Borges 2021 Recruiting Article | The Boneyard

Borges 2021 Recruiting Article

Reaction Score
With 2020 recruiting class sealed, UConn searching for guards and wings for 2021

Interesting article from Borges. Provides a list of recruits the coaches are mostly going after as:

Trevor Keels
Trey Patterson
Quincy Allen
El Ellis
Rashool Diggins
Jordan Hawkins
Samson Johnson
Jaylin Blakes
Jordan Longino

Surprisingly no mention of Hunter Sallis. I thought the staff was hot on his trail?

Maybe should have read the tea leaves when they picked up the recruitment of El Ellis. Will be interesting/exciting nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jaylen Blakes
Jaylin Blakes
these the same guy?

maybe we moved on from Etienne after all. oh well don't need him.

1. PG- Diggins/Blakes (think we get Blakes)
2. SG- keels/ellis/hawkins/longino (think we get ellis or hawkins)
3. SF- Patterson/Allen (think we get Allen)
4. PF- Johnson (only PF on the list)

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
crap, i absolutely cannot subscribe to another periodical at this point, so link no workie. Any other good stuff in there?

my first reaction to that list was WT_? then i remembered Clingan is 2022...

Reaction Score
these the same guy?

I think him being the only PF is more a signal of the fact that they aren't prioritizing that position. I wouldn't expect a PF commit unless thongs change. Springs, Akok, and even Martin/Jackson for small-ball can all play the 4. Might be wrong though obviously.

Priority seems to be a combo guard, and big wings that can shoot right now.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
No Mac etienne? Considering this is last year for both carlton and whaley.
Kind of a surprise, but makes me think (hope?) Hurley and Co. feel like they're in a god spot with Clingan, and could better use the scholly in other positions. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Jordan Hawkins is going to be a beast
I want him so bad but doubt he looks at UConn
He was under the radar for a while- no more...................................

Reaction Score
these the same guy?

Thanks for the catch! Yes, haha same guy

Reaction Score
Kind of a surprise, but makes me think (hope?) Hurley and Co. feel like they're in a god spot with Clingan, and could better use the scholly in other positions. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yea, the article specifies (predicts) Sanogo/Brown-Ferguson/Springs and Akok in the fold as big men for the 2021-2022 season, leaving the staff to focus their recruiting efforts on Clingan for 2022. Also mentions they’ll be in a battle for him.

Reaction Score
I think him being the only PF is more a signal of the fact that they aren't prioritizing that position. I wouldn't expect a PF commit unless thongs change. Springs, Akok, and even Martin/Jackson for small-ball can all play the 4. Might be wrong though obviously.
agree with all that.

my counterpoint would be that 2021 is super weak at the PF spot. gabe wiznitzer (#124) and akoldah gak (#168) are the only available PFs in the north atlantic even ranked in the top 200.

so maybe hurley has just zeroed in on Samson as being the best prospect. Even though samson's currently unranked he's got a great offer list: Syracuse, Marquette, Xavier, Miami, Cincy...wouldnt be surprised if he eventually gets into the top 150

Reaction Score
agree with all that.

my counterpoint would be that 2021 is super weak at the PF spot. gabe wiznitzer (#124) and akoldah gak (#168) are the only available PFs in the north atlantic even ranked in the top 200.

so maybe hurley has just zeroed in on Samson as being the best prospect. Even though samson's currently unranked he's got a great offer list: Syracuse, Marquette, Xavier, Miami, Cincy...wouldnt be surprised if he eventually gets into the top 150

Also could just be that no one wants to be labeled a PF any more. Everyone is a wing or a guard unless they're 7' tall.

Good point though.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure Clingan is ours to lose. With his interest in UConn, his dad’s seeming affinity for state u and the relentlessness of our staff in getting their man, I feel really good about Clingan being a Husky.

Etienne isn’t a need any more, but I love his style and hope we can still land him somehow. He’s just got Joakim Noah written all over him.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure Clingan is ours to lose. With his interest in UConn, his dad’s seeming affinity for state u and the relentlessness of our staff in getting their man, I feel really good about Clingan being a Husky.

Etienne isn’t a need any more, but I love his style and hope we can still land him somehow. He’s just got Joakim Noah written all over him.
Supposedly we're getting big Clingan news in about 2 weeks, we'll see what it is or if it even actually happens

Reaction Score
Not saying I want to pass on Mac, but it’ll definitely look good if Hurley tells Clingan that 2021-22 will be Sanogo’s last year and that there will be minutes immediately available.

Reaction Score
2021 Top 200- New England to DMV
(plus all other offers in bold)

7. AJ Griffin- SF- NY (Duke Commit)
11. Aminu Mohammed- SF- DC (1 level 3 crystal ball for Lville)
*16. Trevor Keels- SG- VA
19. Hunter Sallis- CG- NE

21. Efton Reid- C- VA
24. Jalen Warley- CG- PA
25. Franck Kepnang- C- PA
*34. Trey Patterson- SF- NJ (Nova Commit)

46. Benny Williams- SF- MD (Syracuse commit)
*48. Quincy Allen- SF- DC
*49. Jordan Longino- SG- PA (1 level 6 crystal ball for Nova)
*50. Jordan Hawkins- SG- MD
52. Roosevelt Wheeler- C- VA
53. Micawber Etienne- C- CT
*54. Rahsool Diggins- PG- PA

77. Ike Cornish- SG- MD (Maryland Commit)
80. Nnana Njoku- C- DE (Nova Commit)

82. Jakai Robinson- SG- MD (1 level 6 crystal ball for Seton Hall)
89. Shane Dezonie- SG- NJ
93. Erik Reynolds- CG- MD
95. Julian Reese- PF- MD (Maryland Commit)
98. Tyrese Hunter- PG- WI

99. Stevie Mitchell- PG- PA
102. John Camden- SF- PA (2 level 6 crystal balls for Virginia Tech)
104. Stevie Mitchell- PG- PA
108. Bensley Joseph- PG- MA
113. Casey Simmons- SG- MA
*114- Samson Johnson- PF- NJ
118. Nate Santos- SF- CT
120. Angelo Brizzi- PG- VA
131. Brayon Freeman- PG- VA
132. Ryan Conway- PG- MD (Seton Hall Commit)
134. Jalen Ricks- SG- VA (1 level 6 crystal ball for Arkansas)
136. Bretner Mutombo- C- NJ
139. Jaylen Murray- PG- CT
*140. Jaylen Blakes- CG- NJ
149. Bennet Pitcher- C- MA (Harvard Commit)
171. Elijah Hutchins Everett- C- NJ
185. TJ Morris- SG- NY
187. Lynn Greer- PG- PA
188. Akoldah Gak- PF- NJ

NR- Jordan Riley- SG- NY
NR- Lucas Taylor- SG- NC

*JUCO- El Ellis- PG- FL (Louisville Commit)

# of Offers- 20
# of Offers Remaining- 16
* priority target

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not saying I want to pass on Mac, but it’ll definitely look good if Hurley tells Clingan that 2021-22 will be Sanogo’s last year and that there will be minutes immediately available.
Sanogo wants to develop into a 4. At his size, with NBA aspirations, he probably needs to. That means he’d be able to play alongside Clingan - although that’s a lot of beef in the paint at once.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Sanogo wants to develop into a 4. At his size, with NBA aspirations, he probably needs to. That means he’d be able to play alongside Clingan - although that’s a lot of beef in the paint at once.
I disagree, his size is fine for an NBA center he’ll be listed at 6’10, his wingspan measured 7’2.5 a year ago.

Reaction Score
I disagree, his size is fine for an NBA center he’ll be listed at 6’10, his wingspan measured 7’2.5 a year ago.

Agreed. That will have to be his position. He has 0 shooting and basically 0 ballhandling ability. He is a throwback 5 that wants to bang down low. Not at a premium in the NBA right now, but he has a chance. It's also a tremendously successful skillset in college still--good for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom