pieces did not posses the skills to advance the apparatus of motion that pick-and-rolls tend to spring, suddenly, defenses that are forced to defend a two man action with three players are compressed to the bare bone, making them far more vulnerable to secondary drives on the reversal. This type of offense only works, though, if at least four guys are comfortable making plays off the bounce.

In regards to the transition game, I think it is too early to tell, but it definitely wouldn't shock me. And, when the guys on the team emphasize their desire to run more, I tend to think they are referring to the secondary break as much as anything, and Golden State was one of the most prolific squads we have ever seen in that regard. Obviously, set defenses are tougher to crack, and even if it is a 3 on 3, suddenly the defenders are forced to react more spontaneously than they would in a normal alignment. As you say, depth will play a big role if we do decide to run more. That isn't something we've had in a while...up tempo basketball just isn't as viable when you're asking your point guard to do everything on both ends for 38 minutes a night.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I can already picture Hamilton at the FT line having the choice of driving and throwing tear drops to Brimah on one side and Miller on the other or a kickout to Purvis for the corner 3. Gibbs rotates to the top of the from the other side to balance and reset the floor.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
So, instead of a 1-5 pick-and-roll being DOA because the surrounding pieces did not posses the skills to advance the apparatus of motion that pick-and-rolls tend to spring, suddenly, defenses that are forced to defend a two man action with three players are compressed to the bare bone, making them far more vulnerable to secondary drives on the reversal. This type of offense only works, though, if at least four guys are comfortable making plays off the bounce.
- @champs99and04

I love stuff like the above, why I asked.

You know there are telestrator apps you can get for your home PC now? I say we crowd source you the cost of one and have @tcf15 feed you clips. I want a game by game tape review please.

Edit: Telestrator app: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/telestrator/9wzdncrdkht6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom